Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

skaertus

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 23, 2009
Brazil
I don't think Windows 8.1 is comparable to OS X.
intel says Core M chips will support natively "4K and UHD resolutions".

So, now you support the redesigned MBA will be Core M equipped and with a retina screen? I try to foliow you

Why isn't Windows 8.1 comparable to OS X? Because OS X renders "retina" resolutions at double the aspect ratio?

I think the next MacBook Air will have a Broadwell-U processor, at 15W, just like the current MacBook Airs. It will also have a retina display, which will probably be a 12-inch screen with a 2304x1440 resolution (a 16:10 aspect ratio and the same pixel density as the 13-inch retina MacBook Pro).

However, I think it would not be impossible for a Broadwell-Y processor to drive a retina display. Current Haswell-Y processors are equipped with the HD 4200 video card. Isn't it more powerful than the HD 4000?

chleuasme

macrumors 6502
Apr 17, 2012
Why isn't Windows 8.1 comparable to OS X? Because OS X renders "retina" resolutions at double the aspect ratio?
It's the second time you employ "aspect ratio" in a wonky way. To be sure we are talking about the same thing, aspect ratio simply means the ratio between width and height of a screen (16:9, 8:5, 4:3, etc). You apparently meant "resolution".
OS X and Windows don't have the same approach regarding ultra-high density screens, they aren't the same OS, and I wouldn't assume graphic rendering tasks in general are comparably intensive on every aspects. You can't make assumption on hardware for one and infer capability for the other as easily.

I think it would not be impossible for a Broadwell-Y processor to drive a retina display. Current Haswell-Y processors are equipped with the HD 4200 video card. Isn't it more powerful than the HD 4000?
You're again trying to compare what can't be easily compared, and likely would need to be more specific.
The HD 4200 in a Haswell-Y will be clocked slower and probably doesn't compare that well with a Ivy Bridge HD 4000 like found on 2012 MBAs for example. On a Haswell-U it likely would perform better because of higher TDP allowing to exploit its faster design.
But then again, it's not only the GPU that will decide on UI performances, you can't omit single thread CPU performances and TDP of the chip.
Supposedly, Broadwell-Y should be capable to drive a retina screen, that's what intel states, but I don't know exactly what they mean behind "native support of UHD resolutions".

Last edited:

BeamWalker

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2009
A Resolution of 2304x1440 seems kinda odd to me. That would give the desktop in retina mode only 1152x720 Pixels. That's a far cry from the current 1440x900 of the 13" MBA and even from the 13" Macbook Standard 1280x800 resolution from yesteryear. I hope if they go retina it will be 2560x1600 or above. I also hope they stay with the 16:10 aspect ratio. Considering that now everything is pushing towards higher resolutions and Yosemite seems quite optimized for HiDPI I'm quite confident that the switch is going to happen.

Another thing to think about is how Apple would keep the Macbook lines further apart from each other. Not considering the tapered edge there is already very little difference in terms of height. The Standard USB Plug is one thing that prevents further slimming down, cooling is another. Both could be addressed with technology from future's shelfs (USB 3.1 type c & Broadwell), I just don't thing we are quite there yet.

Personally I don't think price will be the main differentiator between the Pro's and the Air's, I think Portability will be the Air's main thing while usability will be the main selling point for the Pro line.

skaertus

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 23, 2009
Brazil
A Resolution of 2304x1440 seems kinda odd to me. That would give the desktop in retina mode only 1152x720 Pixels. That's a far cry from the current 1440x900 of the 13" MBA and even from the 13" Macbook Standard 1280x800 resolution from yesteryear. I hope if they go retina it will be 2560x1600 or above. I also hope they stay with the 16:10 aspect ratio. Considering that now everything is pushing towards higher resolutions and Yosemite seems quite optimized for HiDPI I'm quite confident that the switch is going to happen.

Yes, 2304x1440 is very odd. However, it would mean exactly the same pixel density as the current 13-inch MacBook Pro. The desktop mode would not be limited to 1152x720, as ratios like 1280x800 or 1440x900 could also be used, while keeping the same sharpness as of a 2304x1440 screen. I thought it odd at the beginning as well, but the rumors of a 2304x1440 resolution may be true in the end.

