Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

oo7ml

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 20, 2010
Hi,

I've just built my first app with Parse.com

I think it is a great service, however i think it is missing one very important feature. I think you should be able to pay for a 'pro' service which offers a faster connection and server, as some apps rely greatly on speed.

01 - what are you opinions on parse.com
02 - have you used any alternatives, or have you just used your own VPS
03 - any recommendations on what BAAS or VPS to use for an instant messaging app

Thanks in advance for your help.

VPrime

macrumors 68000
Dec 19, 2008
London Ontario
We used parse, it powered our initial app to over 170,000 users.
But for our case we used it mainly just to store user details, and powered our in-app community which showed user created projects. It is not used for anything too intensive.

That being said we quickly found it was limiting what we wanted to do, like move off the app and do more web based things.
So for our new version we have decided to create our own backend on AWS. It looks like Parse is trying to fix this with parse PHP.

Another alternative for you could be Firebase:
https://www.firebase.com/
Not exactly the same as Parse, but it could be useful for you.

oo7ml

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 20, 2010
Cool, thanks.

Yeah there are trying to fix that with Parse PHP but it is still difficult to create a web interface for your app (if it is needed).

Scalability is a major concern of mine with Parse, as it seems a bit too slow to load. I don't understand why they don't offer a faster connection / server for a monthly premium.

VPrime

macrumors 68000
Dec 19, 2008
London Ontario
I think you can contact them and they will work with you. They offer(ed) an enterprise solution before, but we never needed it so we didn't look into it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.