Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tech198

Cancelled
Original poster
Mar 21, 2011
Why is an iPad the better choice, if you can do exactly the same on a Macbook, and more ?

Even an Ultra-book, you can carry round easily with you now-days without a power adapter, and all the reviews i've seen basically are saying all the "features" that exist on Mac already..

If they already exist on a macbook already, then an iPad is no better because it does the same thing (and in some cases similar functionality).

Is this a good argument for not buying an iPad ?

So, why is would you need one if you have an ultrabook which is just as easy to carry with you, and 100 times better ?

With the exception of iOS apps.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
I like the iPad because it doesn't have a keyboard, When I'm reading, a keyboard just gets in the way.

BenTrovato

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2012
Canada
You don't need an iPad if you have an "ultrabook". Most people who already have laptops get iPads for convenience. They have the money and choose to spend it that way.

Tech198

Cancelled
Original poster
Mar 21, 2011
ok, that's answers my question. However, "convenience" isn't really an issue, since a Mac book air is just as convenient...

Apart from the money to spend, i was looking more at differences, that what you can do on an ipad, you can't do on a mac..

But if it just comes to money to spend, then ok.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Why is an iPad the better choice, if you can do exactly the same on a Macbook, and more ?
Because you can't always do the same on a MacBook. There are apps that run on iOS with no OS X version. There are many applications where an iPad is more appropriate than a notebook computer. If you don't recognize any such situations, then the iPad may not be right for you. It is, however, a good choice for millions of others.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
However, "convenience" isn't really an issue, since a Mac book air is just as convenient...

Well, not really. You open up a MscBook Air, and it becomes double the size of an iPad. I often read my iPad while sitting on a crowded train. Can't quite do the same with a MBA or other clamshell laptop/ultrabooks.

addictzz

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2012

Even an Ultra-book, you can carry round easily with you now-days without a power adapter, and all the reviews i've seen basically are saying all the "features" that exist on Mac already..

If they already exist on a macbook already, then an iPad is no better because it does the same thing (and in some cases similar functionality).

Is this a good argument for not buying an iPad ?

So, why is would you need one if you have an ultrabook which is just as easy to carry with you, and 100 times better ?

With the exception of iOS apps.

Have both. I was pondering about iPad vs MBA 11" then MBA 11" vs MBA 13" then got out of hand to MBA 13" vs MBP 13".

I figure out, it's just best to splurge and have both.

iPad for reading, iOS games, toy in my busride, news browsing, emergency work editing.
Macbook Air for everything else.

ditzy

macrumors 68000
Sep 28, 2007
In my opinion, the iPad is better for reading and playing. The mac is better for everything else. If you are only looking for a device that can do everything get a mac. If you want the best of all worlds get both.

Trius

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2008
iPad has built in cellular and is cheaper than a Macbook. I can remote desktop my Mac at home and do anything I need that can't be done on the iPad itself.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
ok, that's answers my question. However, "convenience" isn't really an issue, since a Mac book air is just as convenient...

Apart from the money to spend, i was looking more at differences, that what you can do on an ipad, you can't do on a mac..

I find the iPad to be MORE convenient that a laptop for what I use it for. I find that each device serves it own purpose. I need and use ipads, laptops and desktops on a daily basis!

Have you ever owned an iPad?

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
How about a Laptop/Notebook with a removable keyboard then?

From posts here, that seems to be the No.1 example of why the tablet is better, no keyboard to get in the way.

If Apple made an AIR that you could pull the keyboard away from, and say it went into low power iPAD mode when you did this, then hey, best of both worlds from the single device, just attach the keyboard when you wish to do some more serious work.

Only trouble is, most on these forums have already rubbished such a concept.

petvas

macrumors 603
Jul 20, 2006
Munich, Germany

From posts here, that seems to be the No.1 example of why the tablet is better, no keyboard to get in the way.

If Apple made an AIR that you could pull the keyboard away from, and say it went into low power iPAD mode when you did this, then hey, best of both worlds from the single device, just attach the keyboard when you wish to do some more serious work.

That is what the Microsoft Surface is supposed to be, but the level of compromises is just too big..Maybe it will get better in the future. Of course it's not great to have two devices instead of one..

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008

If some company made a device that truly was the best of both worlds, sure, I would buy that. But the tablet / laptop hybrids avaiable right now are more like the worst of both worlds.

I think the real issue with building a hybrid that is the best of both worlds is the screen size. The optimal screen size for tablets seem to be 10 inches and below. Bigger than that, and the screen is too big to hold comfortably in hand. The optimal size for laptops, however, is 11 inches and larger. Any smaller and the screen becomes cramped for desktop applications, but even more of a problem is that the keyboard has to be the same size as the screen. Any keyboard that fits a screen below 11 inches is too small to type comfortably on.

So while I have no problem with the concept of a hybrid device, I'm very skeptical that this concept can be executed well in real life.

Uofmtiger

macrumors 68020
Dec 11, 2010
Memphis
For me, a laptop is too clumsy to lay on the couch and read. It is too clumsy to use as a remote for all of my audio/video equipment, it is too clumsy to use for Airplay compared with the iPad (although I will use it if I am already using the laptop for something else), it is too clumsy to use to control Plex/Rdio/Spotify/iTunes on the mini I have hooked to my entertainment center, it is too clumsy to use as an AppleTV/Roku remote, it is too clumsy to use for Navigation when we are on vacation, it is too clumsy for reading books and magazines on, it is too clumsy for carrying from room to room, it is just too clumsy for many purposes.

I have a Lifeproof case on my iPad. As far as I know, there is no way to do this with a laptop. As a result, I wouldn't want to carry it outside, use it in the hot tub/pool, etc.. Also, my iPad has cellular and is easy to carry anywhere.

The reason I don't want a combo device is that I need a bigger screen for the things I do on my computer. Once the screen gets to a usable size for my work, it is too cumbersome for the things I do on my iPad.

To me, there is really no comparison and they have different uses for me. In other words, I enjoy having both.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
I can put the iPad Mini with a keyboard case on in my small purse or pocket. Plus it has a decent camera on the back. It's also durable and I've been out in the rain and snow with it.

I wouldn't do that with a regular MacBook. :D

appleii.c

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2013

Convenience. Portability. When closed, sure the ultrabooks are about the same size. bot you still need to flip them open which makes them twice the size. I dont always need the full keyboard and full OS so I choose the slim, convenient iPad.

Oh and Price.

Last edited:

Ray Brady

macrumors 6502
Dec 21, 2011
I can use my iPad as a map while hiking, or in unfamiliar cities. I can use it to take impromptu photos or videos. I can use it to program my DVR and control my AppleTV. I can use it to deposit a check. I can read a book comfortably while standing.

None of these can be done as easily on my laptop.

appleii.c

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2013

Well, the fact that I can add a BT keyboard to the iPad already solves that issue if needed. But then there we go, trying to turn a tablet into a laptop.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Have you tried using a MacBook while standing in line for something? Let me tell you, the iPad is just much easier to use. Sure you can use your smartphone but there's quite a noticeable difference between 16:9 6" and 4:3 7.9/9.7".

jwalker99

macrumors newbie
Jan 10, 2006
That is what the Microsoft Surface is supposed to be, but the level of compromises is just too big..Maybe it will get better in the future. Of course it's not great to have two devices instead of one..

A month into my switch from an MBA/iPad to the SP3, I find the level of compromise to be exaggerated. While it may not be quite as stable in the lap as a traditional laptop, that's when i'm typically in consumption mode anyway. Lounging on the couch or laying in bed reading, browsing, watching a video or checking emails. It's a little bit bigger and heavier than the iPad, but also has more screen space which some might find beneficial. And it's not like it isn't workable with the keyboard in these situations either - again just not quite as stable. But i always preferred working with my MBA on a desk anyway. And while the SP3's keyboard is different than the MBA's, it's still perfectly capable. The trackpad might be smaller, but the touch screen and stylus more than make up for it.

I realize the device isn't for everyone, and obviously a non-start for anyone who wants to remain in Apple's ecosystem, but it can definitely make sense for those who typically "consume" with their tablets and "create" with their laptops/desktops. Especially for anyone who wants to consolidate two or more devices into one.

ApfelKuchen

macrumors 601
Aug 28, 2012
Between the coasts
Weight and compactness makes it more likely I'll have my iPad with me when I leave the house. In a sense, it's little different then asking, "Why use the iPhone camera when you have a $2,000 DSLR?" Because the camera you have in your pocket is "better" than the camera you left at home.

There's no way I'd read a book in bed on a laptop - I used to, but once you use an iPad or ereader, there's no going back.

MacBook Air 11" - 2.38 lbs. iPad Air - 1 lb. (and the charger is lighter and more compact, too.) When you're carrying it around all day in a backpack (which I do), that makes a substantial difference.

In the end, all these things are tools. Different tools fit different users. Trying to make a Phillips screwdriver into a slotted screwdriver is a pointless exercise. A tablet is not a failed laptop or a crippled Ultra-book. it's a tablet, with its own specific characteristics.

You want a 1 lb. Apple laptop? You may have your wish someday. It'll do everything a PC user expects from a PC. In the meantime? I'll be very happy if iPads remain the relatively simple computers they are today - there are a whole lot of people out there that don't need (or want) the capabilities and complexities of a full-strength desktop OS - Call it, "The computer for the rest of them."

CEmajr

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Charlotte, NC
Other than reading books I find the IPad to mainly be a convenience thing over the MacBook like someone said above. I actually started reading more books since I got an iPad.

Due to the size difference I also tend to take my iPad Mini to school with me almost everyday while I usually leave my MacBook at home. Would the MacBook perform the majority of the tasks I use my iPad mini for and more efficiently? Yes. But the iPad is more convenient.

rillrill

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2011
New York
i think this question of why an iPad is being asked more and more these days as smartphones get larger and larger. I briefly had an iPad 2 when that was released, and I sold it within a year. A smartphone and laptop were perfectly fine for my needs. Now I'm wondering if a Macbook is even needed. I like the idea of getting things done on a 5-5.5 inch main device and a cheapo chromebook.

mofunk

macrumors 68020
Aug 26, 2009
Americas
My iPad and my MBP cover different needs for me. iPad keeps me mobile. After two hours the MBP becomes very heavy. I can store my portfolio on my iPad. Very good with presentations and stuff. Entertainment wise I can watch movies on the go and play games.

MacBook is used for more taxing projects.

If you look at it pre iPad…. Most people would have a desktop and a laptop. The laptop is now our desktop… and the laptop is the iOS device. :)

ron7624

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2011
Houston, Texas area

One handed reading while on the throne comes to mind.
One handed reading anywhere and that includes away from home. Having cellular capabilities make the iPad much more connected than any wifi only device. Your not locked into an area with the iPad.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.