Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

El Hikaru

macrumors regular
Dec 3, 2013
Someone explain me why this game was popular please. I downloaded right before removed, played a few times, 4 pipes we the most I could pass, and found out not so fun.

HowieIsaacks

macrumors regular
Nov 22, 2013
Addison, TX
Couldn't care less!

Why? So he can whine about making so much money again? This guy doesn't deserve all this free publicity. That B.S. he pulled earlier this year was clearly just a stunt.

----------

Someone explain me why this game was popular please. I downloaded right before removed, played a few times, 4 pipes we the most I could pass, and found out not so fun.

It was addictive. I played it off and on for a few weeks, then deleted it. Had it not been for that stupid stunt the developer pulled about being so successful, I might care about this.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
so wow, now instead random object flying to the right it is now random object flying to the top ???? Can wait for all the Flappy clones to be converted to this master change and release as new 'swing xyz'.

And then take a look at Call of Duty, Angry Birds and other creatively-bankrupt series.

----------

Sounds like a lot of people here still don't know about anxiety and being a break-out developer. I consider myself a fairly non-anxious person but over the past couple of weeks my companies Twitter account went from around 800-30,000 followers and it scared me. I didn't sit there with dollar signs in my eyes, it's scary to go from nothing to something so fast.

Eh, I just wonder about the kind of people who play down the creators anxiety. Is money the only thing of value to them? Have they ever had instant fame? How good are they at coping with things in general?

GeneralChang

macrumors 68000
Dec 2, 2013
Sounds like a lot of people here still don't know about anxiety and being a break-out developer. I consider myself a fairly non-anxious person but over the past couple of weeks my companies Twitter account went from around 800-30,000 followers and it scared me. I didn't sit there with dollar signs in my eyes, it's scary to go from nothing to something so fast.

Eh, I just wonder about the kind of people who play down the creators anxiety. Is money the only thing of value to them? Have they ever had instant fame? How good are they at coping with things in general?

I wouldn't know about being a break-out developer, but I totally agree with the substance of your post. It's almost like we can't, as a society, give an individual in the spotlight the benefit of the doubt simply because there are people out there who do this sort of thing as a marketing gimmick. I feel like this guy was probably genuine, though. Almost like he writes these apps because he enjoys it.

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
Why? So he can whine about making so much money again? This guy doesn't deserve all this free publicity. That B.S. he pulled earlier this year was clearly just a stunt.

Maybe, but he did pull an app that was apparently yielding $50K per day. That would be a very expensive stunt that doesn't yield any return except- perhaps- some kind of perception of hype to help sell this new game that just arrived all these months later. If so, it will take a LOT of sales of this new one to make up for all that lost revenue in the time since he took FB down.

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC

So the "addictive" thing was just a cover-up for his own insecurities?

"Flappy Bird was designed to play in a few minutes when you are relaxed,” says Dong Nguyen, in an exclusive interview, his first since he pulled the plug on the app. “But it happened to become an addictive product. I think it has become a problem. To solve that problem, it’s best to take down Flappy Bird. It’s gone forever."​

Sure... he probably couldn't handle being "famous" and I understand that.

Flappy Bird became popular because it was so difficult. He got recognized because of it. He spoke on the record about it multiple times... but he got the most press when he decided to pull the game from the app store.

He probably should have quietly removed the game from the app store. Instead... he spoke out and got MORE press because of it.

That is known as The Streisand Effect.

OK... maybe he's just a sweet timid guy who can't handle stress and also doesn't want to harm people from making an addictive game.

Fine... he pulled Flappy Bird and he can slip into obscurity and enjoy a quiet life.

OOPS.... here he is again... with ANOTHER difficult frustrating game. Does anyone want to guess how this will turn out?

Has he cured his anxiety?

Mr Fide

macrumors member
Aug 29, 2007
I like Mr. Nguyen's aesthetic choices. They were a big part of the appeal of Flappy Bird. This new one looks good too.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
OOPS.... here he is again... with ANOTHER difficult frustrating game. Does anyone want to guess how this will turn out?

Has he cured his anxiety?

Maybe it's just the kind of game he makes? Maybe he's now able to cope with it?
When I first had success with my games I felt like a fraud, like I didn't deserve it (quite common for solo developers it turns out). I took a year out and worked with others on their own games. But after a while you get used to it and it's easier to do. I can't speak for Nyugen but maybe he had a similar experience? Maybe not everyone is the same as you and has the same values and experiences as you?

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
Maybe it's just the kind of game he makes? Maybe he's now able to cope with it?
When I first had success with my games I felt like a fraud, like I didn't deserve it (quite common for solo developers it turns out). I took a year out and worked with others on their own games. But after a while you get used to it and it's easier to do. I can't speak for Nyugen but maybe he had a similar experience? Maybe not everyone is the same as you and has the same values and experiences as you?

Yeah... I hope he has learned something from his first experience. (Flappy Bird was pulled only 6 months ago)

It reminds me of the end of the South Park Wal-Mart episode. Wal-Mart got too big and it needed to be destroyed. Everyone decided to go back to the local Jim's Drugs store.

But Jim's Drugs grew and grew... and it had to be destroyed too. "Alright... let's not make that mistake again..."

Will Swing Copters suffer the same fate? Too addictive and/or too much stress on the creator?

duervo

macrumors 68020
Feb 5, 2011
Mothers of the world better pray I never create a game that's "too addictive" cause if it's earning $50k a day someone would have to kill me to get it taken down.

Indeed. This gets a wholehearted "ditto" from me.

swingrumours.com

Or better yet ...

flappyswingrumours.com

Wishbrah

macrumors regular
Oct 20, 2013
Can't wait to start my new drinking game...shot of whiskey after each crash into a pendulous hammer

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009

I guess because you only got 4. My best was 79 and was doing over 30 after the first 10 mins.
The addiction of the game is the simplicity and the clear goal of beating someone else's' score

----------

Mothers of the world better pray I never create a game that's "too addictive" cause if it's earning $50k a day someone would have to kill me to get it taken down.
More like he had to take it down before the ips he was using would sue his ass due to popularity and exposure.

Stepfanapps

macrumors newbie
Aug 18, 2014
Has any one played the space worm game it's great much more addictive than flappy bird

Really hard tho

Mac-Mac-McAfee

macrumors member
Jan 10, 2012
And then take a look at Call of Duty, Angry Birds and other creatively-bankrupt series.

----------

Sounds like somebody needs to get over themselves. What a bunch of nonsense. Anxiety because of 29,000 twitter followers, wow! I wonder how the real celebrities with millions of followers can even get out of bed in the morning. And saying that someone who makes an app would feel stressed about people purchasing it shoukdn't be making apps, because that's the purpose of it all.

Plus, don't confuse people talking about someone on an internet message board as real fame. It isn't.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.