Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

saberahul

macrumors 68040
Nov 6, 2008
USA
My new EDC

shallot_1840_2__510x200.jpg

Prof.

macrumors 603
Aug 17, 2007
Chicagoland
Went to visit the UIC campus today so I could find out where all my classes are. Came home with two t-shirts and a hoodie. :)

Attachments

• IMG_0386-1.JPG
    IMG_0386-1.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 79
  • IMG_0387-1.JPG
    IMG_0387-1.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 66

digglesworth

macrumors member
Feb 14, 2013
Me too. HTC One M8, not the case. As an iPhone user since the first iPhone I surprised even myself. I'm mostly testing VZW as AT&T service has gone downhill for us lately.

First impressions for me are not good, I think I need to give it some time. But so far I'm thinking I might return and wait for a larger iPhone. I do like the size:cool:.

I'm loving this phone. My only issue is my volume down button seems quite squishy. I might see if I can get it swapped tomorrow.

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
As I know nothing about gourmet salts, I'm guessing that this probably doesn't rate very high, but I do like the taste...and it looks nifty in my grinder!:p

(Not my photo...it is a bit brighter pink than pictured)

Pink%20Salt.png

DewGuy1999

macrumors 68040
Jan 25, 2009
Getting a right angle fuel shut-off valve and new fuel line for my Lawn-Boy mower to hopefully keep the carb from leaking fuel when it's not being used:

$_12.JPG

$T2eC16ZHJHUFFfDU(DHYBRY0F!1pv!~~60_12.JPG

SuperJudge

macrumors 6502
Apr 2, 2008
The Triangle, NC
Aw, don't just tease me and run off. Do tel. :p

As LadyX mentioned, there's Notifyer Unread Count, which is free and fairly highly rated.

Personally, I use TeslaUnread since my launcher of choice is Nova Prime.

The great thing is that you have choices. That's what's kept me on Android for the last 4 years or so. Choice!

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
As I know nothing about gourmet salts, I'm guessing that this probably doesn't rate very high, but I do like the taste...and it looks nifty in my grinder!:p

(Not my photo...it is a bit brighter pink than pictured)

Very nice! Actually, I have bought (and used) this stuff. It does look nifty, and it tastes excellent, in both cooking and with food.

However, I am not so sure that it is intended for use in a grinder - my recollection is that the 'humidity' of this salt might not make it be the very best product to put into a grinder. In fact, I was advised by the staff of the (gourmet) store who sold it to me not to use it in a grinder…..

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
Very nice! Actually, I have bought (and used) this stuff. It does look nifty, and it tastes excellent, in both cooking and with food.

However, I am not so sure that it is intended for use in a grinder - my recollection is that the 'humidity' of this salt might not make it be the very best product to put into a grinder. In fact, I was advised by the staff of the (gourmet) store who sold it to me not to use it in a grinder…..

If you notice, it is a very coarse salt that could not by eaten on food unground (OK for cooking as it will dissolve).

It is intended to be used in a salt mill. I have a combined salt and pepper grinder. I'm not sure why someone would tell you that very coarse salt shouldn't be used in a salt mill, as that is exactly what this is intended for. Salt mills, or grinders, have ceramic grinders because the corrosive qualities of salt would destroy a metal burr very quickly.

This is the grinder (or mill) that I use.

(Not my photo...and without the pink salt!)

Bodum%20Salt%3APepper%20Grinder.png

BTW: I was told that this is a very "dry" salt...and my experience is that it never clumps up in the grinder.

Last edited:

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
If you notice, it is a very coarse salt that could not by eaten on food unground (OK for cooking as it will dissolve).

It is intended to be used in a salt mill. I have a combined salt and pepper grinder. I'm not sure why someone would tell you that very coarse salt shouldn't be used in a salt mill, as that is exactly what this is intended for. Salt mills, or grinders, have ceramic grinders because the corrosive qualities of salt would destroy a metal burr very quickly.

This is the grinder (or mill) that I use.

(Not my photo...and without the pink salt!)

BTW: I was told that this is a very "dry" salt...and my experience is that it never clumps up in the grinder.

Ah, yes. Fair enough.

Now that you mention it, a ceramic salt mill is another purchase I have in mind while in the ancient (and vibrant) city of London……for some strange, and inexplicable reason (inertia? lack of demand? laziness? complacency?) my country seems to lack a selection of high quality ceramic salt mills/grinders, whereas metal (and yes, I do know where you are coming from) and plastic (ugh) ones are readily available…..

