Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MrGIS

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2010
Ontario Canada
Couldn't wait any longer..

I recently pulled the trigger on what turned out to be a like new 2012 Mini server 2.6 with 16 GB of ram on eBay. $818 Cdn. My 2011 was great in most respects, but I really needed USB 3. The improved graphics are nice too. With the added SSD, it's a powerful little rig. I certainly would recommend one to all mini fans. Maybe there is no practicle reason for waiting for an update?...

dimme

macrumors 68040
Feb 14, 2007
SF, CA
I recently pulled the trigger on what turned out to be a like new 2012 Mini server 2.6 with 16 GB of ram on eBay. $818 Cdn. My 2011 was great in most respects, but I really needed USB 3. The improved graphics are nice too. With the added SSD, it's a powerful little rig. I certainly would recommend one to all mini fans. Maybe there is no practicle reason for waiting for an update?...

Yes if you NEED a mini now there is nothing wrong with the current one. Sure new graphics would be nice, but for general use the 2012 still works great.

MRrainer

macrumors 68000
Aug 8, 2008
Zurich, Switzerland

The only thing a 2012 does not do is 4K video output (>30Hz).
If you want a Mini that does 4K, you have to wait. Period.
And maybe for a long time.

Lankyman

macrumors 68020
May 14, 2011
U.K.
I too have my eye on Win 9. And Apple would be well advised to see what a stupid idea ignoring desktops could be. eg. Windows 8.1! What a load of crap.

But there is really no computer out there I like near as much as the mini in the Windows world. All too loud, too slow, too ugly.
Really, is that a serious statement? Windows 8.1 is rather good and had MS released this in the first place things may have been a whole lot different.

Mockenrue

macrumors 6502
Aug 3, 2013
Really, is that a serious statement? Windows 8.1 is rather good and had MS released this in the first place things may have been a whole lot different.

I agree... I was always a Windows user who quickly adopted most new versions, but I hated Windows 8. Drove me to buy my first Mac (2013 Macbook Air). Recently my home PC had been acting up and begging me to upgrade. I was watching the Mac Mini closely, and might have gone that way if they released a tempting new model.

Then I decided to give 8.1 a try after hearing good things, and it was a huge improvement - surprisingly so. I actually ended up getting a Lenovo desktop and it's been great. I really like my "Airs" (Macbook and iPad) for how I use them, but I still think a Windows desktop is much more flexible from a Software perspective, and I have a lot of favorites that aren't on OS X or translate poorly.

Cape Dave

Contributor
Nov 16, 2012
Northeast

22 year Windows user here. I can handle Win 8. Neither my clients nor myself could not understand why I had to reteach them (on their dime) what they already knew, because Microsoft did such drastic changes that people could not even manage turn off their computer. HORRIBLE. A perfect example of bad research. And many bad decisions.

So, instead of admitting they made a horrible mistake, a la New Coke, they hemmed and hawed and refused for years to admit they messed up. I see Win 8 as the biggest productivity vacuum suck ever. A user base that big is just not where you want to be making big sweeping changes. Ever.

So, by the time 8.1 came, they gave us a hobbled start menu that is a mere shell of its former self, and even then refused to admit they went too far. But, they saw the lack of upgrades and lackluster PC sales (Which they single handedly caused) and figured they better not try to take the lipstick off the pig and decided (correctly)to promise us better in Win 9.

So yes, my statement was deadly serious, and I invite ANYONE to refute my argument. MS screwed up and could not admit it. They suck for that reason. They disrespected one of the largest user bases in the know universe and paid the price.

The Win 8 Underpinnings are, I am sure, an improvement. But 99.8% of their users have never ever given even an inkling of a hint of a micro thought to underpinnings, ever. Because that does not help them get their work done.

In the mean time, due to this and a confluence of events, I bought a mini and fell in love. Not all at once, but over time. I planned on using Windows only, but OSX called to me and I gave it a shot. Ultimately, I would have to say it is easier to use. More friendly, less techie. Sometimes to a fault. But I can do every thing I need to do.

And that brought me here to this forum.

And for the record, I was like one of the first 10 people to buy Start8. I bet that company laughed all the way to the bank. Right place, right time, right software :) Nicely played.

Bring on 9, I will be trying the beta when available. On my virtual drive :)

Crosscreek

macrumors 68030
Nov 19, 2013
Margarittaville
22 year windows user here. I can handle win 8. Neither my clients nor myself could not understand why i had to reteach them (on their dime) what they already knew, because microsoft did such drastic changes that people could not even manage turn off their computer. Horrible. A perfect example of bad research. And many bad decisions.

So, instead of admitting they made a horrible mistake, a la new coke, they hemmed and hawed and refused for years to admit they messed up. I see win 8 as the biggest productivity vacuum suck ever. A user base that big is just not where you want to be making big sweeping changes. Ever.

