Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

New photos shared by French Apple news website iPhonote (Google Translate) claim to show a number of components for the upcoming iPad Air 2, including the device's GPS antenna, microphone, and Wi-Fi module. While previous leaks have shown off the device's front panel and rear shell, these images could be the first look at the various internal components in the iPad Air 2.

ipad_air_2_flex_components-800x368.jpg
Purported iPad Air 2 GPS antenna, microphone, and WiFi module​

The website also posted a variety of comparison images between each component for the iPad Air 2 and its corresponding part on the current iPad Air. While no major changes can be immediately spotted from any of the comparisons, it does appear that the next-generation iPad Air's GPS antenna is longer than its predecessor. Also shown are pictures of the iPhone 6's front panel, which appear similar to prior leaks of the component.

Apple is expected to announce the iPad Air 2 alongside the next-generation Retina iPad mini at an event this fall. A report from Re/code claimed that Apple would be unveiling the iWatch at an October event, which may also include the introduction of both new iPads. The iPad Air 2 may feature a thinner design thanks to an integrated display, anti-reflective coating, a Touch ID fingerprint sensor, a faster A8 processor, and 2 GB of RAM.

Article Link: New Photos Claim to Show Various Internal Parts from iPad Air 2

DarrenG

macrumors regular
Mar 3, 2008
England
FWIW, the left hand pic is the WiFi antenna, the right hand is the GSM Cellular and GPS antenna assembly.

MythicFrost

macrumors 68040
Mar 11, 2009
Australia
Yes! I'd rather see a photo of a logic board with 2GB of RAM :cool:
Haha, I wouldn't mind some "findings" from iOS 8 beta about the RAM (and GPU) as well... though I can't imagine Apple wouldn't go with 2GB considering how lacklustre 1GB is after the move to 64-bit.

ValSalva

macrumors 68040
Jun 26, 2009
Burpelson AFB
Haha, I wouldn't mind some "findings" from iOS 8 beta about the RAM (and GPU) as well... though I can't imagine Apple wouldn't go with 2GB considering how lacklustre 1GB is after the move to 64-bit.

Yes, maybe we'll see some string buried in iOS 8 about how much RAM is available.

Even at 32-bit Apple could have easily gone to 2GB of RAM. The iPad Air should have had 2GB. So it's a year too late IMHO. No 2GB now would be highly disappointing.

selfsilent

macrumors regular
Apr 9, 2014
OMG :eek:

Flexible cables must mean a flexible iPad! I don't know if that's going to be good or not.
It'll be less likely to get damaged but won't it just flop about when you try to use it? I'm sure Apple have thought about it and come up with something. It'll either be the most amazing thing ever or a terrible idea. It'll take years for Samsung to copy.

I'm joking of course.

SpiderDude

macrumors regular
Jan 29, 2008
Portugal, Europe
Whaat?

OMG :eek:

Flexible cables must mean a flexible iPad! I don't know if that's going to be good or not.
It'll be less likely to get damaged but won't it just flop about when you try to use it? I'm sure Apple have thought about it and come up with something. It'll either be the most amazing thing ever or a terrible idea. It'll take years for Samsung to copy.

I'm joking of course.

What the hell?! Such an elaborated trolling attempt, whyy?

Nevermind. Successful troll was successful. lol

Last edited:

MacSince1990

macrumors 65816
Oct 6, 2009
It better have 2GB of RAM :mad:

(Though I'd prefer 3GB...!)

You do realize 3 GB of RAM isn't possible, right? These things increase on a binary scale (64 MB, 128 MB, 256, 512, 1 GB, 2 GB, 4 GB...) and unless you add a 1 GB chip to a 2 GB chip (not going to happen, they've always used a single chip), 3 GB isn't possible.

You really never noticed every RAM DIMM increment is in powers of 2? :confused:

robjulo

Suspended
Jul 16, 2010
Calling 3GB "impossible" is a bit of a leap. It is possible, it is a design choice of one DIMM. Other manufacturers have opted to not restrict themselves in that way and offer 3GB.

You do realize 3 GB of RAM isn't possible, right? These things increase on a binary scale (64 MB, 128 MB, 256, 512, 1 GB, 2 GB, 4 GB...) and unless you add a 1 GB chip to a 2 GB chip (not going to happen, they've always used a single chip), 3 GB isn't possible.

TWSS37

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2011
This changes everything! AGAIN!

----------

While I understand your point, saying 3GB "isn't possible" isn't true. Sure, if Apple only uses one RAM slot, this is correct, but other manufacturers use multiple slots in which odd numbers can and do exist.

yaxomoxay

macrumors 604
Mar 3, 2010
Texas

As long as you can cram 1 byte in there, you should be fine with any amount.

TallManNY

macrumors 601
Nov 5, 2007
I think I'm getting the iPad Air 2. The Mini is great and very portable. But when at home, the full sized iPad is the better choice. GF has taken over the iPad 3, so I don't have my account on it anymore.

Also this machine is probably going to be very powerful. It should be quite snappy!

F apple FE

macrumors newbie
Dec 22, 2013
Italy
You do realize 3 GB of RAM isn't possible, right?

My Note 3 (3GB of RAM) and my Tab S 10.5 LTE (3GB of RAM) beg to disagree...

On both of them *I can actually multitask* (not to talk about the fact that Android has REAL multitasking and Samsung devices have MultiWindow capabilities...) and I can happily *keep open multiple tabs* in the browsers I use without the slightest problem and without the constant reloading and without losing zoom, position in the page and inputted data like on Apple devices.

1GB of RAM should be a deal breaker for anyone but very light users and gamers...

atlatnesiti

Suspended
Sep 4, 2008
Sydney, Australia
My Note 3 (3GB of RAM) and my Tab S 10.5 LTE (3GB of RAM) beg to disagree...

On both of them *I can actually multitask* (not to talk about the fact that Android has REAL multitasking and Samsung devices have MultiWindow capabilities...) and I can happily *keep open multiple tabs* in the browsers I use without the slightest problem and without the constant reloading and without losing zoom, position in the page and inputted data like on Apple devices.

1GB of RAM should be a deal breaker for anyone but very light users and gamers...

Samsung bloat ware + Android crap OS needs more than 2 GB just to boot up ;)

MythicFrost

macrumors 68040
Mar 11, 2009
Australia
Yes, maybe we'll see some string buried in iOS 8 about how much RAM is available.

Even at 32-bit Apple could have easily gone to 2GB of RAM. The iPad Air should have had 2GB. So it's a year too late IMHO. No 2GB now would be highly disappointing.
I agree. It'll be a little disappointing for me too, but it'll be enough RAM for a little while. I just hope they make the jump to 3GB the year after.
I don't care how many jiggabytes of ZAM it has, it just has to run very smoothly.
Well yeah, but in a way we're talking about the "level" of smoothness, or more accurately, the level of how-long-can-i-go-without-tabs-refreshing.
Looks more like 4gb to me, than again it could be 1gb or 1 terra ;)
Not long to go now, it will be all reviewed in September;)
Mhmm.. looking forward to it.

Well if I thought back about it then yeah, I'd remember, but technically 3GB is possible if they use two chips as you said. I don't care how they do it, but more than 2GB would be preferable.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.