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I just kind of assume, that if someone buys something, its because they like it. Save for items that are obviously needed of course.

Exactly.

It is a wonderful thing to be able to pay homage to something nice - by the act of buying it, using it, honouring it, enjoying it….

Besides, the daily use of well made, elegant products enhances ones appreciation of the good things that life can offer, and engenders a respect for these values and for the people who create and craft these things, too..

I buy things that other people like so I can make them jealous.

Seriously? For what? For why?

What a terrible, and tragic waste. A waste of time (yours), money (yours also), and indeed, emotion (yes, again yours).

Are you seriously suggesting that your sole enjoyment of beautiful things can only come from engendering a feeling of inadequacy in others when they lack the means or motivation to acquire them? What an awful pity if you cannot feel the generosity of spirit to enjoy it yourself, let alone share your pleasure with others…..

Sometimes, I know, you buy things for other people to make them happy.

Oh, yes. A very fervent amen to that. It is a great feeling when you get that right - I find that the giving of an appropriate - and well chosen gift - for an individual you care for is a real pleasure.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Exactly.

It is a wonderful thing to be able to pay homage to something nice - by the act of buying it, using it, honouring it, enjoying it….

Besides, the daily use of well made, elegant products enhances ones appreciation of the good things that life can offer, and engenders a respect for these values and for the people who create and craft these things, too..

Seriously? For what? For why?

What a terrible, and tragic waste. A waste of time (yours), money (yours also), and indeed, emotion (yes, again yours).

Are you seriously suggesting that your sole enjoyment of beautiful things can only come from engendering a feeling of inadequacy in others when they lack the means or motivation to acquire them? What an awful pity if you cannot feel the generosity of spirit to enjoy it yourself, let alone share your pleasure with others…..

Oh, yes. A very fervent amen to that. It is a great feeling when you get that right - I find that the giving of an appropriate - and well chosen gift - for an individual you care for is a real pleasure.

=w= is just being silly. She isn't like that at all; trust me! :)

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
=w= is just being silly. She isn't like that at all; trust me! :)

Fair enough; I stand corrected.

Sigh; without irony buttons and smilies (and my head is too clogged to decipher the subtly ironic from the genuinely cretinous), one can all too easily miss the irony.

Unfortunately, this is because far too many posts lack both balance and irony and are just straightforward expressions of imbecilic frothing prejudice, as I have seen on occasion, here…..

=w=

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2012
Sometimes, I know, you buy things for other people to make them happy.

Dangit! No one is supposed to know that!

Last purchase(s) to keep on track with the thread:

2 pair of Sock Guy socks
Unicorn.jpg
ducky.jpg

This Celestial Kerchief by Swift Industries
10962916814_e7793a896a.jpg

Purchased The Ripper gun DLC from COD Ghosts for Xbox One. Disappointed. I don't usually buy that kind of stuff, but I bought a $25 Xbox cash card, so I could get Titanfall when it was $25, but I missed it. So now I just have $25 sitting in my account and keep buying dumb things. Like this skin for my guns in COD too.
13578981505_eab3c3efd8.jpg

banner-18.png

----------

Fair enough; I stand corrected.

Sigh; without irony buttons and smilies (and my head is too clogged to decipher the subtly ironic from the genuinely cretinous), one can all too easily miss the irony.

Unfortunately, this is because far too many posts lack both balance and irony and are just straightforward expressions of imbecilic frothing prejudice, as I have seen on occasion, here…..

Haha, sorry! That post was really just meant for SBG and I knew that he would know I was joking without any textual indicators simply because he knows i'm not that type of person.

Also, people say that it's hard to tell when i'm joking in person sometimes too, because I guess I get really into it and don't laugh or smile or even smirk or sound like i'm kidding. Until after the person believes me.. ha. So it's not surprising it was hard to get via text on an internet forum.

I've never done something like that before. And you're right, it would be terrible.

If I knew someone wanted something badly enough that they'd be jealous if I bought it, i'd probably buy it for them if they couldn't do it themselves (within reason).

I know I don't post often enough for you to get my personality, but if you ever happen to see me say something not nice, i'm most likely not serious.

Tsuchiya

macrumors 68020
Jun 7, 2008
I'm not usually one to pick up movies on release as they tend to be on the expensive side, but I've been waiting to see this for some time. When it was out in theatres I was in the middle of my summer examinations and couldn't make the time.

Godzilla and Xmen are next :D

Attachments

• 91QzfP49YWL._SL1500_.jpg
    91QzfP49YWL._SL1500_.jpg
    353.4 KB · Views: 89
Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.