Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Shuri

macrumors 6502
Nov 23, 2011
But are there apps that can address and use the extra ram? If the apps are not optimized to see and use 64 bit then it is used just to fill a spec sheet for now. Until the OS and all the apps that support it are optimized to use 64bit. It is kinda useless except to have on a spec sheet. It might be the way things will go in the future......but it is not utilized now......

Even if it wouldn't matter for the end user right now, there have to be devices with 64 bit for developers to start making apps for it, it just doesn't work the other way around. But yes for the buyer it doesn't matter, unless... Isn't Android L designed to use 64 bit too? With a good implementation of the 64bit compiler, newly compiled apps could benefit from it, from day one.

Anyhow, 64 bit is important for Samsung marketing wise. They market their products in a way like : "Hey Apple is great, but we are just as great (same features) and a step beyond (even more features)" ("The next big thing is already here" comes to mind). The iPhone being 64 bit is a problem for them, because they are lacking behind in this case. (Even though the technical advantage for now is small).
To make this clear: I'm not saying they NEED to step up to 64 bit, I say the WANT to, because of this.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
my note 2 definitely has burn in, but I bought it used that way and I think the previous owner used it as a display of some sort. I've read threads of other people commenting on their note 2 having burn in and it might be bevcause the screen is non-pentile?

I think it has more to do with the fact it is OLED.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Even if it wouldn't matter for the end user right now, there have to be devices with 64 bit for developers to start making apps for it, it just doesn't work the other way around. But yes for the buyer it doesn't matter, unless... Isn't Android L designed to use 64 bit too? With a good implementation of the 64bit compiler, newly compiled apps could benefit from it, from day one.

Anyhow, 64 bit is important for Samsung marketing wise. They market their products in a way like : "Hey Apple is great, but we are just as great (same features) and a step beyond (even more features)" ("The next big thing is already here" comes to mind). The iPhone being 64 bit is a problem for them, because they are lacking behind in this case. (Even though the technical advantage for now is small).
To make this clear: I'm not saying they NEED to step up to 64 bit, I say the WANT to, because of this.
I don't want to make this about Apple and Samsung.....

My comments were strictly about using 64bit versus 32. While 64bit might be the way things will go down the road. I am not sure there are enough apps out there right now that can utilize 64 architecture. There has been enough time now for developers to optimize apps for 64bit but I am not sure that is done yet. I do agree that Samsung wants to keep pace with what Apple does.....they are the leader in the mobile phone space.
I wonder if benchmarks show a performance gain for 64bit?

Shuri

macrumors 6502
Nov 23, 2011
I don't want to make this about Apple and Samsung.....

My comments were strictly about using 64bit versus 32. While 64bit might be the way things will go down the road. I am not sure there are enough apps out there right now that can utilize 64 architecture. There has been enough time now for developers to optimize apps for 64bit but I am not sure that is done yet. I do agree that Samsung wants to keep pace with what Apple does.....they are the leader in the mobile phone space.
I wonder if benchmarks show a performance gain for 64bit?

Me neither, I wasn't even saying Samsung is doing something bad or so, just wanted to say that Samsung might not care that much about it being already necessary, but that it's important for their marketing.

Found some ARM v8 Benchmark released by ARM itself:

1399385223-13-armperformanceteaser.jpg

Same process means the CPU is built nearly the same, apart from being 64 bit. So there is a significant boost. On top (not in this diagram, but in the (german) article in that I've found it) the new processor generation is going to be less power consuming.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Me neither, I wasn't even saying Samsung is doing something bad or so, just wanted to say that Samsung might not care that much about it being already necessary, but that it's important for their marketing.

Found some ARM v8 Benchmark released by ARM itself:

Same process means the CPU is built nearly the same, apart from being 64 bit. So there is a significant boost. On top (not in this diagram, but in the (german) article in that I've found it) the new processor generation is going to be less power consuming.
Nice find! It will even get better once developer get their apps optimized for 64bit architecture!

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
UK
seeing the alpha does make me wonder if the metal look will now be the future of the devices and see if it starts with the flagships like the note. Or if the metal look is just to have a different option.

