Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

foodog

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2006
Atlanta, GA
I really hope they will fix the following before the iOS 8 GM:

Or it will be another PR disaster for Apple.

A disaster? Both IOS8 and OSX 10.10 are free updates and the only hardware running a current version of IOS or OSX that is not supported is the iPhone 4... Not sure that equates to a disaster.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
I hope Beta 5 is not the "last build" before "Gold Master"

I love iOS8 but in my opinion it's not ready for the masses yet and has enough room for improvement to allow for a couple/few more beta's to be tested and issues flushed out.

Seriously? There are likely builds every night, maybe multiple builds per day.

foodog

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2006
Atlanta, GA
Does this mean the final version of iOS 8, won't have any more battery life improvements than beta 5??

I was expecting iOS 8 to have better battery life than 7.

But right now it is pretty bad, I was assuming that's because it is in beta, but sounds like there is not much more coming

Typically the battery life is one of the last things to get worked out. Every IOS beta has had battery life issues...

mazz0

macrumors 68040
Mar 23, 2011
Leeds, UK
I hope not, still buggy with many apps for me.

Also, the way the favourites box on iPad's Safari resizes after you select a folder is a pain in the arse.

Futurix

macrumors 6502a
Nov 22, 2011
Strasbourg, France
A disaster? Both IOS8 and OSX 10.10 are free updates and the only hardware running a current version of IOS or OSX that is not supported is the iPhone 4... Not sure that equates to a disaster.

Yosemite is likely to be released more than a month after iOS 8!
Not to mention that some people would like to upgrade their devices at a different pace or even not to upgrade at all.

If you will enable iCloud Drive upon iOS 8 upgrade or upon turning on your brand new iPhone 6 for the first time - all your other iCloud-connected devices with Mavericks or iOS7 will immediately lose iCloud sync.

ozone54

macrumors newbie
Mar 17, 2010
How is opting out of a group message going to work with other OSes? Seems now if I opt out, I'm not really out. As soon as someone in the group (ios7) texts in the group I am back in the group. :rolleyes:

Reason077

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2007
I did find some references to at least 1 new screen size in the SDK.

WOW! This is the first time I've seen this.

This strongly suggests the iPhone 6 screen resolution is 1472 x 828.

If the same pixel density as the iPhone 5 were maintained, this would put the 6's screen size at 5.1" - exactly half way between the rumoured 4.7" and 5.5" size.

I guess this means that both iPhone 6 models will share the same resolution, with
pixel densities either slightly higher (4.7") or slightly lower (5.5") compared to the iPhone 5/5c/5s.

arkmannj

macrumors 68000
Oct 1, 2003
UT
This makes no sense. This thread clearly states that there's a Beta 6 but it's not being seeded, it's just not being seeded to all of the developers like the previous betas.

This build has an obvious focus on allowing Carriers test network related updates/enhancements. Which makes sense, but would not really be intended for testing general stability and functionality of the software/devices in all scenarios that a broader test bed would offer.

Apple only releases betas to developers so they can begin enhancing their apps for the new version of iOS.

While they do allow developers to submit bug reports, that is not the main objective of releasing betas. Apple issues much more frequent internal betas that are used to work through all of the issues during development. The last beta we received was probably already several weeks old at the time it was released to developers. Even the new beta pushed to carriers is likely several weeks old. Apple's internal testing is much further ahead, and will be ready for GM release in a few weeks time.

Seriously? There are likely builds every night, maybe multiple builds per day.

I do happen to know that internally (and possibly in a limited external basis) that Apple has more frequent builds than just the betas released to devs. I never indicated that Apple didn't have more internal builds. But honestly such a limited subset of people are less likely to come accross the issues and bugs that a larger audience will. Furthermore, feedback through dev channels helps Apple to prioritize better based on actual broad real-world usage of the device/software. More builds released, more feedback, and more time spent testing, gathering feedback, fixing bugs and enhancing functionality is beneficial to everyone, it benefits Apple, the Devs, and ultimately the folks that really matter... the end users.

wizard

macrumors 68040
May 29, 2003
Interesting, so the GM is approaching - good.

I can't wait. I'm not on the beta so I've been sitting patiently on the side lines.

More likely they are trying to resolve a bug or two with LTE. First I have to qualify this in that I live in a fringe area that has always had marginal LTE service. However I've noticed with the last betas that LTE is barely functional at all where I live. Works great in other areas. So maybe they are testing for a specific but critical issue.

As for waiting I suspect you will be happy. Like all releases it has its good points, bad points and bugs but I see it as one of Apples best releases yet. As long as you don't hit any of the bugs Safari is surprisingly snappy. The over all feel on an iPad 3 is that of a much improved OS.

----------

Usually, I would be right there with you. But given the state of iOS 8 in beta 5, I can definitely wait if it means a better product. Not really many show-stopping bugs, but tons of little ones that detract from the overall experience.

Some are pretty serious such as lock ups in Safari. Of course one can balance that against an otherwise much better Safari. When I find a good WiFi connection I'm sometimes shock at how fast Safari is.

wizard

macrumors 68040
May 29, 2003
Yosemite is likely to be released more than a month after iOS 8!
Yosemite actually feels more stable to me than iOS 8. Especially with the last update. Yosemite is still filled with bugs and glitches but so is iOS 8.
Not to mention that some people would like to upgrade their devices at a different pace or even not to upgrade at all.

If you will enable iCloud Drive upon iOS 8 upgrade or upon turning on your brand new iPhone 6 for the first time - all your other iCloud-connected devices with Mavericks or iOS7 will immediately lose iCloud sync.

Which is why I suspect that Apple will sync the two releases. There is too much interdependence with the two OS's now. It would make little sense to release iOS 8 if a good number of the features can't be supported due to an unreleased Mac OS.

AgentElliot007

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2010
Yosemite actually feels more stable to me than iOS 8. Especially with the last update. Yosemite is still filled with bugs and glitches but so is iOS 8.

Which is why I suspect that Apple will sync the two releases. There is too much interdependence with the two OS's now. It would make little sense to release iOS 8 if a good number of the features can't be supported due to an unreleased Mac OS.

Yes. I think Yosemite hits with or even maybe before iOS 8 without a doubt. No way they open up the iCloud Drive floodgates without first putting Yosemite out. They are not stupid. And furthermore, as said, Yosemite feels a lot further along that iOS 8, and iOS 8 is hardly bad at this point.

M5RahuL

macrumors 68040
Aug 1, 2009
TeXaS
I'm still hoping Apple releases B6 to devs, even if it's a watered down release.

The Phone App hanging when checking VVM and VM's showing from ' unknown ' with 0:00 timer [ all of'em!! ] isn't a minor bug. Been filing that report since B3 and was hoping for it to be fixed with B5.. or B6 at the very latest! :confused:

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
Could it be because they have a major new feature to launch and they don't want to spoil it by releasing to devs?

Yep. That's how they used to do it.

Does this mean the final version of iOS 8, won't have any more battery life improvements than beta 5??

I was expecting iOS 8 to have better battery life than 7.

But right now it is pretty bad, I was assuming that's because it is in beta, but sounds like there is not much more coming

The betas always use more battery, because they are compiled for debug, not optimized for power. They include a lot of diagnostic code that won't be there in the end.

AFAIK it won't be added back - iCloud Photos replaces Photo Stream.

Yep.

DarkCole

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2013
wow didnt know that was even possible. thx :D

Woah! I didn't know this!
Just tried it on a device with iOS 7.

Hopefully it stays in iOS 8 because it's not working for me either. I always thought it was a pain to have to swipe back up to turn the light off.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.