Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Cool Hand Luke (1967)
A man refuses to conform to life in a rural prison.

There is a t-storm rolling through right now and I hope the satellite doesn't go out during the movie. But, if it does, I can watch it via the TCM iPad app later on.

Screen Shot 2014-08-19 at 5.45.54 PM.png

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Outstanding. Watched Butch Cassidy and Sundance Kid yesterday, loved it better. :)

You know, I've never seen CHL from start to finish until yesterday; I've always seen bits and pieces of it from time to time.

It was a good movie and I'm glad the t-storm didn't knock out my signal much.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Kurt's MacReady is my favorite performance of his. The novella is probably up there in my top 5 stories ever. LOL about your personal little Clark story (I liked that character too. "What do you have in mind, MacReady?")

I found the novelization of the film at Amazon. No ebook available, don't think I'll spend $14 to read it though. I did find the original short story Who Goes There? written in the 1930s. Speculation the author was copying HPLovecraft. (source) :)

Last edited:

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Neat and not surprising. H.P. Lovecraft was a major source for many scifi and horror writers that followed.

Brian Lumley is an outstanding modern writer who wrote quite a few books in HPL’s Cthulhu mythos.

I read several compilations of his (HPL) work in college. So much potential, great atmosphere, but most of them did not really seem to get off the ground. :confused:

ValSalva

macrumors 68040
Jun 26, 2009
Burpelson AFB
Just saw All Is Lost with Robert Redford. Pretty amazing that it keeps one's interest for over an hour and a half despite only a few lines of dialogue and just one character.

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....
I found the novelization of the film at Amazon. No ebook available, don't think I'll spend $14 to read it though. I did find the original short story Who Goes There? written in the 1930s. Speculation the author was copying HPLovecraft. (source) :)

The short story is the novella so you found it. :) I managed to get an eBook of it some time ago, but recently found the online version too. Yeah, I've seen that outpost31.com site.

Makes sense that the author would follow in HP's footsteps, given the Thing's appearance in the story.

Oh, D.T. speaking of stories, The Things was quite good. Thanks for the link.

Suture

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2007
Spiderman 2. I tried to watch it the other night. I actually made it nearly 90 minutes before I turned it off, realizing I had already seen it before... it was called Spiderman a few years ago. And Spiderman again, a few years before that.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
Oh, D.T. speaking of stories, The Things was quite good. Thanks for the link.

Oh great! Yeah, I enjoy stories that offer an “alternative perspective”, plus it such great source material (the short story, the movie).

I meant to mention it’s very short, so it’s a pretty small time commitment (hopefully other folks will check it out).

Did you see the prequel? (That was sort of marketed as a reboot, had the same name, but was definitely a prequel...)

----------

I read several compilations of his (HPL) work in college. So much potential, great atmosphere, but most of them did not really seem to get off the ground. :confused:

Yeah, some stories don’t have an easily followed narrative. If you want to read a really fun story that’s based on the HPL works, but has a clear narrative, and a much more modern take on the material - and even presents man as not being totally defenseless (vs. Cthulhu shows up and everybody craps their pants...), check out: The Burrowers Beneath by Brian Lumley. If you dig on that, and are interested in the sequel it’s titled: The Transition of Titus Crow (a character from the previous novel).

Heck, they’re both bundled together as one ebook for $5.69 (Titus Crow: Vol I) from Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Titus-Crow-Vo...d_sim_b_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=0K4P4225FVHBGCME25XK

:cool:

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Spiderman 2. I tried to watch it the other night. I actually made it nearly 90 minutes before I turned it off, realizing I had already seen it before... it was called Spiderman a few years ago. And Spiderman again, a few years before that.

The Amazing Spiderman 2? "Amazing" designates the reboot. I loved the first two with Tobey McQuire. Have seen neither of the reboots.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
The Amazing Spiderman 2? "Amazing" designates the reboot. I loved the first two with Tobey McQuire. Have seen neither of the reboots.

Yeah, the first two Raimi films are very good comic book movies, the second being in my top 10 [for the genre].

The 3rd is just awful, but I understand there was all sorts of issues, Raimi wanted to do something different, originally the intent was to introduce Venom over a 2 movie story arc (same thing wrecked the Jean Grey/Phoenix story in X-men).

Still, even with the terrific SM1 and 2, there were some things Raimi got wrong, that the “Amazing” reboot got really right in terms of tone, characterization, and while I understand there was some storyline where he did have organic web, I much prefer the original mechanical shooters.

firedept

macrumors 603
Jul 8, 2011
Somewhere!
Saw Lucy last night. Not something I would see twice, but was still okay. Had some interesting moments. Some predictable moments as well. Worth seeing once.

Attachments

• lucy_ver2_xlg.jpg
    lucy_ver2_xlg.jpg
    367.2 KB · Views: 82

Suture

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2007
I watched the newest one, had to go double check the title -- yes, it was the Amazing Spiderman 2. I just didn't like it. I personally never cared for any of the Spiderman movies.

I felt the original (non-Amazing) part 1 was alright, but I never liked anything after that really.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Yeah, the first two Raimi films are very good comic book movies, the second being in my top 10 [for the genre].

Agreed, incredibly good story telling.

The 3rd is just awful, but I understand there was all sorts of issues, Raimi wanted to do something different, originally the intent was to introduce Venom over a 2 movie story arc (same thing wrecked the Jean Grey/Phoenix story in X-men).

Still, even with the terrific SM1 and 2, there were some things Raimi got wrong, that the “Amazing” reboot got really right in terms of tone, characterization, and while I understand there was some storyline where he did have organic web, I much prefer the original mechanical shooters.

I was pissed at the way they handled The Phoenix. In the comic she was at war with herself, but was never the unstable psycho as depicted in XMen 3. And they easily could have made a 2 movie arc out of it. I loved that they devoted the first 2 XMen to Logan and his past. This is also why I, unlike so many others love the Wolverine Origins movie. It fills in a big gap of his story, even if it is divergent from the comics. :)

I hated First Class and have not seen the latest XMen installment... yet.

I watched the newest one, had to go double check the title -- yes, it was the Amazing Spiderman 2. I just didn't like it. I personally never cared for any of the Spiderman movies.

I felt the original (non-Amazing) part 1 was alright, but I never liked anything after that really.

I liked the "normal kid" and "victim villains" aspect of the first Spiderman series movies 1&2. But it got old with the 3rd installment and Sandman, and they handled Venom terribly.

obeygiant

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
totally cool
Saw Lucy last night. Not something I would see twice, but was still okay. Had some interesting moments. Some predictable moments as well. Worth seeing once.

If you take into account that Luc Besson also directed "The Fifth Element" and "The Professional" the movie made more sense to me. That director has a history of portraying protagonist women with near mythic powers.

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
The movie I just finished watching was Arnold teaching an average person how to do a proper workout routine from I believe the 80s. Is funny how weight training has not changed nor the equipment. Arnold was also small in muscle mass in the video since he was in the off season when he filmed this. If you are a fan of Arnold or working out I recommend it.

----------

Agreed, incredibly good story telling.

I was pissed at the way they handled The Phoenix. In the comic she was at war with herself, but was never the unstable psycho as depicted in XMen 3. And they easily could have made a 2 movie arc out of it. I loved that they devoted the first 2 XMen to Logan and his past. This is also why I, unlike so many others love the Wolverine Origins movie. It fills in a big gap of his story, even if it is divergent from the comics. :)

I hated First Class and have not seen the latest XMen installment... yet.

I liked the "normal kid" and "victim villains" aspect of the first Spiderman series movies 1&2. But it got old with the 3rd installment and Sandman, and they handled Venom terribly.

You are a Logan junkie which is why you liked origins; don't even try to defend it :p . Even the Japanese wolverine movie was better than wolverine origins. For me:
X2>FC>X1>FC2>the wolverine>X3>wolverine origins.
IMO I don't see understand how you hated FC, but loved origins. It makes no sense.

Spidy we are on the same page though.

Btw that 2 movies split came years after x3. People didn't think of splitting the last part of a trilogy at that time. It was considered a probable loss.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
You are a Logan junkie which is why you liked origins; don't even try to defend it :p . Even the Japanese wolverine movie was better than wolverine origins. For me:
X2>FC>X1>FC2>the wolverine>X3>wolverine origins.
IMO I don't see understand how you hated FC, but loved origins. It makes no sense.