So, by the time 8.1 came, they gave us a hobbled start menu that is a mere shell of its former self, and even then refused to admit they went too far. But, they saw the lack of upgrades and lackluster pc sales (which they single handedly caused) and figured they better not try to take the lipstick off the pig and decided (correctly)to promise us better in win 9.

So yes, my statement was deadly serious, and i invite anyone to refute my argument. Ms screwed up and could not admit it. They suck for that reason. They disrespected one of the largest user bases in the know universe and paid the price.

The win 8 underpinnings are, i am sure, an improvement. But 99.8% of their users have never ever given even an inkling of a hint of a micro thought to underpinnings, ever. Because that does not help them get their work done.

In the mean time, due to this and a confluence of events, i bought a mini and fell in love. Not all at once, but over time. I planned on using windows only, but osx called to me and i gave it a shot. Ultimately, i would have to say it is easier to use. More friendly, less techie. Sometimes to a fault. But i can do every thing i need to do.

And that brought me here to this forum.

And for the record, i was like one of the first 10 people to buy start8. I bet that company laughed all the way to the bank. Right place, right time, right software :) nicely played.

Bring on 9, i will be trying the beta when available. On my virtual drive :)

ditto :)

Lankyman

macrumors 68020
May 14, 2011
U.K.
But 8.1 is a world away from 8. If you right click the new 'start button' there is now a recognisable menu option there and the OS itself is very very stable. You can boot straight to Desktop so you never need to see the Modern UI. I run mine on Parallels and find it's a very easy system to use - a refined W7 is how I refer to it.

Yes they made a huge mistake with W8 - I tried and tried but never really got on with it. However, with 8.1 it's back to the good old days.

My worry now is Yosemite. I'm really not liking what I am seeing.

dimme

macrumors 68040
Feb 14, 2007
SF, CA
First off I do not want to give up on a new mini or OS X...
But with the brix computer and Win 8 it is a nice alternative.
But not yet:apple:

Crosscreek

macrumors 68030
Nov 19, 2013
Margarittaville

I don't see any difference to speak of other than the flat icons.
It still runs the same except it's a little buggy on beta.
Same OS with just cosmetics and continuity for IOS.
I quit using the beta because it crashes but thats beta for you.
html5 doesn't work for me on Netflix but I guess it's ok for some people.
Safari seems much faster.

Cape Dave

Contributor
Nov 16, 2012
Northeast
But 8.1 is a world away from 8. If you right click the new 'start button' there is now a recognisable menu option there and the OS itself is very very stable. You can boot straight to Desktop so you never need to see the Modern UI. I run mine on Parallels and find it's a very easy system to use - a refined W7 is how I refer to it.

Yes they made a huge mistake with W8 - I tried and tried but never really got on with it. However, with 8.1 it's back to the good old days.

Although I have 8.1, I have not spent any time with it. Since I had Start8 since the beginning, and have had both those features, I cannot imagine that it is much better FOR ME. But for less savvy or beginner users, I am sure it is better. Still, it is not the REAL start menu. Period.

If 9 is good, I will again recommend it. I am more into websites than tech support these days. Thankfully.

And I am always happy to have an alternative, in case, like with Microsoft, the whole things goes sideways :)

I am looked at every small Windows box out there. Meh. Too loud, too slow, too ugly to crappy. But things, as we know, can change on a dime. Let's hope the next dime has something to do with a new mac mini!

Kentuckienne

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2013
No>me<where
Infidels! Speak not that name here!

It's bad enough that we have to wait. And wait. And wait. And while away the time with jocular songs and other drivel interspersed with actual Mac information. I can bear all that. But to have the historic "The new Mac mini is almost certainly coming" thread morph into a debate over the merits of various permutations of Windows 8? Not in this church! Do not be tempted by the smooth surfaces of modernity, lo though they be newer than 666 days. Remember how thou dids't once frolic in the land of open windows, and think thyself free, until you met the True One and realized - you'd been living in a fool's paradise! Put not your faith in the window, where registries corrupt and worms destroy. Have faith, have faith.

Be like Eve and go for the Apple.

If thou art flush with coin, then buyest thou something big and round and black with a hole in it. If thy bank account be mortal, fear not. I was once like you. I rejected the old tech. I wanted the new! And I suffered, verily, I suffered, for my 2003 PowerBook was old and weary. In denial I said, who needs flash? This old version of Rapidweaver is good enough. And what did I fear, really? That getting an older machine might knock a couple years off my 11 year upgrade cycle? My fickle Prefrontal Cortex did mislead me, and whisper into my ear, that I would be a fool with old technology and that I would suffer the torments of the damned on the very day the new Mini would come, which it was sure would be 15 days after I bought one.