Another thing to think about is how Apple would keep the Macbook lines further apart from each other. Not considering the tapered edge there is already very little difference in terms of height. The Standard USB Plug is one thing that prevents further slimming down, cooling is another. Both could be addressed with technology from future's shelfs (USB 3.1 type c & Broadwell), I just don't thing we are quite there yet.

Well, if rumors are to be believed, then the MacBook Air will sport a 12-inch screen, and Broadwell may end up allowing for better battery life and cooling. I think a 12-inch MacBook Air may end up being as small and light as the current 11.6-inch MacBook Air. That's some difference from the Pro line in terms of size (as for the aspect, I don't think they will look too different).

Personally I don't think price will be the main differentiator between the Pro's and the Air's, I think Portability will be the Air's main thing while usability will be the main selling point for the Pro line.

That's a wild card for me. Apple has substantially lowered the prices of the MacBook Air line, and this may be a one-end street. The cheapest MacBook Air currently costs only US$ 899. And competitors are lowering their prices too. The Surface Pro 3 begins at US$ 799 and, even with the keyboard, it costs US$ 929 (which is in line with the Air). The increase in sales of Macs this year probably has some connection with the price drop. I don't think Apple is willing to let that go, especially when competitors are so close behind.

skaertus

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 23, 2009
Brazil
I wouldn't be that surprised if in 2015 Apple moves to a 12" rMBA, with 14" and 16" rMBPs.

Well, that is unlikely. The retina MacBook Pros are 2-year old products now and, in Apple's timeline, that is too early for any modification of form in its laptops. The MacBook Air current line is almost four years old, and a redesign is imminent after all this time. The launch of a retina model (likely a 12-inch) in late 2014 or early 2015 would conform to Apple's past timeline. However, I would not expect the MacBook Pro to be redesigned before 2016.

leonw

macrumors member
Mar 20, 2011
at home
Well, not that much news on that. Of what I understand the whole rMBA release-date stands or falls with Intels Broadwell cpu. And it is not clear to me (or anybody else???) which type ( M, U or Y) is powerfull enough to be used in the rMBA. And since some of these cpu's are more delayed than others, it seems just a wild guess to me to predict any release date. It would maybe more interesting to hear some Broadwell release date rumors.

skaertus

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 23, 2009
Brazil
Well, not that much news on that. Of what I understand the whole rMBA release-date stands or falls with Intels Broadwell cpu. And it is not clear to me (or anybody else???) which type ( M, U or Y) is powerfull enough to be used in the rMBA. And since some of these cpu's are more delayed than others, it seems just a wild guess to me to predict any release date. It would maybe more interesting to hear some Broadwell release date rumors.

I agree. Not too much news. Anyone could guess what they said in these news. But it seems more like a confirmation that a new MacBook Air is coming.

chleuasme

macrumors 6502
Apr 17, 2012
Broadwell may end up allowing for better battery life and cooling.
What do you mean here?!
Broadwell being a tick, and with the announced performances (30% lower energy and 5% better performances at equal frequency), from 15W Haswell-U, you can expect either something like 11.5W Broadwell-Y with same performances, or 15W Broadwell-U with better performances (with something like more room for a better GPU, and a higher base clock speed and maybe faster turbo boost).
Was Apple not doing a MBA with a retina screen based on ULW Haswell only to better segment its line of laptops, or was it simply impossible to make a laptop at the level of their expectations (thinness, battery life, temperature, performances)? I'd bet the latter, I don't think Apple would have passed to release the thinnest and best ultrabook in the market; the rMBP models are the best they could do.
If Apple keeps making MBAs with 15W chips with Broadwell, I don't think they will be able to make thinner devices. If they choose lower TDP chips, I don't know if they'll be able to use a retina screen.
We can see in this article some examples of 15W chips on the Broadwell catalog.

----------

Well, there are finally some news on this. Apparently Apple is indeed preparing a 12-inch model with a retina display to launch in late 2014/early 2015 (https://www.macrumors.com/2014/08/27/apple-thinner-macbook-late-2014-early-2015/).
Let's not interpret too much on this MR article based on this Digitimes report. Only three things are stated in this article:
"Apple plans to launch a thinner MacBook possibly at the end of 2014 or in 2015." That sounds like a guess, based on current intel roadmap.
"Production of components has begun in small volumes, according to Taiwan-based supply chain makers." If Digitimes can be believed for anything, now that'd be some news. Now, for anything released in the possible timeframe previously cited, it likely would start now.
"The 13.3-inch MacBook Pro features a thickness of 2.4cm, but the model is expected to be retired by the end of 2014." Again sounds like a guess; easy one, this will be true at some point (same as with the original iPod still sold and to be retired at next event).
Anything else in the MR article is still as usual a re-hash of what they think they know, previously aggregated guesses/leaks. You'll notice MR is finally more careful at not anymore calling this rumored notebook a MBA since few weeks.

