Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

1nfinity0nhigh

macrumors newbie
Aug 15, 2014
have even read through this thread? it literally answers your question , no your not going to see new rMB's till at least next March or So , broad well will be released but thats the lower power versions the ones the rMB needs will be released sometime next year

the retina's were just updated like on the 29th of July , don't hope for anything this year

I'm sorry, I haven't read all 34 pages of comments dating back to August 13, 2013. I read the last 3 pages and the "obvious answer" was not there.

The Leafs Fan

macrumors 6502a
Sep 5, 2013
Canada
I'm sorry, I haven't read all 34 pages of comments dating back to August 13, 2013. I read the last 3 pages and the "obvious answer" was not there.

Well there isn't an "obvious answer" to be found in this thread, but it's generally been agreed upon that the rMBPs will be refreshed with Broadwell sometime next year, given that the rMBPs were just given a spec update and the Broadwell processors that would be suitable for the rMBPs will not be available until next year.

The Mercurian

macrumors 68020
Mar 17, 2012
Gave up waiting bought 2014 Haswell. Happy now :) Unless broadwell also makes the tea as an extra feature I will remain happy :p

deanzel

macrumors newbie
Jul 22, 2014
BROHIO
Gave up waiting bought 2014 Haswell. Happy now :) Unless broadwell also makes the tea as an extra feature I will remain happy :p

Same here too. Just got the new 15.4" 2.5ghz/16gb/512gb model and got a solid deal with the BestBuy discounts. I was planning on waiting but I'm starting my first week of med school classes and my late 2008 15.4" Macbook pro was dying and the battery would only last about an hour. I had to cave. :(

littlepud

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2012
I was on a Haswell 13" (2.4/8/256) and just traded up to a 15" (2.3/16/512/dGPU). I figure with I won't wait for Broadwell/Skylake and just get as many years out of this machine as I can.

marc77

macrumors newbie
Aug 18, 2014
Guys, how realistic is that the next MBP generation (2015) will have USB 3.1 Type C symmetrical connector, which was released a week ago?

I think it might have more impact than CPU upgrade from Haswell to Broadwell in terms of technological evolution.

lordromanov01

macrumors member
Apr 6, 2012
With the recent update to the MBP line they decreased the prices. How will these prices change with the introduction of Broadwell next year? Will they increase again to how they were before or stay the same (or even decrease more, but I doubt that)?

The Leafs Fan

macrumors 6502a
Sep 5, 2013
Canada
Guys, how realistic is that the next MBP generation (2015) will have USB 3.1 Type C symmetrical connector, which was released a week ago?

I think it might have more impact than CPU upgrade from Haswell to Broadwell in terms of technological evolution.

Next to none. Apple isn't going to replace a connector that's been supported for numerous years with a cable that isn't backwards compatible and is not of their own design.

----------

With the recent update to the MBP line they decreased the prices. How will these prices change with the introduction of Broadwell next year? Will they increase again to how they were before or stay the same (or even decrease more, but I doubt that)?

The price of the rMBP is likely to stay the same. However, the base storage and RAM may increase or the prices to upgrade components may come down.

lordromanov01

macrumors member
Apr 6, 2012
The price of the rMBP is likely to stay the same. However, the base storage and RAM may increase or the prices to upgrade components may come down.

Thanks. Funny how a lot of people think the MBP is heavily overpriced; in the UK I can get the base 2014 rMBP 15 for about £1300, which is less than even some netbooks. It really is reasonably priced these days, especially when you consider the high resale values.

littlepud

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2012
I was waiting for a Broadwell/Skylake, but caved when I was able to pick up a slightly used 2013 one (2.3/16/256/gt750m) for cheap. Now I figure I'll be set until after Skylake.

The Mercurian

macrumors 68020
Mar 17, 2012

I'm assuming this is sarcarsm ?
Of the long list of things I consider before buyign a computer, a symmetrical USB connector is roughly somewhere between my concerns regarding the fung shei of the room I will place the computer, and that weeks astrological predictions regarding the fortune the computer would bring me in the future!

marc77

macrumors newbie
Aug 18, 2014
I'm assuming this is sarcarsm ?
Of the long list of things I consider before buyign a computer, a symmetrical USB connector is roughly somewhere between my concerns regarding the fung shei of the room I will place the computer, and that weeks astrological predictions regarding the fortune the computer would bring me in the future!

Having a MPB without USB 3.1 in 4 years might be equal to having one without USB 3.0 now.

