Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Walmart will begin offering the 16 GB iPhone 5c for $0.97 with a two-year contract during the next 90 days, reports Engadget.
iphone_5s_5c.jpg
The move by the retailer follows a permanent discount of the 16GB iPhone 5c to $29 in June, as Walmart will offer the special pricing to customers on AT&T, Sprint, Verizon, and US Cellular. The company is also dropping the on-contract price of the 16GB iPhone 5s to $79, down from $99.

It is likely that these new price drops are being done to get rid of existing inventory before the introduction of the iPhone 6, which will be unveiled on September 9 and likely go on sale about a week later. The 4.7-inch iPhone 6 is expected to be launched first, as the release of the 5.5-inch version may be delayed due to production issues. Both versions are likely to incorporate a faster A8 chip, a new camera system, an improved Touch ID fingerprint sensor, and iOS 8.

Article Link: Walmart Dropping Price of iPhone 5c to $0.97, iPhone 5s to $79 for 90-Day Period

alchemistmuffin

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2007
Deal sounds good right......

DO NOT BUY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! NEW iPhones, iPad and iPods (aka iWatch) SOON!!!!!!!!!!

japanime

macrumors 68030
Feb 27, 2006
Japan
Not everyone needs (or even wants) the latest, greatest model. These are some nice deals, and will remain so even after the iPhone 6 is launched.

cdmoore74

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2010
Not everyone needs (or even wants) the latest, greatest model. These are some nice deals, and will remain so even after the iPhone 6 is launched.

I got my wife the iphone 5 on launch day and it was the best move at the time. That phone will last another 2 year (barring any mishaps) and I don't even remember paying the $200 back then. I would say that paying the extra $120 could mean another year of ownership plus you have the latest and greatest.
It's funny because we pay almost $1900 on a 2 year contract yet we complain about $120 in savings upfront for a old phone.

twigman08

macrumors 6502
Apr 13, 2012
This is a great deal for people like my parents who don't want or even need the latest and greatest phone. With them currently on a 4S, with that even being more than they need and it still running like it is brand new, upgrading to a 5S would be a huge upgrade to them and last them for another couple years with ease.

ValSalva

macrumors 68040
Jun 26, 2009
Burpelson AFB
I wonder where Walmart got 97¢ from? Kind of arbitrary :rolleyes:

Could never understand the trying to save so little on an iPhone that is attached to a two year contract. Five percent over the life of the contract just doesn't seem worth skimping on if the 5s is more 'future-proof'. I guess we all have our priorities though.

TypeMRT

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2007
This is a great deal for people like my parents who don't want or even need the latest and greatest phone. With them currently on a 4S, with that even being more than they need and it still running like it is brand new, upgrading to a 5S would be a huge upgrade to them and last them for another couple years with ease.

Exactly. My mother-in-law has a 4S (her first smartphone) still going strong. The 5S is a great deal and should last through iOS 10 but she likes the plastic shell of the 5C. Either way I hate having my AT&T full discount upgrades sit unused for too long so I'll probably get on this deal.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
For those who are determined to stick to the 4" display, these deals are great.

I fully expect this pricing to remain when the iPhone 6 comes out - and I also expect to see a good bump in sales of these models because of it.

I can see plenty of companies jumping on the 5C at Free/$449 and 5S at $99/$549 for their employees.

I'm telling you....Apple is going to sell more iPhones than anyone else sells of all their smartphones next quarter. Just watch.

Gigaman

macrumors regular
Aug 19, 2011
For once, I'm not looking forward to the latest iPhones. I'll gladly pick up one of these if apple does go thru with the Dino sizes.

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place
Most Americans don't have the first clue how much a phone actually costs or how much they are being over charged on contracts.

Here's the thing. You completely overlooked what I said. Forum members tend to be more technically savvy than the average citizen. I'm going to go out on a limb and say most forum members know exactly the actual cost of their phone on contract with subsidy vs outright purchase + a service contract.

Most Americans aren't posting in MacRumors so you're probably right about that, but your answer above was to a question that was never asked.

dilbert99

macrumors 68020
Jul 23, 2012
$0.97, I think I'll come over there and buy a truck load and then come back here and sell them for $900+ each :)

(What do you mean they don't actually sell for that price, theres a catch - subsidised. Ah, you mean Wallmart is dropping the subsidised price of the iPhone, now i get it :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.