Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Aug 20, 2014, 05:08 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Alleged Schematic Shows Protruding Camera Ring on 4.7-Inch iPhone 6

Throughout the past few months, a number of design drawings, physical mockups, and component leaks have hinted at a protruding camera ring camera on the iPhone 6. Initial rumors indicated that the physical feature would be exclusive to the larger 5.5-inch iPhone 6, however recent photos of the 4.7-inch version's rear shell may indicate that it will also include a protruding camera ring.

Now, an alleged schematic shared by Apple.club.tw (Google Translate, via G for Games) once again shows a protruding camera ring on the back of the 4.7-inch iPhone 6, which is measured at 0.67-0.77 millimeters. The website also claims that the phone will be 7 millimeters thick, which lines up with the most recent leak showing off the device's rear shell and front panel for the first time.

Additionally, it is claimed that the 4.7-inch iPhone 6 has been given a codename of N56, while the 5.5-inch version is known as N61. This is in line with the code names of prior iPhones, as the CDMA version of the iPhone 4 was known as N92. However, no additional evidence suggests that N56 and N61 are the exact code names of both iPhone 6 models.

Apple will unveil the iPhone 6 on September 9, with a launch for the 4.7-inch version likely coming about a week or so after. It is possible that the 5.5-inch model may launch alongside its smaller counterpart, however production issues may push back its release until late next year or 2015.

Both models of the iPhone 6 will likely incorporate a faster A8 processor, a thinner, rounded chassis, and iOS 8. The camera on the iPhone 6 will also be improved, featuring a unified, round dual-LED "True Tone" flash and some form of image stabilization.

Article Link: Alleged Schematic Shows Protruding Camera Ring on 4.7-Inch iPhone 6
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2014, 05:09 AM   #2
maflynn

Are we getting so thin now that components are sticking out of the phone.

How thin is too thin, I think we have our answer.
Old Aug 20, 2014, 05:10 AM   #3
Milese3
macrumors regular

Personally, a protruding camera doesn't bother me.
Old Aug 20, 2014, 05:11 AM   #4
starnox
macrumors 6502

I hope not, that's the worst part of the iPod touch. I'd like to say Apple wouldn't but they already have with the iPod... dang
starnox is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2014, 05:13 AM   #5
ironsienna
macrumors regular

I don't have any problems with the protruding camera especially if (*speculation alert*) the ring is going to be made with some un-scratchable liquid metal alloy...

but oh boy... I can't get used to those hideous white bands...

Last edited by ironsienna; Aug 20, 2014 at 05:19 AM.
ironsienna is offline   20 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2014, 05:14 AM   #6
pickaxe
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironsienna View Post
I don't have any problems with the protruding camera but oh boy... I can't get used to those hideous white bands...
Apple's new style is "make something that is ugly, adamantly defend it until everybody claims it's modern and clean".
pickaxe is offline   27 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2014, 05:15 AM   #7
iBreatheApple
macrumors 68020

I simply don't understand the rationale (other than making the device as slim as possible). It's going to make for a rocky surface and, regardless of how durable, will seemingly only damage the lens much easier.
Old Aug 20, 2014, 05:16 AM   #8
Nik
macrumors 6502

Your phone now wobbles when laying on a desk.

Amazing, every detail has been considered!
Nik is offline   60 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2014, 05:16 AM   #9
sethlution
macrumors member

Well I guess it's official then. I hope it at least comes with a very good optical stabilisation to compensate for this.
sethlution is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2014, 05:16 AM   #10
Dave245
macrumors 6502a

I don't see the problem with a protruding camera, they have Sapphire covering them so its unlikely to get damaged.
Old Aug 20, 2014, 05:16 AM   #11
Xeyad
macrumors regular

As a current user of a Nokia Lumia 1020, a tiny protruding camera won't bother me at all. Many phones like the Galaxy S5 and Note 3 have a slight camera bump as well. I'm more worried about battery life at this point.
Xeyad is offline   11 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2014, 05:17 AM   #12
Putzytart
macrumors newbie

RAGE

This is one of the main reasons I don't like most android handset designs. Protruding lenses are just so ugly.

Maybe they'll sell a flush design back to us with the 6S. And get rid of those horrid antenna bands. Loving the rest of the design however. 'Close but no cigar'
Putzytart is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2014, 05:17 AM   #13
flottenheimer
macrumors 65816

I am really looking forward to the 'story' that justifies those antenna bands (nope I can't get over it). It should go something like "Reception is now WAY better than on any previous iPhone". My hope is that the bands will be way less visible on the black version.

