Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hrothgar

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 11, 2009
New York
When I open iPhoto and click on "Photos" & the Info button, it says that i have 6,600 photos, 50 videos and it's 19gb. But when I go into finder, photos, iPhoto library, it says it's 30 gb. What's the accurate number?

I'm trying to find out the data size of an album. I understand that albums in iPhoto are not really separate folders. But is there any way I can figure out how large a folder would be if I put all of the photos from a particular album into a separate folder? Is there a way to move them to a separate folder outside of iPhoto?

In iPhoto, in the folder list, under "Recent," I have "February 2014 Photo Stream," "Last 12 months" and "last import." I have no idea why it chose to create a February 14 photo stream. but for some reason, i can't delete it. Do I just ignore it? And there's no folder titled "Photo Stream". Is that the same as "Cloud"?

Do photos move automatically from "cloud" to "photos"? Sometime they seem to; sometimes they don't.

glenthompson

macrumors demi-god
Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
If you have deleted photos that were imported then they may still be in the iphoto trash taking up space. I think iPhoto just reports the space the photos take up not the entire database.

Not sure about finding size of an album or event - have you tried right clicking and getting info? To get external copies use the File-> Export menu pick. You can export full size originals or resize them to save space.

Yes, Photostream is pix stored in the cloud. What gets moved depends on settings in iPhoto, iCloud, and your idevices. I can't explain it because I don't fully understand it myself.

andyp350

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2011
You're library size in finder would include all your database files, thumbnails, multiple versions etc. I think the size you are seeing in iPhoto is just the size that your actual photos are taking up.

Hrothgar

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 11, 2009
New York
Thanks. Am I alone in finding iPhoto surprisingly confusing?
and it seems to freeze often, showing me the twirling beach ball.

andyp350

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2011
Never found it slow or seen the beach ball unexpectedly as far as I can recall. What machine are you running it on? I've only used it on my rMBP and a decent speck Hackintosh.
What parts have you found confusing, i find it quite simple so may be able to give you some helpful pointers if you're struggling to get your head around it. What program have you come from/used to using?

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
When I open iPhoto and click on "Photos" & the Info button, it says that i have 6,600 photos, 50 videos and it's 19gb. But when I go into finder, photos, iPhoto library, it says it's 30 gb. What's the accurate number?

Here is what is going on. When you edit a photo in iPhoto and save the edit it creates another full size copy of the image file so you can always revert to the original. So if you import a 5MB file and say adjust redeye then save, you have just expanded your iPhoto library by 2X5MB=10MB.

So if you edit a lot the imported photos you can easily have what you are seeing with the size mismatch.

----------

If no other app is doing this, and it is only iPhoto, you might try to rebuild the library. Backup before you do this just to be safe.

robgendreau

macrumors 68040
Jul 13, 2008
I'm trying to find out the data size of an album. I understand that albums in iPhoto are not really separate folders. But is there any way I can figure out how large a folder would be if I put all of the photos from a particular album into a separate folder? Is there a way to move them to a separate folder outside of iPhoto?

Try selecting the photos that are within an album. Then, with them selected, do a "show info," command-I. It should put up a sidebar with the photo count and cumulative size. You might be able to use smart folders to set up folders for export that have the sizes you want, but it would take some experimenting depending on the variability of the sizes of your photos. Then you'd use the file>export command to export them out of iPhoto and into separate Finder folders.

They also exist within folders within the iPhoto library package, but I find exporting albums to be an easier way to make separate external folders than to dive into the library, which can really confuse iPhoto.

Hrothgar

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 11, 2009
New York
thanks. i just saw these responses.

Can someone tell me how I can get rid of the "February 2014 Photostream Album"? I don't know why it's there.

Can I turn off "Events"? Can I turn off "Faces"?

and, this is probably a really stupid question: I take photos with my iPhone. They go to the iCloud and they appear in iCloud under the "Shared" section of iPhoto. Do I need to move these into "Photos"? Do they automatically go into Photos?

Last edited:

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Can someone tell me how I can get rid of the "February 2014 Photostream Album"? I don't know why it's there.

If there are no photos in that event you can delete it yes.

Can I turn off "Events"? Can I turn off "Faces"?

You cannot turn off events, but you can control how they are made. Look in iPhoto preferences in the General tab and you can tell it to make one event per week, per day etc. as photos are imported. It will also make one event per month for iCloud Photostream photos imported.