I'd guess this article like the concomitant one about a larger iPad is end of summer attempt to gain echoes and new infos, launching again the rumor/leak machine? There is no real news to me.

skaertus

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 23, 2009
Brazil
What do you mean here?!
Broadwell being a tick, and with the announced performances (30% lower energy and 5% better performances at equal frequency), from 15W Haswell-U, you can expect either something like 11.5W Broadwell-Y with same performances, or 15W Broadwell-U with better performances (with something like more room for a better GPU, and a higher base clock speed and maybe faster turbo boost).
Was Apple not doing a MBA with a retina screen based on ULW Haswell only to better segment its line of laptops, or was it simply impossible to make a laptop at the level of their expectations (thinness, battery life, temperature, performances)? I'd bet the latter, I don't think Apple would have passed to release the thinnest and best ultrabook in the market; the rMBP models are the best they could do.
If Apple keeps making MBAs with 15W chips with Broadwell, I don't think they will be able to make thinner devices. If they choose lower TDP chips, I don't know if they'll be able to use a retina screen.
We can see in this article some examples of 15W chips on the Broadwell catalog.

I would expect Broadwell-U. Better performance in both CPU and GPU, and more in line with other Apple offerings. If Apple chooses Broadwell-Y, there will be a gap in performance between the Air and the Pro lines.

I don't know why Apple has not yet launched the retina MacBook Air. Perhaps Apple wanted to keep prices of the MacBook Air low. Or perhaps it wanted good battery life. Or maybe it wanted it to be even thinner and lighter. We will never know.

----------

Let's not interpret too much on this MR article based on this Digitimes report. Only three things are stated in this article:
"Apple plans to launch a thinner MacBook possibly at the end of 2014 or in 2015." That sounds like a guess, based on current intel roadmap.
"Production of components has begun in small volumes, according to Taiwan-based supply chain makers." If Digitimes can be believed for anything, now that'd be some news. Now, for anything released in the possible timeframe previously cited, it likely would start now.
"The 13.3-inch MacBook Pro features a thickness of 2.4cm, but the model is expected to be retired by the end of 2014." Again sounds like a guess; easy one, this will be true at some point (same as with the original iPod still sold and to be retired at next event).
Anything else in the MR article is still as usual a re-hash of what they think they know, previously aggregated guesses/leaks. You'll notice MR is finally more careful at not anymore calling this rumored notebook a MBA since few weeks.

I'd guess this article like the concomitant one about a larger iPad is end of summer attempt to gain echoes and new infos, launching again the rumor/leak machine? There is no real news to me.

It doesn't reveal anything we did not already know.

skaertus

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 23, 2009
Brazil
So why did you say "Well, there are finally some news on this"?...

Well, it's old news. Not something substantial. Anyway, this forum is not supposed to be scientifically accurate. Am I not authorized to contradict myself?

skaertus

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 23, 2009
Brazil
There are no significant news on the retina MacBook Air for a while. It may not get a release in October when Yosemite is launched, at this pace. Yosemite will probably ship with a new Mac, though, and I suspect it may be a Mac Mini and not a new Air. Or perhaps this lack of news is just a reflect of the hype around the launch of the iPhone 6 next week. I just wish there were half the news about the Air as there are for the iPhone.

mortenandersen

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2011
Norway
About the half - about quantity...

There are no significant news on the retina MacBook Air for a while. It may not get a release in October when Yosemite is launched, at this pace. Yosemite will probably ship with a new Mac, though, and I suspect it may be a Mac Mini and not a new Air. Or perhaps this lack of news is just a reflect of the hype around the launch of the iPhone 6 next week. I just wish there were half the news about the Air as there are for the iPhone.

I would be very very glad if there were about one percent of the news about the Air as there are for the iPhone. :)

chleuasme

macrumors 6502
Apr 17, 2012
News are always better than rumors.

