Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has seemingly halted in-store pickup for the Apple TV in its online store, as none of the company's U.S. locations are providing the option. Notably, the Apple TV is still listed as shipping"within 24 hours" on the company's online store, and is still being offered with a $25 iTunes Store gift card as a part of an ongoing promotion.

apple_tv_no_pickup-800x474.jpg
Currently, it is unknown as to why Apple halted the pickup option for the Apple TV. It is entirely possible that the inability to schedule an Apple TV for in-store pickup is an outage or error on Apple's part. While mostly unlikely, it may also indicate that Apple is gearing up to release an updated Apple TV, which has been heavily rumored for quite some time.

Czech website Letem Svetem Applem (Google Translate) claimed last week that European Apple resellers have stopped receiving their supply of Apple TVs, however no other sources have indicated that stock has been running low. In the United States, retailers such as Best Buy and Amazon still show the product as "in stock".

Previous rumors have suggested that the next-generation Apple TV would be a major product for Apple, featuring set-top box features that interact with live and on-demand content, gaming capabilities, Siri integration, and more. However, a report from The Information this past July claimed that the new Apple TV would be delayed until 2015 due to negotiation difficulities between Apple and cable companies. Apple's SVP of Internet Software and Services Eddy Cue stated earlier this year that it was "complicated" solving problems with TV, adding that Apple is continuing work on the subject.

Thanks, Kyle!

Article Link: Apple Halts In-Store Pickup Option for Apple TV in Online Store, Still Available for Shipping

Frazzle

macrumors regular
Mar 1, 2007
I don't care about an Apple TV update; interactivity while watching movies or television is highly overrated IMO.

I'd be happy if they would finally enable the little thing to output 24fps video. All the movie content on the iTunes store is properly encoded at 24fps, yet Apple's main device for movie playback is unable to play it back smoothly?! Weird.

Seems like a minor software upgrade would fix it, but hey, this is Apple. And the masses probably don't care about 3:2 pulldown and all that, given that many people like the 'soap video look' that the frame interpolation schemes in their televisions create. Sigh.

bommai

macrumors 6502a
May 23, 2003
Melbourne, FL
I sold my AppleTV 2 for a hefty profit on eBay several months ago in anticipation of Apple TV 4 and still nothing. My wife needs one ASAP for showing our kids some educational videos that are in our iTunes library in the mac upstairs. She wants to show them downstairs where the tv is. We used to use the appletv2. Now we have a chromecast and it is definitely not user friendly to do the same thing.

Pakaku

macrumors 68040
Aug 29, 2009
I sold my AppleTV 2 for a hefty profit on eBay several months ago in anticipation of Apple TV 4 and still nothing. My wife needs one ASAP for showing our kids some educational videos that are in our iTunes library in the mac upstairs. She wants to show them downstairs where the tv is. We used to use the appletv2. Now we have a chromecast and it is definitely not user friendly to do the same thing.

If it really is so important, bite the bullet and get what's out right now.

Aluminum213

macrumors 68040
Mar 16, 2012
Apple doesn't care about Apple TV. Same old UI for years, no new version for years

Tuckrat

macrumors member
Dec 14, 2008
New Hampshire, USA
It's been like this since they started the gift card offer. I've been on the fence with this offer, as this would be my first Atv. Looks like they are trying to unload inventory, so I'm hesitant to buy now to avoid buyer's remorse in a month if/when the new model is announced. But then, what if they jack up the price of the new model? Decisions, decisions...

ABCDEF-Hex

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2013
NC
They do -

Hopefully they'll be releasing a version that can stay connected to a WiFi network for more than 20 minutes!

Make an effort to find out what you are doing wrong and ask for help before
you blame Apple and assume everyone else is having a problem.

xp0z3d

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2012
I don`t care if they update UI, if they add video game ability to it. But I would love if they could open ATV to developers for Apps. Would love if I could get a native Plex app.
If they want to do Setup box then it would be best if its a la carte option of channels.

DEXTERITY

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2004
They need to update the interface. It is a mess, unorganized and nothing is in alphabetical order.

