Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

herbapou

macrumors member
Dec 20, 2011
Why is this news?

Also, sold at 100.

its bounce down a few times because of sell orders at $100, we call this resistance. Its now at $100.40, which means "resistance is futile" :)

People should be carefull near the event or at the event, it could sell off.

Col4bin

macrumors 68000
Oct 2, 2011
El Segundo
Why do I get the feeling this is a run up to an eventual sell off when the new iPhone is announced. The old buy on the rumor sell on the news.

I don't have the historical data, but I think you're right. We've seen this every Fall leading up to iPhone launch. Then on launch day, APPL stock is down.

Mtmspa

Suspended
May 13, 2013
AAPL is up to 100.35. That stock I bought at 31 post split price is more that tripled. Add in dividends and I am happy, happy, happy.

Now 100.40.

Rocketman

macrumors 603
The foreign divisions holding the cash could purchase shares on the open market and hold them rather than cash until a policy change improved repatriation options. I suggested that in a couple of threads back when AAPL was under $500 pre-split ($71.43). That would not "take it off the market" until such time as it could be transferred to "treasury stock".

If the Treasury would exempt transfers of the company's own stock to Treasury Stock, from the repatriation rule, that itself would help a lot.

Rocketman

Last edited:

dannyyankou

macrumors G5
Mar 2, 2012
Westchester, NY
Apple bought back billions of dollars worth of stock since Sep 12. Hence, the all-time high is closer to $110 with the shrinking outstanding share number, not $100. I don't know why the financial media (and Macrumors) disregard such a trivial and obvious fact.

But this article specifically says "since June stock split", not all time.

----------

AAPL is up to 100.35. That stock I bought at 31 post split price is more that tripled. Add in dividends and I am happy, happy, happy.

Now 100.40.

Now 100.47!

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
Rumor? Everything we're hearing about iPhone and "iWatch". Let's say there aren't two new phones and no sapphire display. Let's say all we get is 4.7" model with improved camera and Touch ID. And no wearable yet. I could see the stock selling off on that.

The iPhone 6 isn't just a rumor, it is widely anticipated. Beyond the generalities the markets don't guess well, so I don't think it makes much sense to predict that investors would be horrified if the new iPhone didn't include a particular feature, as nobody knows the market value of, say, sapphire displays. I also don't see much of the current run-up being based on wearables. Far too little is known about that product to model any earnings from it.

Col4bin

macrumors 68000
Oct 2, 2011
El Segundo
Rumor? Everything we're hearing about iPhone and "iWatch". Let's say there aren't two new phones and no sapphire display. Let's say all we get is 4.7" model with improved camera and Touch ID. And no wearable yet. I could see the stock selling off on that.

Exactly. I almost feel that analyst/investor expectations are often heavily influenced by the rumor mill… Almost to the point that once the product launches, it's sometimes considered a let-down because it unfairly didn't live up to the purported rumors or public expectation.

Iconoclysm

macrumors 68040
May 13, 2010
Washington, DC
Must be that best product pipeline in 25 years. :rolleyes:

What, exactly, doesn't point to this being the best product pipeline in 25 years? If you put all of the rumors together we are going to see a vastly improved iPhone, possibly the most improved since the iPhone 4 came along...an Apple TV that acts as a true iOS device...a "watch"...a MacBook Air with a retina display...a giant sized iPad...all of Apple's biggest selling products appear to be getting a major update as well as a new product category.

Even if they all flop, or if a couple don't exist...again, how would they not look like the best product pipeline someone in Apple has ever seen?

ebouwman

Cancelled
Jan 5, 2007
its bounce down a few times because of sell orders at $100, we call this resistance. Its now at $100.40, which means "resistance is futile" :)

People should be carefull near the event or at the event, it could sell off.

Thanks for this really good explanation. It's so simple but makes so much sense.

Ichabod.

macrumors regular
Oct 1, 2012
Really a brilliant stock split. 1 for 7, such that 100 is pretty close to the previous Apple high above 700.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
The iPhone 6 isn't just a rumor, it is widely anticipated. Beyond the generalities the markets don't guess well, so I don't think it makes much sense to predict that investors would be horrified if the new iPhone didn't include a particular feature, as nobody knows the market value of, say, sapphire displays. I also don't see much of the current run-up being based on wearables. Far too little is known about that product to model any earnings from it.