Intel published documents about the Core M:
http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/processors/core/core-m-processors.html?wapkw=core+m

And in particular some more datas about graphic capabilities:
http://www.intel.com/content/dam/ww...s/core-m-processor-family-datasheet-vol-1.pdf
Pages 26/27 I understand eDP could be up to 3840x2160@60Hz (but then no fanless design).

Some article here: http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2014...ore-m-cpus-promises-more-broadwell-early-2015
Programmable up to 6W Core M models could maybe have interests for Apple for creating an even lighter MBA?

Last edited:

skaertus

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 23, 2009
Brazil
News are always better than rumors.

Intel published documents about the Core M:
http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/processors/core/core-m-processors.html?wapkw=core+m

And in particular some more datas about graphic capabilities:
http://www.intel.com/content/dam/ww...s/core-m-processor-family-datasheet-vol-1.pdf
Pages 26/27 I understand eDP could be up to 3840x2160@60Hz (but then no fanless design).

Some article here: http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2014...ore-m-cpus-promises-more-broadwell-early-2015
Programmable up to 6W Core M models could maybe have interests for Apple for creating an even lighter MBA?

This is just great. However, I would like to see some real world tests of Broadwell processors before getting too excited.

chleuasme

macrumors 6502
Apr 17, 2012
Yep.
The article shows these intel numbers:
Screen-Shot-2014-09-05-at-10.29.52-AM-640x303.png

So, comparing to a 4 year old 18W chip, like the MBA'10.
That'd put roughly a 6W Broadwell Core M -based MBA not much better than a 2010 MBP. Not that bad for a low-end MacBook, but maybe Apple wants/needs beefier performances with 15W chips.

Last edited:

skaertus

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 23, 2009
Brazil
Yep.
The article shows these intel numbers:
So, comparing to a 4 year old 18W chip, like the MBA'10.
That'd put roughly a 6W Broadwell Core M -based MBA not much better than a 2010 MBP. Not that bad for a low-end MacBook, but maybe Apple wants/needs beefier performances with 15W chips.

Yes, but they are still Intel numbers. It would nice to see some third party, non interested, making such comparisons. Intel's numbers may be biased.

chleuasme

macrumors 6502
Apr 17, 2012
Well, yes, of course. That's only the first batch of Broadwell chips presented by intel. You can't expect better datas for now, we aren't gonna have the benchmarks of the successor of the current MBA to comment, we can only speculate on ballpark figures.
The point of this thread is to speculate on more or less accurate datas and past speculations, no?

You've been hammering last thirty pages that Broadwell will show 30% better power efficiency than Haswell. There you have finally finer grain datas, but only for now for the lower TDP line of intel chips.
Intel datas sure aren't gonna show their own product under a bad light, but as vague the measured usages are, that's still giving an idea of what we can expect with Core M chips in comparison to their previous ULV chips.

skaertus

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 23, 2009
Brazil
Well, yes, of course. That's only the first batch of Broadwell chips presented by intel. You can't expect better datas for now, we aren't gonna have the benchmarks of the successor of the current MBA to comment, we can only speculate on ballpark figures.
The point of this thread is to speculate on more or less accurate datas and past speculations, no?

You've been hammering last thirty pages that Broadwell will show 30% better power efficiency than Haswell. There you have finally finer grain datas, but only for now for the lower TDP line of intel chips.
Intel datas sure aren't gonna show their own product under a bad light, but as vague the measured usages are, that's still giving an idea of what we can expect with Core M chips in comparison to their previous ULV chips.

What I said is that Intel claims that Broadwell will be 30% more power efficient than Haswell. Of course Intel tends to inflate these numbers, in order to better market the features of the new processor. There should be some truth in this, however, and I am willing to know if there is some third party, non-interested, reviewer, that could shed some light on this.

chleuasme

macrumors 6502
Apr 17, 2012
What I said is that Intel claims that Broadwell will be 30% more power efficient than Haswell. Of course Intel tends to inflate these numbers, in order to better market the features of the new processor. There should be some truth in this, however, and I am willing to know if there is some third party, non-interested, reviewer, that could shed some light on this.
And you won't have any. Do you understand there is not yet any device on sale with Broadwell chips?
You've been elaborating during 30 pages on this 30% figure coming from intel, taken as granted, and now you have an illustration of this from the same source: intel. What has changed for you?