The Leafs Fan

macrumors 6502a
Sep 5, 2013
Canada
Having a MPB without USB 3.1 in 4 years might be equal to having one without USB 3.0 now.

Having a rMBP in 4 years without 3.1 in 4 years might be equal to having one without USB 3.0 now. However, a rMBP without the type-C connector in 4 years is like not having one of those proprietery Qi wireless charging systems. Sure it works, but it's not compatible with other solutions on the market, and it's not backwards compatible.

ValSalva

macrumors 68040
Jun 26, 2009
Burpelson AFB
Got tired of waiting on Broadwell, too.. Grabbed a Mid 14 MBP13.

I am sure Apple is also tired of no Broadwell from Intel.. Hence why the incremental upgrade in mid-14.

I'm sure Apple is very unhappy. This delay for Broadwell will not exactly help Mac sales. But at least every other manufacturer is in the same boat. Your 13" rMBP will be cutting edge for probably another eight or nine months.

augustya

Suspended
Feb 17, 2012

The 2014 'upgrade' has made it interesting for those wanting a Mac laptop soonish. Skylake is scheduled for 2015; Apple is using the Nvidia 750M graphics even though 850M has been released since the start of the year; entry level MBs now have 16GB RAM standard and the refurbished store is suddenly good value.

Are you saying there will be no broadwell in the rMBP Line up and Apple will directly go fr the Skylake series ?

Last edited:

mafaky

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2014
Istanbul, Turkey
Are you saying there will be no broadwell in the rMBP Line up and Apple will directly go fr the Skylake series ?

Your prophecy is highly unlikely!!!:(

The predecessors of the current Haswell are Sandy Bridge (referred to as "tick" model) and more lately Ivy Bridge (referred to as "tock" model")

The successors to the current Haswell are Broadwell (referred to as "tick" model) and Skylake (referred to as tock" model)

For Intel's "tick-tock model" explanation pls. refer to Wiki's link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_Tick-Tock

My gutfeel is that Broadwell equipped rMBRs will likely appear in the market, during second half of 2015 (maybe even, fall season) in the current casing and cosmetics. The battery time may increase by one hour (hopefully!...):)

A year later we may start seeing Skylake equipped rMBRs possibly a year later and most probably in a new casing design.:cool:

Mr. Dee

macrumors 603
Dec 4, 2003
Jamaica
Waiting for Skylake and the following

- Skylake
- DDR4 RAM - this will be final series in DDR, manufacturers are moving to RRAM after this
- 1 TB SSD becomes standard
- USB 3.1
- Thunderbolt 3 - 40 GBs

mafaky

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2014
Istanbul, Turkey
Waiting for the Skylake

- Skylake
- DDR4 RAM - this will be final series in DDR, manufacturers are moving to RRAM after this
- 1 TB SSD becomes standard
- USB 3.1
- Thunderbolt 3 - 40 GBs

Hopefully we'll see Skylake sometime late in 2016 (if not early 2017) with the MacBook Pros (or whatever family of notebooks that may replace them...).:rolleyes:

mafaky

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2014
Istanbul, Turkey
is it expected for the exterior design to change?

My gutfeel and educated guess:

1) There will not be any cosmetic changes (esp. regarding the notebook case...) for the forthcoming Broadwell version(s).

2) I deliberately used "version(s)" bcz. I also forecast there will be a first generation Broadwell equipped rMBP, hopefully entering sales market during the first quarter of 2015. Then I expect an upgrade like "end2015" again with Broadwells; as they did for Haswells doring 2013 and 2014 (see the latest revamp referred to as "mid2014 update" during end July in USA, now worlwide availability...).

3) I expect to see Skylake equipped rMBP models around not earlier than mid 2016 (or 3rd or 4th quarter 2016; or maybe beg 2017; if Intel again experiences delays as they are now experiencing with the Broadwell's...) in the sales arena. With this Skylake intro, there will possibly be a notebook case revamp of some kind esp. if Apple will include USB 3.1 with Skylake...:cool::apple:

JudgeHolden

macrumors newbie
Aug 19, 2014
Anyone want to hazard a guess about whether Apple will switch to IGZO screens or adopt higher resolution displays next year?

I'm specifically interested in the 15" rMBP.

apfelmann

macrumors 6502
Jul 23, 2007
Anyone want to hazard a guess about whether Apple will switch to IGZO screens or adopt higher resolution displays next year?

I'm specifically interested in the 15" rMBP.

I guess the next step will be:
apple upgrades the 15" retina to 1680x1050 (native 3360x2100)

But if this step will happen 2015 or 2016? I haven't read any rumors about that yet

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.