I can't remember the last time Apple had an event where the stock was up on the day. It's usually either flat or down. At least this year there is no silly rumor mill nonsense about a cheap iPhone to drag the stock down. Of course the chattering classes are still obsessing over the need for a cheap iPhone.

TallManNY

macrumors 601
Nov 5, 2007
Wonder

I wonder how many stop and limit orders set at $100 have been executed in the last bit. Was there a volume spike at that number?
If there are a lot of sales scheduled at that price, I wonder if getting through it and clearing it as a hurdle will make a difference.

Trapezoid

macrumors 65816
Mar 19, 2014
Gotta give it up to apple. It just shows that people have no idea what they're talking about when they say a company is doomed because their stock fell

Rocketman

macrumors 603
I wonder how many stop and limit orders set at $100 have been executed in the last bit. Was there a volume spike at that number?
If there are a lot of sales scheduled at that price, I wonder if getting through it and clearing it as a hurdle will make a difference.
Yes there was a spike at 100 in volume. There was also a sufficient drop in price that many of them were market orders not limit orders. APPL will break out above prior resistance at 705 (100.71). So far intra-day it has touched 100.50. Expect a push up rapidly after it breaks resistance.

Rocketman

"You can look for this." - Larry Brown

t76turbo

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2012
Why do I get the feeling this is a run up to an eventual sell off when the new iPhone is announced. The old buy on the rumor sell on the news.

You hit the nail on the head in my opinion. Looking back at historical pricing around launch time, the price tends to go down after products are released. Some claim it is because the impact of the new products are already factored in.

I just bought a (to me) large quantity of apple shares to hold for a while. With these recent gains, my instinct is to sell, capture gains, and get back in on a dip. But I do think apple is still ripe for growth. So I am going to hold.

Investing and not trading is a new thing for me. Only done it once before.

----------

Gotta give it up to apple. It just shows that people have no idea what they're talking about when they say a company is doomed because their stock fell

I dont like a number of things Apple has done recently. Or at least I should say I do not have information to lead me to understand what and why they did some things.

But with the amount of cash they have on hand, they should never be underestimated.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
I can't remember the last time Apple had an event where the stock was up on the day. It's usually either flat or down. At least this year there is no silly rumor mill nonsense about a cheap iPhone to drag the stock down. Of course the chattering classes are still obsessing over the need for a cheap iPhone.

I can. Investors loved both the original iPhone and iPad introductions. In any case it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to look at any stock's behavior over such a short span of time. In terms of how the markets are valuing any particular announcement I would use a bracket of not less than two weeks, one week before and one after.

Trapezoid

macrumors 65816
Mar 19, 2014
I dont like a number of things Apple has done recently. Or at least I should say I do not have information to lead me to understand what and why they did some things.

But with the amount of cash they have on hand, they should never be underestimated.

Agreed, I dont know much about trading but to watch a company pretty much print money and then say they are going to fail because of their stock price is beyond stupid.

Heavenly

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2009
Northwestern University
Yep, there was a huge volume spike when AAPL hit $100 because the buyers had to clear a share wall of around 1.7 million shares at the $100 Ask:

PocketSand11

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2014
~/
Finally an article about AAPL stock that doesn't have people complaining about Wall Street hating "APPL" or how investors contribute nothing to society and manipulate the proletariat. It's been a while ;)

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA

Apple the company is not AAPL the stock. A fact so many either forget or refuse to understand.

What, exactly, doesn't point to this being the best product pipeline in 25 years? If you put all of the rumors together we are going to see a vastly improved iPhone, possibly the most improved since the iPhone 4 came along...an Apple TV that acts as a true iOS device...a "watch"...a MacBook Air with a retina display...a giant sized iPad...all of Apple's biggest selling products appear to be getting a major update as well as a new product category.

Even if they all flop, or if a couple don't exist...again, how would they not look like the best product pipeline someone in Apple has ever seen?

Perhaps the OP was making a comment based on the rhetoric in almost every interview/article with Cook/team that Apple's product pipeline is 'chock full' of "'incredible stuff'"

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.