As many stated before - a five year old could do a better design.

brendu

Cancelled
Apr 23, 2009
I don`t care if they update UI, if they add video game ability to it. But I would love if they could open ATV to developers for Apps. Would love if I could get a native Plex app.
If they want to do Setup box then it would be best if its a la carte option of channels.

I have had the thought that apple might continue delaying the Apple TV because they have been in talks with certain networks to get them al la cart but have to wait for the networks current contracts with carriers to end.

newyorksole

macrumors 603
Apr 2, 2008
New York.
I don't care about an Apple TV update; interactivity while watching movies or television is highly overrated IMO.

I'd be happy if they would finally enable the little thing to output 24fps video. All the movie content on the iTunes store is properly encoded at 24fps, yet Apple's main device for movie playback is unable to play it back smoothly?! Weird.

Seems like a minor software upgrade would fix it, but hey, this is Apple. And the masses probably don't care about 3:2 pulldown and all that, given that many people like the 'soap video look' that the frame interpolation schemes in their televisions create. Sigh.

I KNEW something was up ! When I played with the Apple TV at the Apple Store I was like "why do the videos seem to be sped up/choppy" it did not seem smooth at all . Are those things you listed the reasons ?

wlossw

macrumors 65816
May 9, 2012
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
They need to update the interface. It is a mess, unorganized and nothing is in alphabetical order.

As many stated before - a five year old could do a better design.

You do know you can arrange and hide icons as you please... Just long hold select to rearrange... And use family filters to hide the stuff you don't need...

zedsdead

macrumors 68040
Jun 20, 2007
I am pretty confident given the recent rumors and eddys recent comments about the Apple TV that no new hardware is coming this year. Apple is delaying any hardware until their content deals are in place.

Stupid that they don't releases an App Store already for it. Absolutely rediculous.

terryblyth

macrumors regular
Jan 19, 2008
Walton-on-Thames, UK
Make an effort to find out what you are doing wrong and ask for help before
you blame Apple and assume everyone else is having a problem.

So many assumptions here ironically!

I've made an effort as in I've talked to Apple on the phone, and had two exchanges.

I haven't assumed everyone is having the same problem; I'm well aware they don't otherwise there'd be a massive recall.

The bottom line is everything in my house works flawlessly with WiFi, apart from my ATV.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
This is clearly an indication of ..... absolutely nothing.

I wouldn't hold my breath for any new Apple TV - and if there are - it's not going to be anything groundbreaking this year.

Further - Apple already has a pretty great product in the Apple TV. The issue is that the UI needs an overhaul and they need to open up the platform with an app store - even if it's just for media companies to submit their apps. A huge missed opportunity and why Roku

Roku beats Apple TV -- again -- on usage, purchases

http://www.cnet.com/news/roku-beats-apple-tv-again-on-usage-and-purchases

2010mini

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2013

I've made an effort as in I've talked to Apple on the phone, and had two exchanges.

I haven't assumed everyone is having the same problem; I'm well aware they don't otherwise there'd be a massive recall.

The bottom line is everything in my house works flawlessly with WiFi, apart from my ATV.

I have never had an issue with my apple tv on wifi. what router are you using? have you tried giving it a static IP address?

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
I have never had an issue with my apple tv on wifi. what router are you using? have you tried giving it a static IP address?

I've had plenty of (apple non-fixable) wifi issues with both my AppleTV 2s. They especially like to lock up my wifi so any other device can connect - but can't send/receive data until I reboot my router. Which is why I now leave them unplugged unless I am going to use them. I also have 2 chromecasts and one Roku 3 - none of those cause connection issues.

I've worked with customer service at Apple, my cable company and the maker of my router - so there ya go.

WvB22

macrumors member
Apr 19, 2010
If this is true at all I'm guessing that they will do a minor bump in specs and not even really mentioning it. Probably a new low cost A6, maybe A7 chip but something that will benefit the AppleTV in the long run. Just a side note for an upcoming event. They will not launch anything spectacular until the deals are closed with the content providers. Which proves to be really difficult. My guess is that they can revamp the software for the AppleTV when the deals are closed. A spec bump now makes the new AppleTV's ready for Apple's future roadmap.

