Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Draj

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 15, 2014
My iPad mini won't let me do anything, as there is a pop up window asking for my iCloud password. I have even reset my password with my Mac. It won't accept any password. The window just keeps popping back up. Any ideas?

asriznet

macrumors regular
Dec 21, 2013
Singapore
My iPad mini won't let me do anything, as there is a pop up window asking for my iCloud password. I have even reset my password with my Mac. It won't accept any password. The window just keeps popping back up. Any ideas?

Can you login to https://appleid.apple.com/signin using the same apple id and password? if not, you need to fix that first.

what do you mean it won't let you do anything? what happens if you cancel the prompt?

If you can go to Settings -> iCloud, scroll down to the bottom and delete account. once removed, sign in again to icloud with your Apple ID & password

Draj

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 15, 2014
I have successfully changed the iCloud password on my MacBook Air, and then successfully used new password on iPhone 5s.

The prompt window does not have a "cancel" option. When I say it won't let me do anything else, I mean the prompt window just pops up over and over, literally dozens of times. I can't click into any other app or window.

Aj

asriznet

macrumors regular
Dec 21, 2013
Singapore
I have successfully changed the iCloud password on my MacBook Air, and then successfully used new password on iPhone 5s.

The prompt window does not have a "cancel" option. When I say it won't let me do anything else, I mean the prompt window just pops up over and over, literally dozens of times. I can't click into any other app or window.

Aj

If you can go to Settings -> iCloud, scroll down to the bottom and delete account. once removed, sign in again to icloud with your Apple ID & password

If the prompt is for itunes store, you may need to do that for iTunes Store settings instead.

Draj

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 15, 2014
Thanks for your replies.

But.... It's a pop up window that appears as soon as I turn on the iPad. It asks for my iCloud password. If I hit cancel, it just pops back up. It will not accept my password. It will not allow me to click on the Settings icon, or any other icon. It will literally pop up 100 times, or until my finger wears out.

Aj

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Thanks for your replies.

But.... It's a pop up window that appears as soon as I turn on the iPad. It asks for my iCloud password. If I hit cancel, it just pops back up. It will not accept my password. It will not allow me to click on the Settings icon, or any other icon. It will literally pop up 100 times, or until my finger wears out.

Aj

Have you tried to restore the iPad by connecting it to your computer?

Oh, before trying to restore, have you tried turning it off, then back on? To turn it off, hold both home and power buttons down until the iPad shuts off.

TWO2SEVEN

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2010
Plano, TX
Thanks for your replies.

Aj

Did you recently acquire this iPad? If so, did you buy it used?

Draj

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 15, 2014
I bought this iPad new 4 months ago, and have been using it without problems until this week.

I have turned it completely off and back on several times, even leaving it off overnight.

I did change my password on my MacBook Air as stated earlier, and was able to use the new password on my iPhone.

I have not as yet reset it by plugging it into my computer, hoping for another solution. I don't want to lose the data. I may have no choice.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

----------

And it's not the activation lock. That's working fine.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Can you tell us exactly what the popup says?

As for losing data, you don't have iCloud backup turned on? How about iTunes bsckup? What kind of data is it that you want to preserve?

Oh, and since you bought it new four months ago, the iPad is still under warranty. Is there an Apple store close to you? If not, have you tried calling Apple Care?

asriznet

macrumors regular
Dec 21, 2013
Singapore
There was a time that I had to sign in to apple id on my ipad more than once but it stopped after a few times and function as per normal.

I'm curious, what happens when you connect your iPad to your computer and launch iTunes. Does iTunes allow you to sync with the ipad? if yes, you probably want to do a final backup while you still can.

If you go to http://www.icloud.com -> Find my iphone, are you able to see your iPad in the list of devices?

Draj

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 15, 2014
When I connect to the MacBook Air, it asks me to set up my iPad as new. Mainly it's my photos I'm saving, as I bought this iPad as a backup for a photography trip. I still have the images on SD cards.

The exact wording of the pop up window is:

Sign In to iCloud
Enter the Apple ID password for
"my account@mac.com"

cancel button.... OK

My husband will take it to the Genius bar (5 hours away!) on Monday.

Thanks for all the responses

Aj

----------

iPhoto will download my photos, so no big disaster. I was just hoping for a solution that didn't mean starting over.

asriznet

macrumors regular
Dec 21, 2013
Singapore
When I connect to the MacBook Air, it asks me to set up my iPad as new. Mainly it's my photos I'm saving, as I bought this iPad as a backup for a photography trip. I still have the images on SD cards.

The exact wording of the pop up window is:

Sign In to iCloud
Enter the Apple ID password for
"my account@mac.com"

cancel button.... OK

My husband will take it to the Genius bar (5 hours away!) on Monday.

Thanks for all the responses

Aj

----------

iPhoto will download my photos, so no big disaster. I was just hoping for a solution that didn't mean starting over.

That means it's the first time you are connecting the ipad to your computer. Going through the setup shouldn't erase the data on the ipad. Instead of going to the  retail store, drop a call to ApplCare and they can guide you along how to backup ur ipad and fix that prompt issue.

GizmoWizard

macrumors newbie
Aug 21, 2014
I'm wondering if you have changed the email address for your Apple ID recently.

If you have I think I know how to get this resolved for you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.