Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Aug 19, 2014, 12:32 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Video Shows New Lightning Cable with Reversible USB Connector in Action

Last Friday, a report and photos of a new Lightning cable with a reversible USB connector surfaced, which was followed by another image from frequent iOS device part leaker Sonny Dickson. Now, Dickson has shared a new short video of the Lightning cable in action, showing its USB connector being reversed and plugged in both ways.

Apple could start shipping a new Lightning cable alongside the next wave of iOS device releases this fall, which will likely start with the iPhone 6 next month. It is unknown if the updated cable will contain any new features aside from a reversible USB connector, although past rumors have pointed to support for high-definition audio playback.

An Apple patent discussing a reversible USB connector was also published last month, and discussed a more user-friendly design compared to current cables. However, it is unknown if this new cable will face challenges from the likes of California company UltraTek, which already holds a patent itself for a reversible connector and currently sells cables through major online retailers.

Article Link: Video Shows New Lightning Cable with Reversible USB Connector in Action
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2014, 12:33 AM   #2
Amacfa
macrumors 6502

My body is ready
Amacfa is offline   11 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2014, 12:33 AM   #3
CrazyForApple
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to CrazyForApple
I can't wait to replace my current torn up Lightning cables.
CrazyForApple is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2014, 12:33 AM   #4
BryanElliott
macrumors newbie

Mind. Blown. Revolutionary.

Last edited by BryanElliott; Aug 19, 2014 at 12:34 AM. Reason: Grammer
BryanElliott is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2014, 12:33 AM   #5
iLoveiTunes
macrumors regular

4 stories on a cable.... it better be something special
iLoveiTunes is offline   14 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2014, 12:36 AM   #6
ScottishCaptain
macrumors 6502a

Apple already has problems with their cables continually falling apart at the slightest sign of duress.

I'm curious to know what people think is going to happen with this new USB connector now that Apple has removed half the support material from the inside to facilitate the reversible feature. Hint: it's going to behave like all their other cables. The moment you abuse it or bump it in the wrong way, it's going to snap or fracture and fail.

I'm sure they'll be heralded for their "revolutionary thinking" on this one, but there was a reason why USB cables were built they way they were. I would much rather a standard plug with an indent on the top or something else you can feel (to determine which way is up) then a cable that will be twice as fragile and probably cost twice as much to replace as well.
Old Aug 19, 2014, 12:37 AM   #7
9to5mac
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyForApple View Post
Me too!!!
9to5mac is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2014, 12:38 AM   #8
MaxxTraxx
macrumors 6502

It can be reversible all it can be, but if it is still USB 2.0, it is a waste.
Old Aug 19, 2014, 12:38 AM   #9
boechat
macrumors member

Apple, please
boechat is offline   22 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2014, 12:39 AM   #10
Eduardo1971
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyForApple View Post
Eagerly await the complaints once these newer cables also begin to show wear.
Old Aug 19, 2014, 12:40 AM   #11
satcomer
macrumors 601

I keep thinking Apple CarPlay is going to nowhere if Apple keeps changing the connection port every two years.
satcomer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2014, 12:41 AM   #12
MyDataMyProbs
macrumors regular

So. Much. Time. Saved!
MyDataMyProbs is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2014, 12:42 AM   #13
Serban
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by satcomer View Post
I keep thinking Apple CarPlay is going to nowhere if Apple keeps changing the connection port every two years.
it only is reversible so doesn't matter..it works
Old Aug 19, 2014, 12:45 AM   #14
Lazy
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanElliott View Post
Mind. Blown. Revolutionary.
As someone commented in the thread on the Mac Pro security bracket: and the rollout of "the best product pipeline in company history continues".
Lazy is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2014, 12:47 AM   #15
sputnikv
macrumors regular

Quote:
What an absurd statement.
sputnikv is offline   19 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2014, 12:50 AM   #16
8CoreWhore
macrumors 68000

That doesn't show anything. Take out the internals and it will do that.
Old Aug 19, 2014, 12:53 AM   #17
Jimrod
macrumors 6502a

