Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Happybunny

macrumors 68000
Sep 9, 2010
The local beer shop just got these in, bought as try out.
IMG_0993_zps6e90caa9.jpg

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
For Belgian Ale lovers I would strongly recommend Trappistes Rochefort and Delirium Nocturnum. The former is a genuine trappist ale and the latter comes from a very small brewery in Huyghe... exceptional flavor for moderately high ABV beers (11.3% and 8.5% respectively)

For wine: Les Forts de Latour Pauillac

For sake: Hakkaisan or Kubota Manjyu

Sorry if this is brief without description.... I'm not really given to inventing a bunch of subjective descriptions with flavors nobody has ever heard of, so I'll leave it to you to search your favorite review sites for descriptions by people whose judgment resonates best with you.

I have had the 10 and 8 of Rochefort and love them both. I have not been able to find #6. Delirium is also one of my favorites.

Another one if you haven't tried it is St. Bernardus Abt 12......!

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
Unfortunately, i can't really handle beer anymore. That being said, when I could handle it, my favorite by far was this little gem from Michigan.

new-holland-dragons-milk-review.preview.jpg

Kurwenal

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2012
From dinner the other night.

14961091746_24c14637e5.jpg

A cult wine, but it lived up to the reputation. Big, tasty, bursting with flavor, but very smooth at the same time.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
My current “casual drinkers” over the last month or so have been:

Abita Turbo Dog
DFH 60 Minute IPA
Sweetwater 420

Nothing overly exotic, but all very decent in their respective styles, available at the local grocery, relatively inexpensive for an afternoon/dinner beer :)

Also picked up a fresh growler of a fantastic local brew: Mile Marker Palm Beach Coconut Porter (MM70). Outstanding. :cool:

mobilehaathi

macrumors G3
Aug 19, 2008
The Anthropocene
The last wine I had was Unti Cuvée Blanc 2012.

The last beer I had was the Rodenbach Grand Cru.

Love them both!

Attachments

• image_thumb[1].png
    image_thumb[1].png
    42.8 KB · Views: 332
  • 379462.jpg
    379462.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 185

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Some great beers on display here; I have sampled (and really liked) most of the Belgian delights which have been posted here.

Today, - as I am in London, and in keeping with local preferences, I tried "London Pride", a perfectly nice, quite tasty ale.

Happybunny

macrumors 68000
Sep 9, 2010
I have had the 10 and 8 of Rochefort and love them both. I have not been able to find #6. Delirium is also one of my favorites.

Another one if you haven't tried it is St. Bernardus Abt 12......!

IMG_0994_zps3622725a.jpg

A friend of mine just brought these along.:eek:

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
The wife scored this at the store today, Wilhelm Scream Pumpkin Ale from Magic Hat (it was new to us). Very solid, more to the spicy/pie flavor with lots of cinnamon and spice than a straight up pumpkin, nice malts with just a hint of sweetness.

We’re big fans of the fall seasonals, especially pumpkin :)

Another couple of excellent options:

Imperial Pumpkin Ale from Weyerbacher
Smashed Pumpkin from Shipyard's signature series

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 201

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Wine: Cabernet Sauvignon, Pinot noir, White/Pink Grenache.

Beer: Leinienkugel Red (any Red), Yuengling Traditional Lager, (most amber lagers), Hoegaarden Wheat Beer (any wheat), Shiner Bock (any bock), Fat Tire, 1554, Dos Equis, Lowembrau LowenWeisse, Sam Adams, Schell's Firebrick and Dark, and many more that currently elude me. Not listed in order of preference. :)

*One of the best beers I ever tasted was on a Milwaukee Pabst Brewery Tour, and I don't drink Pabst. The power of fresh beer? :)

*New Belgium Brewery seems to produce mostly fruity/ spicy beers like Fat Tire.

*Yuengling holds the title as the oldest US brewery 1829. Can't find it where I live (Texas). :( I believe it's East Coast or NE only.

*The most unusual beer I've had is a jalapeño beer (James Page?) it tasted ok, but not my cup of tea. :)

*I remember when I tasted Coors beer when it was not available on the East Coast and thought it was the best! Now, not so much.

*The best wheat beer I've had is a Lowembrau LowenWeisse Hefe-Weiss. Not imported to US as far as I know. Besides taste, it bubbled like champaign. :)

*I don't care for bitter stouts.

It is amazing what a number Prohibition did to beer in the US. It allowed the abomination called "Bud" to prevail. The key is does the beer still taste good when it's warm or does it remind you of horse piss? (Something hard to swallow) :p I grew up with Budweiser thinking beer was good for only one thing, getting drunk. It certainly did not taste good. Fortunately we are recovering nicely with micro breweries all over. And I no longer drink to get drunk.

Last edited:

palmerc2

macrumors 68000
Feb 29, 2008
Los Angeles
I'll have a beer every once in a while, but stick mainly to red wine and cocktails. Trying to maintain my figure.

I'm partial to Barbera, Nebbiolo, Pinot Noir, Shiraz, and recently Malbec.

Here's two of my favorite bottles right now.....

Luisi Barbera D'Asti

w1338352520478_2594003_15

Failla Pinot Noir

Failla-Pinot-Noir-2009.jpg

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Yep, it was quite delightful!

Glad you enjoyed it!

I'll have a beer every once in a while, but stick mainly to red wine and cocktails. Trying to maintain my figure.

I'm partial to Barbera, Nebbiolo, Pinot Noir, Shiraz, and recently Malbec.

Here's two of my favorite bottles right now.....

Luisi Barbera D'Asti

Failla Pinot Noir

The Barbera d'Asti is an excellent wine, but one which, in my experience, needs a long time to breath and grow and open out properly, as it can be quite sharp if drunk within a short time of opening the bottle.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
My current “casual drinkers” over the last month or so have been:

Abita Turbo Dog
DFH 60 Minute IPA
Sweetwater 420

So I’ve been on a bit of a Abita kick recently, the local grocery has been stocking quite a few selections: Turbo Dog like I mentioned above, Jockamo IPA, Purple Haze, the wife scored this the other day, new to us.

Nice roasted pecans aroma and flavor, with little caramel hints, very slight little hoppy finish. Really easy drinker with a delicious up front maltiness.

Attachments

• IMG_6182.JPG
    IMG_6182.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 196

mobilehaathi

macrumors G3
Aug 19, 2008
The Anthropocene
Hm. Tonight your lovely beer featured at dinner, as did a few bottles of 'Orval' beer, followed by a cheese board (of English cheeses, mostly some classics, and a few locally made but excellent cheeses) and some 10 year old tawny port….

Ooh, delightful, I do enjoy Orval as well, and followed by a cheese plate and some port? Well, that sounds perfectly lovely. Which port did you indulge in?

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Ooh, delightful, I do enjoy Orval as well, and followed by a cheese plate and some port? Well, that sounds perfectly lovely. Which port did you indulge in?

A ten year old tawny port, from the Niepoort company…….very tasty, and a rich ruby red in the (strangely small, but very elegant) port glasses we sipped from...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.