You cannot turn off faces.

and, this is probably a really stupid question: I take photos with my iPhone. They go to the iCloud and they appear in iCloud under the "Shared" section of iPhoto. Do I need to move these into "Photos"? Do they automatically go into Photos?

Look in iPhoto preferences in the iCloud tab and there is a checkbox there to auto import iCloud photos. I suspect you already have this on because of the February 2014 event you mentioned.

Rachloo

macrumors newbie
Aug 29, 2014
Help! How do I post my own question on here?!!

I'm having issues with iPhoto can anyone help?

Somehow when i've uploaded all of my phone photos they have gone into several different albums and there are lots of duplicates. They are also not in chronological order.

How do I put these 4 albums all into one without losing any photos so they are in order and only have one of each??!!!

Help :)

R

Brian33

macrumors 65816
Apr 30, 2008
USA (Virginia)

Somehow when i've uploaded all of my phone photos they have gone into several different albums and there are lots of duplicates. They are also not in chronological order.

How do I put these 4 albums all into one without losing any photos so they are in order and only have one of each??!!!

R

To post your own question create a new thread by going to the forum that applies and clicking the "New Thread" button near the top of the page. For example, go to "MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store" (https://forums.macrumors.com/forums/2/) and click the New Thread button.

I'm a little confused about your question. You say "there are lots of duplicates" -- are these "duplicates" in albums or events? It's OK to have a given photo in multiple albums... they are just links, not duplicate files.

Is the chronological order problem in certain ablums or in the events category?

In any case, I'd recommend you start a new thread -- you'll probably get more and better responses that way.

ApfelKuchen

macrumors 601
Aug 28, 2012
Between the coasts

R
First of all, let's make sure we're talking about the same thing, because Albums is a specific term. There are also Events, Photos, Faces, and Places, Recent (Last 12 Months, Last Import, Flagged, Trash), Shared... All of those are different ways you can find the same photos (something like using different Google search phrases). When you import photos, all those photos are displayed in one or more Events (one Event for each day). They also automatically appear in Photos, and may also appear in Faces (if you use it) and Places (if the photos have GPS data). They only appear in an Album if you create an Album and add photos to that Album.

However, even though the photo shows up in all these different places, there is only *one copy of that image file. Everywhere you see it, you're viewing the exact same image file - the file is not copied. (It will be copied when you Export, and when you create a New Version).

If the "albums" you refer to are Events - leave those alone - those are a record of your various photos by date. Same for Photos, that's a record of all the photos in your library.

The idea of Albums is to create presentations. Many Albums can contain the same image, without duplicating the image file. Say, you create one Album for Jane's Birthday Party. You may also have an Album named 2014 Family Photos, another Album that contains just your Favorite Family Photos; another that you use to create a Family Reunion Slideshow... and so on - each with different combinations of photos. The same photo of Jane opening her gifts can be in all those Albums, yet there's only one copy of the image file.

You can reorganize the images in an Album - it's as easy as click and drag. There are also options to Sort Photos by date, title, keyword. You can drag a photo into another Album, delete (Trash) it from other Albums...

Altogether, iPhoto requires that you think a bit differently about storing and organizing your photos, but the advantages are many, once you get used to it.

(* I'm sure someone will want to correct me on that "only one copy of the file" part. There are actually two files of the same image. One is the Master, which is never changed. The other is a Preview, which changes whenever you edit the photo. The Preview is the file you're usually viewing when you look at Albums, Events, and Photos.)

Rachloo

macrumors newbie
Aug 29, 2014
Thank you both!

Thank you Brian33 and ApfelKuchen,

It's all very confusing to me! I don't use faces or places or events really just albums. I had a look in events and there are hardly any photos on there.... I also went to photos and there are various photos that are downloaded more than once. Are these the masters because perhaps I accidentally imported them more them once?

It's nice that they are in order though. I'm still a little unsure about how to sort my albums. I've tried to attache a picture. I'd like all of these albums to be in one album and to get rid of the several copies of images that are in them. I'd also like them to be in order of time. Is there an easier way than dragging and dropping and deleting to achieve this?

Thanks again for your help! I hope the attachment works and I'm making sense!!

R

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-08-30 at 11.30.20.png
    Screen Shot 2014-08-30 at 11.30.20.png
    19.6 KB · Views: 228

Rachloo

macrumors newbie
Aug 29, 2014
I managed to start a new thread

As Brian33 suggested I've started a new thread.

Yay I now know how to do it.

I've called it Help with iPhoto!!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.