Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple's second-generation iPad Air may get a memory upgrade, bumping it up to 2 GB of RAM instead of the 1 GB in the current-generation device, reports Taiwan's TechNews [Google Translate] (via iPhone in Canada). According to the site, the increased RAM will be limited to the iPad Air, as the second-generation Retina iPad mini is expected to continue to offer 1 GB of RAM.

Apple began offering 1 GB of RAM with the third generation iPad, keeping the same amount of memory in the fourth-generation device and the fifth-generation iPad Air. With such a long span of time between memory upgrades, customers have been wondering when Apple might opt to bump up the RAM in its tablet lineup.

ipad_air_touch_id_mockup.jpg
iPad Air 2 mockup with Touch ID home button

Previous generations of the iPad have likely not seen a memory increase in order to keep costs low, save space, and preserve battery, but with some of the upcoming iOS 8 features, more RAM might be a necessity for smooth performance.

Apple is rumored to be working on split-screen multitasking for the iPad Air, a feature that will certainly be more memory intensive than running a single app at a time. The feature is said to allow two apps to run side-by-side on the iPad in multiple sizes, including 1/4, 1/2, or 3/4. While split-screen multitasking is likely to be available on existing devices, it may run better on Apple's upcoming iPad Air, which is also expected to gain a new A8 processor.

Thus far, rumors have suggested that split-screen multitasking will be limited to the iPad Air, though support may come to the iPhone and the Retina iPad mini at a later date. Split-screen multitasking is unlikely to be ready for iOS 8's fall debut, but it may come as part of an 8.1 update.

Previous concept for split-screen multitasking (not based on specific rumors)

TechNews also shares some information on Apple's upcoming iWatch, suggesting the device will sport 512 MB of internal memory along with 8 GB of storage, which cannot be confirmed with previous rumors as little is known about the device.

TechNews does not have much of a track record when it comes to Apple rumors, and what it has shared has seen mixed outcomes. The site accurately predicted a sapphire cover for the Touch ID home button ahead of the launch of the iPhone 5s, but it also incorrectly suggested the home button would be capacitive.

Apple is said to be planning an October event to unveil the iWatch, even though the device may not ship until late 2014 or early 2015. That October event may also include the debut of the second-generation iPad Air and the second-generation Retina iPad mini.

Article Link: Second-Generation iPad Air May Get Memory Boost to 2 GB

dlewis23

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2007
I would expect this to happen in the iPhone 6 also since they will almost absolutely likely use the same SOC.

vp719

macrumors regular
Jan 13, 2007
It HAS to go to 2 GB...being unable to switch between multiple apps (especially anything in iWork) rapidly, or having Messages freeze up while it repopulates the message list drives me nuts. 1GB on my current Air is biggest complaint of any Apple product I've ever owned.

Klae17

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2011
That and Touch ID will be the only things that will compel me to upgrade my current iPad Air.

iamgalt

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2012
I was hoping for gold, finger print ID, and 2GB of memory on the first iPad air. Guess I should have waited another year before upgrading from my iPad 2.

baryon

macrumors 68040
Oct 3, 2009
I do hope the current iPad Air will support split screen multi tasking though.

macrumors 601
May 19, 2011
I've decided I won't be upgrading my iPad Air this time around. I think the Air is the best state the iPad has been in and I'm not gonna fork out for a new one just for TouchID (although it'll be a welcome and logical addition).

That being said, I am an iPhone 5s owner and will be upgrading to the iPhone 6 purely because it's probably my most used device and because...ooh, shiny! I'll also be first in line for an iWatch!

Phonzoxd

macrumors 6502a
May 28, 2013
Can't wait to see what the Air 3 will offer.

I already assumed what will happen with the Air 2, when they announced the Air (more ram, added touch ID) so i wasnt hyping.

But Air 3 should yield something interesting.

macrumors 601
May 19, 2011
Apple had to save Touch ID and 2GB RAM from last year to this year to give customers that 'I want that' factor :D

I think you're right. The only reason I won't be upgrading my iPad Air is because I don't think Apple can offer me anything else in the way of the iPad right now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.