Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Potatochobit

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 2, 2011
hello
I have a 4S with ATT
I heard it is now legal to unlock phones?
when I upgrade to an iphone 6 this fall, is it possible to unlock my iphone 4s to use on a different network?

i would like to use it as a prepaid virgin mobile phone which is the sprint network

I know they are already selling iphone 4s, but is it possible to use my current att one instead of buying the same phone from their network?

Potatochobit

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 2, 2011
hi thanx for the reply

yes my contract expired long ago

but do you know if virigin mobile will accept the phone?
or must I use their branded version

nebo1ss

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
hello
I have a 4S with ATT
I heard it is now legal to unlock phones?
when I upgrade to an iphone 6 this fall, is it possible to unlock my iphone 4s to use on a different network?

i would like to use it as a prepaid virgin mobile phone which is the sprint network

I know they are already selling iphone 4s, but is it possible to use my current att one instead of buying the same phone from their network?

You need to be an existing customer and the phone must be out of contract. If you are planning to Leave ATT make sure you get the unlock before you leave.

firefoxsilver9

macrumors newbie
Mar 22, 2011
Florida, USA
hi thanx for the reply

yes my contract expired long ago

but do you know if virigin mobile will accept the phone?
or must I use their branded version

If its an AT&T phone i'm not sure if it will work on Virgin Mobile since AT&T uses GSM (SIM Card) and Virgin uses CDMA (No SIM Card). Other than that if its unlocked then it will work on other networks as long as the network compatibility is there.

----------

Yeah just checked. Virgin Mobile uses Sprint's network so no it won't work. You can try one of AT&T's MVNO's or T-Mobile/T-Mobile MVNO's. Right now i'm using my unlocked AT&T iphone with T-Mobile's prepaid plan. only $30. spotty coverage but not too bad.

nostresshere

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2010
Folks are getting so excited about the UNLOCK rules, but they forget two very important things.

1 - A contact is still a contract. Feds can not make those go away. You have to pay for the phone somehow.

2 - Technical reasons do not allow all phones to work on all networks.

Potatochobit

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 2, 2011
hi guys
thanx for the replies

I didnt know tmobile had pre paid plans
thats fine too as long as I can do month to month for a small fee

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Yes, I'd go with Tmobile.
Probably better service and cheaper than virgin mobile.
When you unlock an iphone its only unlocked for GSM networks.
Not CDMA such as Sprint, Verizon or any of their prepaid MVMO's. Just so you know.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.