And yeah, I know—I will probably put the phone in a case. Unfortunately Apple has taught me that the inside of gadgets should be as beautiful as the outside.
Old Aug 20, 2014, 05:18 AM   #14
iSteve-O
macrumors regular

There's a reason for that...

Interchangeable lenses:

iSteve-O is offline   14 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2014, 05:19 AM   #15
senioman
macrumors newbie

Ugliest iPhone. Ever
senioman is offline   34 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2014, 05:20 AM   #16
Neodym
macrumors 6502a

They'd better gone towards a clear protrusion of e.g. 1 or 2 mm, to indicate it is intended. With only 0,67mm the user may get the impression that production quality is lacking:

"I can't really see it, but I definitely can feel it - my camera lens is not sitting completely flush with the body! Is this production tolerance enough to claim a replacement from Apple?".
Neodym is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2014, 05:21 AM   #17
Jimrod
macrumors 6502a

Just make it bloody thick enough to not have to have a protruding camera and we'll all enjoy the better battery life.

Seriously, are Apple this out of touch with what the majority of people want since Steve Jobs died? Does Jony Ive live in his own little bubble where "thinness" is the be-all and end-all of everything at the expense of performance and usability?

I guess Apple are getting desperate for a USP with the iPhone rapidly falling behind on spec sheets to competitors and being thinner than them is the only trump area left.
Jimrod is offline   31 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2014, 05:21 AM   #18
bushido
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by iSteve-O View Post
Interchangeable lenses:

april 1st thats all
Old Aug 20, 2014, 05:22 AM   #19
BeamWalker
macrumors 6502

So they could have used .7 of a millimeter to make people happy und give this thing a larger battery instead they going for thinness, at this point a thing only marketing people care about. Oh Dear. What an afterthought.
BeamWalker is offline   12 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2014, 05:23 AM   #20
SMIDG3T
macrumors 65816

I'm going to contradict myself here but here goes:

I don't care if it has a protruding camera but it had better be a bloody good camera!

Also, I'm not sure what you do with your iPhone but I normally look at the front where the screen is and not at the back so the fact it might stick out a little, as I've already said, doesn't bother me.

Finally, I never lay my iPhone on a table so no wobbling for me.

MacBook Pro w/ Retina display | Late 2013 Model | OS X Yosemite Developer Preview 8
SMIDG3T is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2014, 05:23 AM   #21
mdridwan47
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milese3 View Post
Personally, a protruding camera doesn't bother me.
Of course not. Because apple did it. It would be the most hideous thing ever if any other company did that.
mdridwan47 is offline   27 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2014, 05:23 AM   #22
Jimrod
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neodym View Post
They'd better gone towards a clear protrusion of e.g. 1 or 2 mm, to indicate it is intended. With only 0,67mm the user may get the impression that production quality is lacking:

"I can't really see it, but I definitely can feel it - my camera lens is not sitting completely flush with the body! Is this production tolerance enough to claim a replacement from Apple?".
Interesting that 0.67mm is looking like how much thinner the iPhone 6 is than the iPhone 5/5S... No-one ever complained about the 5 being too thick... They complained about battery life. Let's fix what's not broke and **** the rest!
Jimrod is offline   14 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2014, 05:23 AM   #23
ironsienna
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by maflynn View Post
Are we getting so thin now that components are sticking out of the phone.

How thin is too thin, I think we have our answer.
Too thin will probably be the iPhone 7 design where a la MacPro, you will just buy the screen and a bunch of connectors to externally connect batteries, antennas, microphones and speakers... Full expandability, versatile design and sexy sleek looks... You don't need a camera?? You simply remove it altogether!!!

What more we want from our life!!

This is going to be the next big thing and also the new iOS: iOS 9: Octopus

Last edited by ironsienna; Aug 20, 2014 at 05:37 AM.
ironsienna is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2014, 05:23 AM   #24
anomie
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironsienna View Post
I don't have any problems with the protruding camera especially if (*speculation alert*) the ring is going to be made with some un-scratchable liquid metal alloy...

but oh boy... I can't get used to those hideous white bands...
While I already love them!
anomie is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2014, 05:30 AM   #25
ironsienna
macrumors regular

By the way, from what I can see here, the protruding camera is on a bevelled area and does not create problems when the phone lies flat on a table..

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion