Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Arkados

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 10, 2010
The company I worked for recently purchased 2 Haswell iMacs thinking we would hire an intern for the summer. We ended up not needing one so I have a middle line 21.5in $1400 paper weight on my desk. Am I able to use that as an extra monitor through a thunderbolt cable?

Arkados

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 10, 2010
Why don't you just return it, if its new and no one has used it?

Its been 6 months or so. I tried hitting Command + F2 on my the screen I want to convert and nothing, made sure the option in System Preferences were selected. Anyone have any issues with this on Mavericks? Do they have to be at the same software version?

robgendreau

macrumors 68040
Jul 13, 2008
Should work. Make sure you've got correct cable ( might have to be thunderbolt to thunderbolt, but I can't recall. It varies depending on the machines at either end. Newer ones may not be able to use mini display port).

Make sure it's a really really Apple compatible keyboard and can do a real command F2 and you haven't got fn on.

Should work. I'm using a 2010 running the Yosemite beta as a monitor for a hackintosh running Mavericks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.