Apple are still missing that small detail that most of their users want, and it's very simple - just supply their products with longer cables. An extra 50cm will be fine thank you.
Jimrod is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2014, 12:58 AM   #18
satcomer
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by sputnikv View Post
What an absurd statement.
What is so wrong with that statement? Car manufactures don't like constant change! Everyone knows the technology in cars is usually two years behind the times. So it's a killer to find a car with a current lighting cable. Plus all those cars with standard USB ports are hit & miss and now Apple has a new USB connection.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serban View Post
it only is reversible so doesn't matter..it works
Yea but in car they have to use STANDARD USB ports in their cars. This new lighting cable will mean that one with have to bring their own cable. Plus all those speaker docks will now be obsolete again.
satcomer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2014, 01:00 AM   #19
gaximus
macrumors regular

Quote:
What is so wrong with that statement? Car manufactures don't like constant change! Everyone knows the technology in cars is usually two years behind the times. So it's a killer to find a car with a current lighting cable. Plus all those cars with standard USB ports are hit & miss and now Apple has a new USB connection.

----------

Yea but in car they have to use STANDARD USB ports in their cars. This new lighting cable will mean that one with have to bring their own cable. Plus all those speaker docks will now be obsolete again.
This uses the standard USB port. It'll work in old computers or anything with a USB port in it
gaximus is offline   24 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2014, 01:01 AM   #20
stephen1108
macrumors 6502a

Quote:

----------

No.... the fact that it's reversible also means it's backwards compatible with older USB ports. They will work with existing USB ports just fine, the lightning side of things haven't changed either. It's the same lightning adapter.
stephen1108 is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2014, 01:02 AM   #21
WBRacing
macrumors regular

Personally I like the 50/50 game of getting it the right way round first time, and the slight feeling of smug satisfaction I get when I (all too rarely) do.
WBRacing is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2014, 01:03 AM   #22
Anonymous Freak
macrumors 601

Yeah, I can make that video, too. I just break the circuit board/metal contact part out of an existing USB connector....

Or I can use the existing TrippLite reversible USB cables.

Sorry, this attention is a bit much for an existing technology... It's just the current seller of it doesn't hype it.

As for the comment "it better be USB 3" - why does it matter? The lightning port on the iPhone/iPad isn't that fast. It's almost a sure thing that the storage system on the iPhone/iPad isn't that fast. Perhaps on the iPhone 6 / iPad Air 2... But Apple has been moving away from wired connections for iDevices except where "required" (charging,) as it is. The Lightning-to-HDMI adapter is already just a wired AirPlay adapter, you don't get any better quality than using AirPlay over WiFi to an AppleTV.

I would rather see UWB or 802.11ac, to enable wireless data transfer faster. (And the ability to mount the digital camera portion of the iDevice wirelessly, so you can import videos in to iPhoto as if plugged in, and delete iDevice photos/video via iPhoto - then the only thing I'll need to plug in for is power.)

20" Aluminum iMac 7,1 (mid-2007, Santa Rosa,) upgraded to 2.6 GHz Penryn, 6 GB RAM, 1 TB HD, 4 TB total external hard drive
Anonymous Freak is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2014, 01:03 AM   #23
justinhu8
macrumors member

Is it just me or does the box at the beginning look off.
justinhu8 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2014, 01:07 AM   #24
gaximus
macrumors regular

My question is, how does the swaping of the pins work when you flip it over? Since the ground and positive pins swap places and the same for the data pins, does the plug's "tongue" have the pins wired so the top and bottom of the pins are opposite? Or is t controlled by the chip in the liturning end of the cable? Or another new chip?
gaximus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2014, 01:09 AM   #25
Michael Scrip
macrumors 68020

Quote:

Apple doesn't have a "new" USB connection... it's a variation on the current plug-end only.

It will still work in the current USB socket.

Hell... the greatest thing to happen in cars is a USB socket... they're not going away anytime soon.

And this reversible USB cable... and all other USB cables... will continue to work in cars with USB sockets.
Michael Scrip is offline   6 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion