Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ramraid

macrumors newbie
Jun 8, 2008
Dubai, UAE
I live in Dubai and I highly doubt the new store would replace the Vox Cinema in the Mall of Emirates. The theater is doing quite well and the location doesn't quite fit either (right next to it is a large food court and the floor below has Virgin Megastore nearby). All of the electronic shops are toward the east side of the Mall, and recently Jumbo Electronics went out of business I think. So that could be the potential new store. Otherwise, I wonder where that "biggest store in the world" could be because Vox Cinema itself isn't even that big.

Another fact to think about is that in the Mall of Emirates there is already an Apple authorized store. I wonder what will happen to that store (although hardly anyone purchases from that store based on what I have seen)

Could it be located in the area of Borders book shop next to the Vox Cinema? That closed down a few weeks ago for renovation and is not due to open until 2015. I passed MOE today on the metro, and it looks like there is some construction going on in that general area on the outside. Maybe that part of the mall is being extended?

Anyway good news if UAE is finally going to get a proper apple store :)

RoyalElephant

macrumors member
Jul 21, 2013
And the Republic of Ireland, too, please...

:apple: :cool:

Yep. We currently have ZERO and we need about four.

One big store in Dublin, preferably Grafton Street area. One medium sized in Cork City and a small one in Galway City and another small one in Waterford city.

I see MacBooks and iPhones and iPads everyday. There's definitely demand.

syklee26

macrumors 6502a
Jul 26, 2005
Could it be located in the area of Borders book shop next to the Vox Cinema? That closed down a few weeks ago for renovation and is not due to open until 2015. I passed MOE today on the metro, and it looks like there is some construction going on in that general area on the outside. Maybe that part of the mall is being extended?

Anyway good news if UAE is finally going to get a proper apple store :)

that Borders book store is not big enough to have an Apple store to be called "the biggest in the world."

I somehow hope Apple's presence means "certified refurbished mac" being available.

ogun7

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2001
Mall of the Emirates is still pretty great even after Dubai Mall opened (and has a Potbelly :)). Mall of the Emirates hosts Ski Dubai, where you get to ski in a giant fridge...

What's Potbelly? Sounds delicious.

lamerica80

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2008
Whats the point of making a huge apple store? Instead of 20 demo ipads in a row for people to leave fingerprints on there will be 200?

Instead of 10 geniuses there will be 1000 geniuses all lined up in a row ready to serve?

SidricTheViking

macrumors 6502
Aug 20, 2014
Lack of stores in Ireland does surprise me. You'd expect at least one in Dublin (yeah I know doesn't help the south or west of Ireland!)

Tell me about it! I was at the opening of Ireland's only store - in Belfast, Northern Ireland (UK) - a few years ago. It was a great morning (sardine-like, of course) but it reminded me of the notable absence of a Dublin store. Cork city certainly should have one, too. For a company that employs 4,000 people here, it's surprising.

I've emailed Tim Cook in the slim hope of getting things moving...

:confused: :apple:

TallManNY

macrumors 601
Nov 5, 2007
Oh yeah Apple, Dubai.

There's a couple big empty buildings on Grafton Street in Dublin, Ireland.

Apple. Please..... we need a store. There's a lot of rich people in this country and a lot of rich people visit that area of the city.

Apple, I know read these posts,
I will be really insulted if you do major expansion in the UAE without putting at least one retail store in the Republic Of Ireland, the country you have your EU HQ in should also have a big store.

I'm begging you, I want a store! I need a store! I'm sick having to go up to Belfast for my AppleCare. I had to go twice last year.

I know you have a send in service but it's terrible.

I wonder if there are tax reasons behind that. Apple uses Ireland as its major holding company location in order to keep large amounts of revenue out of the US. It basically organizes and runs its entire non-US operations out of Ireland. I wonder if having retail employees might muddy the waters a bit. Probably not, but it would add direct Ireland based revenue instead which would definitely be subject to Irelands taxes. Unlike the holding companies which pay no Irish taxes.

RightMACatU

macrumors 65816
Jul 12, 2012
Dubai size on one end of the spectrum... and Apple product vending machine in airports on the other... I've never seen a line up or people camping at the vending machine :D

paulrustad101

macrumors member
Jul 24, 2014
Apple may be big, but their stores in MN are SMALL

The closest Apple store, stuck in a mall, is too small. Less than 1000 sq feet. Packed with people. Even the Mall of America store is small......I love going in and playing with the new toys, but when you are so crowded it becomes a hassle.

----------

Potbelly's is a sandwich shop out of Chicago. Wonderful food. Soooo much better than Quiznos or Subway.

BJMRamage

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2007
Potbelly's is a sandwich shop out of Chicago. Wonderful food. Soooo much better than Quiznos or Subway.

too bad the ones in Maryland are just so-so. i suppose some better flavors than subway/quiznos but the prices are higher too.

when co-workers ask if i want to go there for lunch...I pass.

MacVista

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2007
All the green Apple has done to this day will go right out the glass ceiling in the middle of the desert. :eek:

Last edited by a moderator:

FloatingBones

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2006
I live in Dubai and I highly doubt the new store would replace the Vox Cinema in the Mall of Emirates. The theater is doing quite well and the location doesn't quite fit either (right next to it is a large food court and the floor below has Virgin Megastore nearby). All of the electronic shops are toward the east side of the Mall, and recently Jumbo Electronics went out of business I think. So that could be the potential new store. Otherwise, I wonder where that "biggest store in the world" could be because Vox Cinema itself isn't even that big.

Apple has a long history of locating its stores in proximity to Victoria's Secret. There's one listed for this mall. Is there an appropriate space nearby? :D

sillypooh

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2010

They have one of the best meatball sub on earth (but you have to add jalapeno peppers). Fantastic bread. Great pickled veggies.

Discovered them recently in Jersey City, Exchange Place, thinking it was a one of a kind place. Discovered later on it's a chain.

To my knowledge, Dubai is the only place in the region that has one. Their version is not bad when they don't screw up your order. Also the meatballs might be halal there...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.