Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MrX8503

macrumors 68020
Sep 19, 2010
The phone is ~10mm thick. The no bezel looks awesome, but the components had to go somewhere. At 10mm, that's a pretty thick phone.

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
For example, if I tell you to stop what you're doing and put your hands on a steering wheel. You're not gonna hold it any differently when you are concentrating on holding the steering wheel than you would if you were talking to someone in the car next to you.

Of course not, but if you say "look, I can hold the steering wheel in a way that the inside of the rim isn't touched, and therefore there should be buttons to push there, see?" And then you do it, of course you'll be able to if you consciously position your fingers that way.

And that's the problem. This thread didn't start out with "drop what you're doing and hold your phone in your hand, right now." It started out with "look at this bezel-less screen! We don't need bezels because I hold my phone like so, see?"

bushman4

macrumors 601
Mar 22, 2011
Edge to edge while desirable may not be practical for Apple as it most likely would require a total redesign and not be practical for Apple. New reinventions always create new problems.
Samsung is suppose to becoming out with a phone called 'Edge" which is supposed to be bezeless with virtual controls on the sides . Lets see how that works out as far as the problems they encounter. If the story is true.

DoctorKrabs

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2013
Because this looks great, and has symmetry.

Attachments

• Sicks.png
    Sicks.png
    391.5 KB · Views: 93

techspin

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2014
A couple of millimeters on the iPhone and there is no side bezel. Unless you grasp your phone the same way as your shakeweight, if you place part of your finger on the screen it does not affect usage at all. In "real world use", your fingers and hands do not cover the screen to the point where the phone reacts. In any case, you won't complain when the iPhone display is edge to edge. :cool:

jafingi

macrumors 65816
Apr 3, 2009
Denmark
Of course Apple can do it. They have some of the best engineers in the world.

It's a design decision.

keatth

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2013
the bezel on the side is just as important to apples design as the home button. We wont see a edge to edge display until the psychical home button is gone.

Nevaborn

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2013
I don't like that Sharp =/

The front would look good if smaller bottom bezel but from every other Angle it looks bulky and outdated.

That rear is is horrific, with that S5 imitation rear with the perforated dots for supposed grip. this is def a phone for a case.

DoctorKrabs

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2013
Good design shoud be as symmetrical as possible. You use more than just the display of a phone.

People who want edge to edge displays just don't get that.

Attachments

• Sym.png
    Sym.png
    143.6 KB · Views: 67

watchthisspace

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2010
Good design shoud be as symmetrical as possible. You use more than just the display of a phone.

I'd just like the vertical bezels for the next iPhone be significantly reduced. The horizontal bezels where the home and speaker/front facing camera live are good :)

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
Good design shoud be as symmetrical as possible ... People who want edge to edge displays just don't get that.

OR not all people support that "good design" requires "symmetry". There's a lot of lauded design in the world that lack symmetry. That's a subjective argument and even Apple can go that way in everything- take a look at their logo.

Last edited:

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012

Inside of my pocket doesn't care about symmetry when the top of a phone is needlessly poking out.

The pic proves that point. That's rated one of the best looking android phones ever made by reviewers and forum members here alike. It's obviously not symmetrical.

That pic makes the iPhone look so dated too.

DoctorKrabs

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2013
Inside of my pocket doesn't care about symmetry when the top of a phone is needlessly poking out.

The pic proves that point. That's rated one of the best looking android phones ever made by reviewers and forum members here alike. It's obviously not symmetrical.

That pic makes the iPhone look so dated too.

What ever happened to the iPhone being too small?
Now it's poking out of your pocket?

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
What ever happened to the iPhone being too small?

Now it's poking out of your pocket?

Did I specifically say the iPhone is poking out of my pocket or did you day that I said that?

I was referring to a needlessly oversized phone, ie form over function. Try to keep up.

DoctorKrabs

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2013
Did I specifically say the iPhone is poking out of my pocket or did you day that I said that?

I was referring to a needlessly oversized phone, ie form over function. Try to keep up.

Are you saying that the iPhone 5s is too tall? Are you arguing that you want a smaller device, but a larger screen?

I hope you're not wishing for a larger display if you're telling me it's "needlessly oversized"

And also, your pocket is of less concern to Apple than usability and consistency. There are people who are right handed or left handed, and the phone is capable of landscape in both directions. It needs to have the same grip both ways.
GESTURES006.jpg

Last edited:

bushman4

macrumors 601
Mar 22, 2011
No edge to edge as the bezels are necessary for the swipe features like Conttol Panel etc

2IS

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2011
Try holding your iPhone in your hand right now. I'm doing it as we speak. The bezel doesn't do anything in terms of accidentally tapping contact. In fact my hand doesn't even touch the bezel or cover it.

Try being busy and/or in a rush when you're not consciously making an effort not to touch the bezels.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.