Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kirbyrun

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 26, 2009
After literally years of no problems -- and with no recent updates or changes to my system -- I suddenly cannot send attachments via iCloud email through a 3rd party client. I tried with two different clients and in both cases, the emails failed to send. When I use Mail.app, the emails go through.

In the 3rd party clients, I would simply get an error message saying "IMAP Protocol Error: timeout surpassed."

(The two clients I tried are Airmail and Gyazmail.)

Any thoughts?

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
Apple recently beefed up the security protocols and encryption for iCloud mail. Could be related.

impaler

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2006
USA
Apple recently beefed up the security protocols and encryption for iCloud mail. Could be related.

Don't think that's related. The protocols for connecting to the SMTP servers haven't changed on Apple's support document side, so it's got to be something else.

kirbyrun

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 26, 2009
Thanks for the input. I've emailed one of the client developers and he's looking into it, so hopefully I'll have some kind of an answer.

MagicHAM

macrumors 6502
Sep 2, 2013
Australia
Didn't it work with Outlook 2013 on Windows machines? I have a dual boot on my Mac Mini with Lion with Windows 7 and it works fine :)

impaler

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2006
USA
After literally years of no problems -- and with no recent updates or changes to my system -- I suddenly cannot send attachments via iCloud email through a 3rd party client. I tried with two different clients and in both cases, the emails failed to send. When I use Mail.app, the emails go through.

In the 3rd party clients, I would simply get an error message saying "IMAP Protocol Error: timeout surpassed."

(The two clients I tried are Airmail and Gyazmail.)

Any thoughts?

Any IMAP client should work with iCloud mail without issue. Bear in mind, too, there could have been a server-side issue, minor outage, etc., that affected the set up. So long as you follow the below support article and its settings, it should work. Also may try flipping the SSL/TLS settings and ports.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4864

kirbyrun

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 26, 2009
Any IMAP client should work with iCloud mail without issue. Bear in mind, too, there could have been a server-side issue, minor outage, etc., that affected the set up. So long as you follow the below support article and its settings, it should work. Also may try flipping the SSL/TLS settings and ports.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4864

Yeah, I tried all of that. Still no joy. Hadn't changed my settings at all before this all started, either -- it just spontaneously stopped sending attachments.

kirbyrun

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 26, 2009
And it continues...

Just updating...

For a couple of days, it miraculously starting sending attachments again, but just now it stopped.

Weird...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.