Yet it was not so, and I have enjoyed this little machine for lo two months now, and with the sweet kick of 16 GM Ram and a darling little SSD from OWC, it has been two months of bliss. And so I say to you, impatient ones: if you need a machine, and if the current mini is more than good, you won't regret it. If you need a machine, but not that bad, and you're getting that kind of it-hurts-so-good pleasure out of tormenting yourself just a little, hang around here and give voice to your pain. But speak not that name here, you know what I'm talking about.

Cape Dave

Contributor
Nov 16, 2012
Northeast
I don't care at all, but from the reviews at least not as noisy as gigabyte's Brix.

Of course my ideal too is a fanless i7 + iris pro Mac mini.

It is ridiculously important to me. I agree with your Holy Grail. Would be so slick.

Upon further research, it seems like a jet engine.

Last edited:

stravedere

macrumors newbie
Aug 21, 2014
Roma
Apple give us this today our daily design!
Make cool mac mini. The warm computers die soon.
do not stick it all in
let me change the ram
and add a ssd
at least let me choose
these two things.
Amen.

MACTINI MID 2014 in my dreams: http://youtu.be/P3GLc6ruVF4

PS: thanks google translate for my english.

Ciao.

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
It's bad enough that we have to wait. And wait. And wait. And while away the time with jocular songs and other drivel interspersed with actual Mac information. I can bear all that. But to have the historic "The new Mac mini is almost certainly coming" thread morph into a debate over the merits of various permutations of Windows 8? Not in this church! Do not be tempted by the smooth surfaces of modernity, lo though they be newer than 666 days. Remember how thou dids't once frolic in the land of open windows, and think thyself free, until you met the True One and realized - you'd been living in a fool's paradise! Put not your faith in the window, where registries corrupt and worms destroy. Have faith, have faith.

Be like Eve and go for the Apple.

If thou art flush with coin, then buyest thou something big and round and black with a hole in it. If thy bank account be mortal, fear not. I was once like you. I rejected the old tech. I wanted the new! And I suffered, verily, I suffered, for my 2003 PowerBook was old and weary. In denial I said, who needs flash? This old version of Rapidweaver is good enough. And what did I fear, really? That getting an older machine might knock a couple years off my 11 year upgrade cycle? My fickle Prefrontal Cortex did mislead me, and whisper into my ear, that I would be a fool with old technology and that I would suffer the torments of the damned on the very day the new Mini would come, which it was sure would be 15 days after I bought one.

Yet it was not so, and I have enjoyed this little machine for lo two months now, and with the sweet kick of 16 GM Ram and a darling little SSD from OWC, it has been two months of bliss. And so I say to you, impatient ones: if you need a machine, and if the current mini is more than good, you won't regret it. If you need a machine, but not that bad, and you're getting that kind of it-hurts-so-good pleasure out of tormenting yourself just a little, hang around here and give voice to your pain. But speak not that name here, you know what I'm talking about.

Whatever you're smoking: I'd like some, please. :D

Cape Dave

Contributor
Nov 16, 2012
Northeast
On my God, light has finally dawned on Marblehead! The new Mac mini is HERE NOW!

But you have all gotten together on this thread and have not mentioned it.

Because you do not want me to know! It is a fully fledged conspiracy!

But I am too smart! I KNOW the new Mac mini is HERE now! At last!

Also, Apple is in on the conspiracy because when I go to their site the new mini is NOT there!

Hey, anyone seen my crack pipe???

Kentuckienne

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2013
No>me<where
On my God, light has finally dawned on Marblehead! The new Mac mini is HERE NOW!

But you have all gotten together on this thread and have not mentioned it.

Because you do not want me to know! It is a fully fledged conspiracy!

But I am too smart! I KNOW the new Mac mini is HERE now! At last!

Also, Apple is in on the conspiracy because when I go to their site the new mini is NOT there!

Hey, anyone seen my crack pipe???

Sorry, thought I copied you on the secret message! Just send your bank account number, social security number, name, phone, PayPal password and contents of your crack pipe to our Apple Store in Nigeria. And you will get what you deserve!

Cape Dave

Contributor
Nov 16, 2012
Northeast
Sorry, thought I copied you on the secret message! Just send your bank account number, social security number, name, phone, PayPal password and contents of your crack pipe to our Apple Store in Nigeria. And you will get what you deserve!

Normally I would do all that stuff because it sounds like a smart move. But, however, I will not be able to do it today as I am busy looking for my crack pipe and that is taking all my time.

I am calculating where I may have put it on an Excel spreadsheet on my OLD Mac mini!

tuc

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2003
Several in my family have been waiting for the updated Mini, but one of them could take it no longer and just purchased a base MacBookPro instead. (One of the 8GB Oct2013 models, which are nearly identical to the Jul2014 models but are discounted a bit.) Price was higher than a Mini, but he can take it with him when he travels.

The rest of us are still waiting.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.