Ralf The Dog

macrumors regular
May 1, 2008
I've had plenty of (apple non-fixable) wifi issues with both my AppleTV 2s. They especially like to lock up my wifi so any other device can connect - but can't send/receive data until I reboot my router. Which is why I now leave them unplugged unless I am going to use them. I also have 2 chromecasts and one Roku 3 - none of those cause connection issues.

I've worked with customer service at Apple, my cable company and the maker of my router - so there ya go.

What kind of router do you have? How far is your router from your Apple TV? How many walls are between them? Is the Apple TV the farthest device from your router?

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005

I don't think that word means what you think it means. :D

It is a fair assumption to make when you ask for an ATV that will stay connected to wifi for more than 20 minutes. That suggests that there is a massive need for another version of an ATV and that the problem doesn't lie within your own network.

That being said, there has to be something causing this and yes, it is definitely your network. Have you thought to maybe unwind everything and start connecting things to your router one by one starting with the ATV? See if the ATV stays connected while everything else is off. Not sure what that will do for you except perhaps show that the ATV isn't faulty

BTW, the best thing I could have ever done for any wifi devices downstairs was buy an airport express and use it in bridge mode. My house is not even large enough in theory to warrant that and the setup with really a large box, but it worked better for me. Something to consider.

Art0fLife

macrumors member
May 31, 2014
Hopefully they'll be releasing a version that can stay connected to a WiFi network for more than 20 minutes!

Would be nice wouldn't it? I don't know why people are pretending it's not an issue in this thread. All of our computers are Macs (New Mac Pro, year old MBP, iMac that's about 4 years old) and not a one of them can reliably stream anything to the Apple TV. Neither can either of our iPhone 5s', or our iPad. It drops at least 5 times over the course of a 2 hour film. Streaming from Netflix is no better. At least 4-5 times in the course of one movie. It's like clockwork, you can literally guarantee it will do it and about a 5 minute range of time where it will happen. Wifi is Apple Airport Extreme, no other router. Just cable modem, and Airport. In a one floor fairly small house with absolutely no Wifi coverage issue. While everyone may not experience this issue, many (a huge number) of people do, it's a real problem. And it's frustrating that you can spend 2 and a half hours on the phone with Apple about it and in the end they just basically say "Dunno! That's just the damnedest thing".

Love Apple products obviously, but I hope this issue is remedied with the new Apple TV, or an update someday.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
What kind of router do you have? How far is your router from your Apple TV? How many walls are between them? Is the Apple TV the farthest device from your router?

I have used both a belkin and linksys routers. The router is MAYBE 30-40 feet from one Apple TV (and no walls between) and MAYBE 50-60 feet from the other Apple TV with one wall between them. FYI - both Apple TV's show FULL strength when connected. I don't really suffer from a drop out. My issue is that they lock up the bandwidth. FYI - the Roku and 2 chromecasts are the same distance.

Believe me - I have spend hours working with the router/etc to get a solution - the solution is now to leave them unplugged and after I use them, refresh my router. I'm "ok" with that - it's just clearly not the way it should work :)

Ralf The Dog

macrumors regular
May 1, 2008
I have used both a belkin and linksys routers. The router is MAYBE 30-40 feet from one Apple TV (and no walls between) and MAYBE 50-60 feet from the other Apple TV with one wall between them. FYI - both Apple TV's show FULL strength when connected. I don't really suffer from a drop out. My issue is that they lock up the bandwidth. FYI - the Roku and 2 chromecasts are the same distance.

Believe me - I have spend hours working with the router/etc to get a solution - the solution is now to leave them unplugged and after I use them, refresh my router. I'm "ok" with that - it's just clearly not the way it should work :)

My first thought would be an IP collision. My second thought would be something outside your network is messing with you. I am assuming you are running WPA2 and you have changed your SSID and password.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.