Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dvader123

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 27, 2010
...you can go on the internet mostly through wifi?

There are plenty of service plans that offer 250MB and 500MB monthly plans. Have you or someone you know picked one of those plans and were satisfied with it?

I figure that 250MB is enough if you're planning to go on google or checking email once or twice a day using 3G/4G service. If there's wifi then I'd fire up the youtube videos =)

A second question: Is there an option to turn off the 3G/4G network so that you can only use it on wifi or when wifi is available?

Obviously, I don't have an iphone so that's why I am asking.

Thanks.

Eileen89

macrumors 65816
Aug 12, 2014
My children have iPhones on AT&T's prepaid $25/month plan. They do not have a data plan as they are able to use WiFi most of the time.

Yes, you can turn off cellular data and just use WiFi on the iPhone if that is what you want to do.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Plans like that generate great income to carriers.
Most can go over that amount in less than a half hour of data usage.
And then the overages start racking up.
Its doable if you keep watching your data use and keep turning of cellular data but hard I would imagine.

Eileen89

macrumors 65816
Aug 12, 2014
Its doable if you keep watching your data use and keep turning of cellular data but hard I would imagine.

True. Verizon's overage plan on data is up to $15/1GB. That is nothing on today's LTE smartphone devices.

FSMBP

macrumors 68030
Jan 22, 2009
For 3 years, I've had AT&T's 200MB plan. Never went over. My house & work have WiFi. When I was out, I didn't watch what I did really - I browsed the web a lot, iMessage, etc (but I would avoid YouTube or listening to Pandora too much).

juanrp

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2014
Florida
My father made this mistake a long time ago when he added my phone to his then good family plan, he got 300MB per phone.

Ahh, the memories. I was uneducated about iPhones and everything iOS 6 so I left ALL my apps open and used up my data in 2 days.

Now we have the unlimited talk/text/10GB of data to share. I still use more Gigs than the rest of my family combined. (It's actually cheaper than before)

If you are going to use your phone on a restricted plan, turn off your cellular, or you'll see the overage fees start to pile up.

Settings > cellular > switch cellular data off.

braddick

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2009
Encinitas, CA

With Consumer Cellular, as you are signing up you may request to have data turned off- making only WIFI possible. No way to rack up charges that way.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
With Consumer Cellular, as you are signing up you may request to have data turned off- making only WIFI possible. No way to rack up charges that way.

That's pretty good.
At least you know if you're on budget you won't go over your plan a little and pay extra.
But that would cut tons of profits every month to the 2 big carriers so doubt they would offer a similar option.

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
I use AT&T's $25 a month plan with no data when I'm in the states, in other countries where data is more affordable I tend to get it.

dvader123

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 27, 2010
Thanks for the replies. One of the comments had me wondering. Can open apps use cellular data even if you are not actively using it?

That's scary because you might have your phone in your pocket the entire day and then when you go to check your data consumption, you might be surprised that it's all used up from running background programs.

I'm wondering. Is that possible?

juanrp

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2014
Florida
Thanks for the replies. One of the comments had me wondering. Can open apps use cellular data even if you are not actively using it?

That's scary because you might have your phone in your pocket the entire day and then when you go to check your data consumption, you might be surprised that it's all used up from running background programs.

I'm wondering. Is that possible?

If you turn cellular off, then you'll apps won't have the connection to work. However, some apps, like kik, are always looking for a connection. It always says "connecting.." When it loses the dats connection. That could drain your battery if they're constantly looking for that connection.

Close your apps completely ;)

1981d

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2013
Straight Talk offers 3gb of 4g data on ATT's network for $45 a month ( and 2g speeds after that). If ATT is strong where you live that would be a cheaper and better option than the big carriers 250 mb plans.

dvader123

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 27, 2010
Straight Talk offers 3gb of 4g data on ATT's network for $45 a month ( and 2g speeds after that). If ATT is strong where you live that would be a cheaper and better option than the big carriers 250 mb plans.
Thanks. I might stick with Verizon because of the coverage I get in my area.

I think what I'll do is get an iphone with the cheapest plan and have the data turned off 24-7, relying totally on wifi. I'll turn on my cellular data only when I am out and need to look up something important (e.g. directions, urgent email, etc.)

nostresshere

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2010
I think what I'll do is get an iphone with the cheapest plan and have the data turned off 24-7, relying totally on wifi. I'll turn on my cellular data only when I am out and need to look up something important (e.g. directions, urgent email, etc.)

VERY SIMPLE way to solve the problem of data over charges, etc.

An excellent way to go for some people. Great for those folks, not for others.

Simple stuff.

jr866gooner

macrumors 68020
Aug 24, 2013
On a 512mb deal. Wifi at home, work, in laws, sis in laws friends and even around Cambridge given that I work at the university! Never really exceed a few hundred mb if out without wifi

kevink2

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2008
If I was using the 300MB plan, I would go into settings and limit my cellular data to specific apps. No downloading 98 meg app updates over cellular. No streaming music. Even some news type apps use more data than I would expect.

Ever since my company's "free" wi-fi changed to requiring a certificate to be installed to enable https, and thereby breaking my personal email, I was using Wi-fi at work at lunch, etc. Now, I disable wi-fi and my usage has gone up.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.