Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

While Apple released a sixth developer preview of OS X Yosemite yesterday, a corresponding sixth beta of iOS 8 was not provided to developers at the same time. As a result, the company's iOS beta 5 released earlier this month may turn out to be the final build seeded to developers before the golden master release.

Though developers may not see another beta version, a new report from BGR claims Apple has released a sixth iOS 8 beta to its testing partners. The release would explain conflicting rumors as to whether there would be a sixth beta version if this version is made available only to carriers and other partners for testing rather than the broader developer community.

ios8-800x196.jpg
According to BGR, this beta 6 version of iOS 8 is being released only to testing partners and will not be seeded to developers for testing because the timing is so close to the golden master build. The build change log obtained by BGR is as follows:
OTA Software Update Paths
Carrier Builds
Not Available
User Builds
Not Available

Issues fixed since Seed 5

Baseband & Telephony
Fixed an issue where incorrect pop up message was displayed when SIM was removed
Fixed an issue where clicking on cancel button turned LTE on
Fixed an issue where excessive registration was tried with dual IMSI SIM

Continuity
Fixed an occasional mail continuity failure from OS X to iOS
Fixed an issue causing continuity to fail after opening control center

FaceTime
Fixed an occasional problem where MT call connection quality would be incorrectly treated as "poor"

GameCenter
Fixed an issue where the active photo cannot be deleted

iCloud
Fixed a problem where document sync would sometimes consume excessive cellular data

iTunes Store
URLs for the store app are no longer broken in received mail
Fixed a problem with excessive prompts to sign in to the iTunes Store

Keyboard
Fixed an intermittent issue keyword shifting when rotating the screen
Fixed an issue where the emoji keyboard was unusable on Safari

Mail
Notes are no longer duplicated when opened through Gmail
Fixed an issue where after withdrawing a draft with attachments, browsing to another message resulted in the attachments getting lost
Fixed an issue where forwarding an email without a photo attachment still sends a photo
Fixed an issue when forwarding an email with an attached photo just brought up the original message without a photo
Fixed an issue where email could be deleted from the lock screen without prompting for a passcode

Maps
Fixed a problem where maps would sometimes consume excessive cellular data

Added support for SMS relay opt-in prompt
Fixed issue that caused devices to receive SMS via relay for unselected aliases
Fixed failures sending current location via MMS
Fixed an issue where messages partially overlap Chinese keyboards
Fixed an issue where changing a group name didn't propagate to other devices until a message is sent

Phone
Fixed an issue where an incoming call was being relayed back to originating phone
Fixed an issue where options on declining a call didn't work with call relay

Photos
Fixed an issue where edited photos did not display properly after restoring from backup
Improved full screen photo sharing
Set default to keep all photos on device for users with 5GB iCloud space
Fixed an issue where a user could not select multiple photos and upload to Facebook via Safari

Push Notifications
Improved push connection management upon account logout with multiple associated devices
Fixed a problem where Exchange push notifications would stop after responding to an invitation from the lock screen
Fixed an issue where a user does not receive a notification for incoming messages when the banner for the previous one is pulled down

Springboard
Fixed an issue unlocking an iPhone while on an active call
Fixed an issue where the keyboard would sometimes become unresponsive when the screen is locked

Visual Voicemail
Fixed an issue where Voicemail could not be played under certain error conditions
Fixed an issue where Phone App hanged when tried to check Voicemail
Testing partners with iOS beta 6 must approve the version by September 5, ahead of the final iOS 8 preview and the introduction of the iPhone 6 on September 9. A public release of iOS 8 for current devices will likely come roughly a week later, just a few days before the launch of the iPhone 6 in the first wave of markets.

According to BGR's sources, Apple may still have some work to do, as this build allegedly has already been rejected for an issue with YouTube playback in Safari.

Article Link: Apple Seeds iOS 8 Beta 6 to Carrier Testing Partners, but Not Broader Developer Community

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Interesting, so the GM is approaching - good.

I can't wait. I'm not on the beta so I've been sitting patiently on the side lines.

dlewis23

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2007
Looks like a decent amount of stuff was fixed but maybe not enough for them to need to have developers test it with there apps.

TimUSCA

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2006
Aiken, SC
Could it be because they have a major new feature to launch and they don't want to spoil it by releasing to devs?

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011

I can't wait. I'm not on the beta so I've been sitting patiently on the side lines.

So when do see media invites from Apple? A week before the event?

Tubamajuba

macrumors 68020
Jun 8, 2011
here

Usually, I would be right there with you. But given the state of iOS 8 in beta 5, I can definitely wait if it means a better product. Not really many show-stopping bugs, but tons of little ones that detract from the overall experience.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Usually, I would be right there with you. But given the state of iOS 8 in beta 5, I can definitely wait if it means a better product. Not really many show-stopping bugs, but tons of little ones that detract from the overall experience.

I can't answer for beta 5, but from the light perusing I've done in the iOS8 forums, feedback has been mostly positive.

So B5 has been a bit more unstable?

Tubamajuba

macrumors 68020
Jun 8, 2011
here
I can't answer for beta 5, but from the light perusing I've done in the iOS8 forums, feedback has been mostly positive.

So B5 has been a bit more unstable?

I think the stability is fine, but the polish just isn't quite there yet as far as smooth animations and transitions. Much improved from earlier betas though, so I suppose Apple will have something quite nice ready by the GM.

Donoban

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2013
Yeah baby! It's a coming! iPhone and ipad are ready.

This is going to be the best release yet!

Davmeister

macrumors 6502
May 7, 2009
London
Hmmm. Doesn't feel fully ready yet on my 5s. Was thinking more beta 6 for developers, then beta 7 carriers, then GM. Not quite polished enough yet. E.g. Swipe up in control centre still activates keys, and that's not in this 6 change log.

boshii

macrumors 68040
Jul 6, 2008
Atlanta, GA
Great! We're so close now.

I've been holding off installing the beta so I can get my first run with it on my shiny, new iPhone 6. :D

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Hmmm. Doesn't feel fully ready yet on my 5s. Was thinking more beta 6 for developers, then beta 7 carriers, then GM. Not quite polished enough yet. E.g. Swipe up in control centre still activates keys, and that's not in this 6 change log.

Is there enough time to do another beta for devs if new phones are being announced on the 9th?

newyorksole

macrumors 603
Apr 2, 2008
New York.

adm58

macrumors regular
Aug 20, 2007
According to BGR's sources, Apple may still have some work to do, as this build allegedly has already been rejected for an issue with YouTube playback in Safari.

No, that's just the ISP throttling it to the point videos can't load.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.