Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
I just happened to be in the right place at the right time today to grab this one(or I should say it was offered to me before it went to the garbage).

I also picked up a whole bunch of cables and other odds and ends from the same source, including the keyboard and mouse pictured here.

This one is running OS 7.5, and is loaded up with a bunch of really good software that I can actually still use...in particular it has a copy of Chemdraw, the current version of which is over $1000.

The original 2gb drive is close to full. I attempted to install a second 2gb drive I had on hand, but haven't yet been able to get the computer to recognize it. The main drive is set to ID 0 and the second drive is set to ID 1(and termination off), so I'm not really sure what's going on unless the drive is just dead(the CD drive works, so I don't think it's an ID conflict with this). My SCSI knowledge is close to zero, so it's also entirely possible that I'm doing something wrong.

Unfortunately also, my nice 15" Apple CRT decided to go kaput this afternoon and I'm stuck with the 12" for the time being. I need to order some DB-15 to VGA adapters so I don't have to keep tracking down Apple displays for older computers(I can get pretty much all the 15" LCDs I want for free). Until they arrive, I may use the S-Video or Composite ports to connect it to a TV.

Also, most of the references I see to upgrading the ram refer to using "60ns" or "70ns" 168pin DIMMS. I have tons of 168pin PC66 ram(which I think translates to being a fair bit faster than 60ns). What are the chances of this working correctly in this computer? From what I've read in the service manual and looking at the computer, installing ram looks to be fairly involved. So, with that in mind, I'd prefer to not "try it and see" as I usually would. Does anyone have any experience with this?

Attachments

• IMG_0965.jpg
    IMG_0965.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 187
  • IMG_0966.jpg
    IMG_0966.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 166

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
Never mind-I found the second disk. It was just "hidden" off the edge of the small screen!

Unfortunately, I'm going to have to reformat it in order for it to be useable in this computer, as it(apparently) was created with OS 8.1.

MacTech68

macrumors 68020
Mar 16, 2008
Australia, Perth
Nice score! :)

The PC66 RAM is different to the RAM the 8500 takes. It is FPM DIMMs.

Yes, getting RAM into one of these is a real pain. Then you have the added bonus of tarnished memory slots causing sudden, unexplained mouse pointer freezes.

As for the 15" display, if you've ever repaired CRT monitors before, there is a common fault with one model of 15" Multiscan. It's a 12 volt 7812 regulator that suddenly stars regulating at 11 volts. If you've no experience, then I'd advise against trying to repair it.

As for the second hard drive, you could try booting from it.

Hold down SHIFT-COMMAND-OPTION-DELETE when booting up from a cold start. If there is a suitable OS 8.1 or later system, it will attempt to boot from that alternate drive.

MacTech68

macrumors 68020
Mar 16, 2008
Australia, Perth
Ah very nice find! I am partial to the 8500 even with all of it's quirks (tough to upgrade, brittle plastics, etc.). I really like the way it looks and it was my first real computer. Someday I hope to find one local-- you are lucky.

As for the RAM, OWC sells 128MB sticks for $6, if you want the easy way out.

http://eshop.macsales.com/MyOWC/Upgrades.cfm?sort=pop&model=34&type=Memory

Looks like a good deal.

The plastics going brittle really is a shame. I remember the last one I worked on became a nightmare, and that was years ago.

I used to take the power supply and mother board out and make sure the RAM worked and that the RAM, CPU and video card connectivity were all OK before putting it all back into the case.

Last edited:

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
I booted from an OS 9 disk, and was able to read the second drive. It was blank, so I went ahead and reformatted it and it's now readable under 7.5.

I too noticed the brittle plastic just in my brief time poking around. It seems to a problem on most of the mid to late 90s beige Macs I've worked on.

I'll order the(correct) Ram and probably won't open it up again until I did into it to install that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.