Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jasmine5142

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 16, 2014
I spilled coffee yesterday, the coffee was pure coffee and a bit of milk, no sugar.
And It's go into right side 1/4? of the laptop. I immediately turn off my laptop and put upside down, wipe all of the coffee and dry outside for few hours.
after all, I turned on and it still works normally so far.
I already have experience spilt cider few months ago, and fixed it.
I don't want to fix it again.
Can I keep this laptop? or should I do something?

asriznet

macrumors regular
Dec 21, 2013
Singapore
I spilled coffee yesterday, the coffee was pure coffee and a bit of milk, no sugar.
And It's go into right side 1/4? of the laptop. I immediately turn off my laptop and put upside down, wipe all of the coffee and dry outside for few hours.
after all, I turned on and it still works normally so far.
I already have experience spilt cider few months ago, and fixed it.
I don't want to fix it again.

It must have been the sugar, you're lucky u didn't put any...:p

Jokes aside, some of the liquid might have seeped internally and that's not a good sign. Depending on how early the internal electrical components get's affected, I wouldn't start using it until i'm sure it's clean off properly.

Furthermore if you will be sending your Macbook Air for service under warranty, the Apple Store or Apple Authorised Service Provider can deny the repair under warranty if they identify the liquid damage on the computer.

What I would do, is attempt to open up the computer and try to clean as much as possible, iFixit have really good guides

https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/MacBook+Air+13-Inch+Mid+2013+Teardown/15042

I wouldn't do a full teardown, probably just the affected areas.

Meister

Suspended
Oct 10, 2013
I've dropped my iPad in a bucket full of water and had to fish is out.
Same happend to my Nokia3210 in a toilet :eek: many moons ago.
They all were fine.

rei101

macrumors 6502a
Dec 24, 2011
Take it to the genius bar and tell them. There is a liquid to clean circuits that they may use.

The problem with liquids is that they dry but they are sticky and they attract dust. Eventually they will retain more heat that will burn the surface they are on. That is the actual problem.

Play safe and have it clean.

Dadioh

macrumors 65816
Feb 3, 2010
Canada Eh?
Get it cleaned! If you leave the residue sitting on the circuits they will continue to corrode in the presence of the residue and voltage. Electromigration is driven by voltage and will eat away the solder joints and tracks. It may work for a while but once the corrosion has eaten away the track you are looking at replacing the logic board. Clean it now before it corrodes and you can avoid the headache later.

Cleaning involves removing the logic board and cleaning with isopropyl alcohol solution preferably in an ultrasonic cleaner.

Ravesh

macrumors member
Aug 15, 2014
sri lanka
Fix it

Since coffee is a sticky liquid it will stick to the internal components eventually causing major overheating issues and breakdowns so send it for service to Apple since it's liquid damage they will probably charge you around 100$

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I'd look take it apart and clean out any residual stuff that might be laying around.

I also recommend a laptop stand to elevate the laptop off the desk so that if you do knock your coffee over, it will spill harmlessly on the desk.

ha1o2surfer

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2013
You may have been saved by the fact the macbook air slants down and the Logic Board is at the top lol

cyber16

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2013
Take that, PC.

There are many PC laptops that you can pour water into the keyboard and it just drains out.
They install drains for this, apple does not.
Yet like most keyboards today, they are sealed on the underside, and no they are not used for fresh air cooling.

Folks, if you get your air wet, power it off, and tilt it up, keep the track pad lower. The logic board is at the top of the laptop, the magsafe i/o power board is on the side.
It is much safer to flood the sealed battery compartment area until you can remove the back cover to drain it out.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
That will teach you not to pollute your coffee with milk.

Oh...wait...this isn't a coffee thread.

Never mind...:eek:

No, my dear friend Shrink, for once,I beg to differ with you; here, it seems to me that the question is not the pollution of coffee with me (and I would class myself as an offender here, but the polluting of the MBA with coffee…….and sundry other liquids of unknown provenance…..

Yes, please keep liquids away from your Mac.

Hope it all works out well for you.

This is the solution that occurred to me, too….

Well, if you couldn't break it with one coffee, maybe try with two...or what about a cappuccino?

Followed by a caffe latte, and another cappuccino, and then, for good measure, a nice, flavoursome, extremely sticky, and warming mug of rich and tasty hot chocolate….

cyber16

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2013
I should have been more clear, many business models such as the thinkpads, elitebooks and such have drains, they are only there to minimize damage in the event of a small keyboard spill.
Funny joke. I can't tell you how many PCs I've killed with coffee.

jolux

macrumors regular
Aug 9, 2014
I should have been more clear, many business models such as the thinkpads, elitebooks and such have drains, they are only there to minimize damage in the event of a small keyboard spill.

I believe that. I've only ever bought cheap PC laptops though, and all but one of them has died from a coffee spill.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008

I turned on and it still works normally so far.
That's exactly how I take my coffee, and I still work! The "normally" part may be in question, though! :D

asriznet

macrumors regular
Dec 21, 2013
Singapore
a question for the original poster, does it run faster now? how about sleep mode, any problems there?

I'm having a little trouble if there's sarcasm involves here...

Spilled coffee : sleep mode? :p

That would be funny if a mac have issues going to sleep mode because of coffee overdose :D:D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.