As long as it has a removeable back i don't mind which the alpha I think does.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_alpha-review-1114p3.php

64bit Exynos 5430 in the galaxy alpha seems amazing.. And note 4 uses the even better 5433

Nice link. :)

Looks like amazing gpu performance combined with the 720p screen

Did not realize the alpha had new latest gen processor

This a perfect example of why excessive display resolution can be counter productive. Can't believe I'm gonna say this but for once, maybe Samsung didn't shoot themselves in the foot and are onto something with the Alpha. :eek:

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
seeing the alpha does make me wonder if the metal look will now be the future of the devices and see if it starts with the flagships like the note. Or if the metal look is just to have a different option.

As long as it has a removeable back i don't mind which the alpha I think does.

I don't want it! I want my plastic removable back and micro SD card slot.

I hope this is not the direction for future Samsung devices, especially omitting the SD card slot.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
New Note 4 images

th

Samsung's Galaxy Note range is responsible for creating an entire smartphone niche, not bad for a company often accused of failing to be innovative. The phablet (large screen smartphones) trend was started by the Korean company and ever since the Galaxy Note has dominated the market. With good reason too, as each new Note has been the best phablet available by the proverbial country mile. The Galaxy Note 4 is due to land at the IFA trade show on September 3rd and once again it will undoubtedly be a staggering piece of hardware, but this time it may not have things its own way.
Read more at http://www.mobileburn.com/23313/rumors/rumour-roundup-samsung-galaxy-note-4#fXKho1Vhtx5gZyUl.99

http://www.mobileburn.com/23313/rumors/rumour-roundup-samsung-galaxy-note-4

Sensamic

macrumors 68030
Mar 26, 2010

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
UK
You get used to the size. Always fit fine in my pockets but at nearly 6'4 with big hands I suppose it's easier for me

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
This a perfect example of why excessive display resolution can be counter productive. Can't believe I'm gonna say this but for once, maybe Samsung didn't shoot themselves in the foot and are onto something with the Alpha. :eek:

You mean APPLE right?

Isn't APPLE the one that doesn't chase spec sheet numbers for the sake of it? Aren't they the ones who's release is right around the corner and are the target for Samsung in the release of the Alpha?

I'll admit, I'm impressed by the benchmarks. Glad they packed in a top of the line processor. Honestly, if this were Samsung's flagship offering for 2014, I'd feel differently about it. It would look like Samsung has finally figured out that higher numbers don't necessarily mean better. But alas, their timing just looks like they are trying to beat Apple at their own game and seems to show a lack of confidence in the GS5 (which still hasn't topped the almost year old 5S in sales).

Though the device still runs TouchWiz....and I've yet to see anything that says TW has seen a major overhaul.

Give TW a major redesign (more consistent design language across all menus and drop the gimmicks and bloat) and replace that horrible bandaid backing with something different (doesn't NECESSARILY have to be metal) and they'd have themselves a winner.....should be their next flagship IMO.

----------

http://www.sammobile.com/2014/08/21...es-16mp-side-touch-wide-selfie-and-much-more/

Exclusive: Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Camera Features – 16MP, Side Touch, Wide Selfie, and much more.

Can someone explain "Side Touch" to me? What's the point? Does Apple or Nokia have a patent on using the volume up button as the shutter? Seems like a waste of space adding a dedicated sensor that only works in one of the camera modes....

I do want to add that the Note series is evidence Samsung CAN innovate. I give them a ton of credit for essentially creating the phablet niche and it has since grown into its own market. In my mind this is really the one thing Samsung has done on its own and well - the S-Pen is innovative and it would seem there is a decent contingent out there who are game to carry around a 5.5"+ smartphone so they can get all the power a device that large can pack in.

I'm excited to see where competition takes them. Up until recently, Samsung was the only player in this space - although still dominant, offerings like the Lumia 1520, G3 Phablet and the rumored 5.5" iPhone should make for some interesting competition in the coming years.

If only it didn't run TouchWiz, I might have given it a shot at some point. But alas, if there does end up being an iOS-run phablet option, that will be the one I choose to test the phablet-waters with.

Last edited:

gadgetgirl85

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2006
I'm very excited!! I'm definitely keen to check out the iPhone 6 but most likely will get the note 4. I miss my note 3 so bad :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.