Spidy we are on the same page though.

Btw that 2 movies split came years after x3. People didn't think of splitting the last part of a trilogy at that time. It was considered a probable loss.

There is no accounting for personal taste. :p My best defense is that Brian Singer and the writers set a high bar for the first two movies including an atmosphere that was highly appealing to me. Xmen3 lost that, but it was acceptable. I thought Wolverine Origins revived that vibe and it focused mostly on one character instead of the ensemble. This is always preferable for myself, revealed by the fact that I love Thor 1, and like Ironman 1&2, but am not a big fan of The Avengers.

In the first 3 movies The Professor and Magneto were advisories but they had some level of respect for each other, as far as I know, in the comic, they were never friends, but I have not read every XMen ever published. Magneto was painted as a bad egg from the start with his belief that "Homo-Superior" (versus Homo-Sapien) is the next step in the evolutionary ladder and deserved to rule the world.

First Class was a weak ensemble story and I objected to the Professor and Magneto being buddies.

For The Wolverine, I remember the XMen (not just Wolverine) did venture to Japan to fight these IronMan type mechs, but don't remember anything about a WWII Japanese guy wanting Wolverines regeneration abilities. Maybe I have forgotten. I disliked most of the characters in this film and the Wolverine is starting to look old. :p

Last edited:

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
There is accounting for personal taste. :p My best defense is that Brian Singer and the writers set a high bar for the first two movies including an atmosphere that was highly appealing to me. Xmen3 lost that, but it was acceptable. I thought Wolverine Origins revived that vibe and it focused mostly on one character instead of the ensemble. This is always preferable for myself, revealed by the fact that I love Thor 1, and like Ironman 1&2, but am not a big fan of The Avengers.

In the first 3 movies The Professor and Magneto were advisories but they had some level of respect for each other, as far as I know, in the comic, they were never friends, but I have not read every XMen ever published. Magneto was painted as a bad egg from the start with his belief that "Homo-Superior" (versus Homo-Sapien) is the next step in the evolutionary ladder and deserved to rule the world.

First Class was a weak ensemble story and I objected to the Professor and Magneto being buddies.

For The Wolverine, I remember the XMen (not just Wolverine) did venture to Japan to fight these IronMan type mechs, but don't remember anything about a WWII Japanese guy wanting Wolverines regeneration abilities. Maybe I have forgotten. I disliked most of the characters in this film and the Wolverine is starting to look old. :p

They met in Israel in a hospital if I remember correctly. At some point he did become the headmaster of the academy when he almost killed kitty. Does it matter though? Is not like the other movies were exactly like the comics. The continuity and history if the movies should not be based on the comics, but they serve as an inspiration for the movie arc. Origins was a mess of a movie; only Logan junkies liked it, and that is okay because that is your taste and what you like because in the end that is what matters when watching movies :)

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
They met in Israel in a hospital if I remember correctly. At some point he did become the headmaster of the academy when he almost killed kitty. Does it matter though? Is not like the other movies were exactly like the comics. The continuity and history if the movies should not be based on the comics, but they serve as an inspiration for the movie arc. Origins was a mess of a movie; only Logan junkies liked it, and that is okay because that is your taste and what you like because in the end that is what matters when watching movies :)

Why was Wolverine Origins a mess, more of a mess than any of the other XMen movies that all take huge liberties with the original story? If we allow the movies their own existence, I liked the depiction of the early years of Col. Stryker, and his use and abuse of mutants for this own objectives. It ties in nicely with Xmen 2. And I liked all of the mutants depicted even Deadpool (although he appeared after I stopped reading the series).

Last edited:

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
Why was Wolverine Origins a mess, more of a mess than any of the other XMen movies that all take huge liberties with the original story? If we allow the movies their own existence, I liked the depiction of the early years of Col. Stryker, and his use and abuse of mutants for this own objectives. It ties in nicely with Xmen 2. And I liked all of the mutants depicted even Deadpool (although he appeared after I stopped reading the series).

We can agree to disagree, especially Deadpool :)
I will just post this short interview from the director of said movie instead: http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/10/21/gavin-hood-on-the-problems-of-x-men-origins-wolverine
I don't want to side track your thread anymore though.:cool:

------------------------------

Currently watching Kora on Nick

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.