And in the same time, you're able to recognize in a unverifiable=unreliable source's words that there is some "confirmation" of anything:
I agree. Not too much news. Anyone could guess what they said in these news. But it seems more like a confirmation that a new MacBook Air is coming.
"It says nothing, anyone could say it, hence it's a confirmation" :rolleyes: and well, yep, "a new MBA is coming" needed confirmation (but actually this Digitimes report was saying more: it added it would be thinner).

Can you explain again how you make the new MBA thinner and with a retina screen, basing on 15W Broadwell chips? I already hear you answer about IGZO displays; do we have any info in that direction?
Compared to the Core M, the higher 15W TDP with the 14nm shrinked process allow better performances on CPU and GPU, but you then don't get any noticeable change on thermal and energy consumption compared to current designs.
For now we lack informations on other Broadwell chips, all we know is some details about the Core M and some allusions about 15W models for NUCs.

Isn't it interesting to talk about datas we have? That's what you've been doing last 30 pages. It would be more interesting to see you either reject the Core M on argumentation or consider it as a possible scenario.
And what if there is something between 4.5-6W and 15W TDP chips?

The question is not about being right or wrong, who gives a damn if anyone in this forum is correct in the end about the future of the MBA; only Apple is at the decision. Here we're only elaborating on parcelar elements to evaluate what's in the range of possibles and try to make better than only random predictions.
And that's new data points intel is giving, as biased as they can be.

mwa

Suspended
Jun 3, 2013
Memo: A Slower Seesaw!
I, personally, believe the MacBook Air will be updated with a 34" Retina-times-Retina display (which is better times infinity that regular boring Retina) that folds up into a 1x1" square and becomes the iWatch. It will have modular RAM components that can pop off in a jiffy to save weight but comes OOB with only 256GB of RAM to save precious grams.

The unibody will be fill with helium so it'll be very light (you may even have to put a cinderblock on it to hold it down! But no biggie because it'll come with an Apple-brand cinderblock).

It has one of the new Intel Reverse-fanless processors that haven't even had their predecessors released yet, which will not only be a fan but also suck the air backwards because it's so efficient!

The Harddrive will be composed of anti matter components for increased security, a retinal scanner, blood pressure monitor that attaches to your toenails and also tracks calcium deficiency, and hair dryer so you don't have to hold your new MBA over your when it rains you just get wet and then blow dry your hair!

It will come with a Unicorn-hide carrying case, one of Steve Job's used bandaids, and "Satellite Recharging" (it recharges by satellite beams!) so you never have to even plug it in.

Instead of a Command key it now has a "Rapture" key that will instantly solve all your problems, world hunger, cure aids, dump a bucket of ice water your least favorite celebrity (but it's still for a good cause, yay!) and take you and your loved ones to a technological Xanadu where there is no Android, no Windows, and not even people talking about a Kernal panic.

I'm expecting nothing less than Apple to blow the lid of life come 9/9/14.

skaertus

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 23, 2009
Brazil
And you won't have any. Do you understand there is not yet any device on sale with Broadwell chips?
You've been elaborating during 30 pages on this 30% figure coming from intel, taken as granted, and now you have an illustration of this from the same source: intel. What has changed for you?

Well, perhaps I did not make myself clear if I took the 30% figure for granted. Intel of course tends to be biased, but I also do not think Intel will be too much off, since this is some big announcement and Broadwell will certainly be somewhat more energy efficient than Haswell. 30% is probably true, but only on some specific situations.

And in the same time, you're able to recognize in a unverifiable=unreliable source's words that there is some "confirmation" of anything:

"It says nothing, anyone could say it, hence it's a confirmation" :rolleyes: and well, yep, "a new MBA is coming" needed confirmation (but actually this Digitimes report was saying more: it added it would be thinner).

Well, a redesign of the MacBook Air is all but confirmed. But given that there are several ultrabooks much better than the Air in terms of technology at this point, then Apple is probably redefining it in a big launch very soon. Of course you may disagree and think that the Air is better than any ultrabook. Yes, the Air may have better battery life and a better keyboard or trackpad. But other vendors have better screens, thinner designs and different materials. Apple can do better than the Air right now.

Can you explain again how you make the new MBA thinner and with a retina screen, basing on 15W Broadwell chips? I already hear you answer about IGZO displays; do we have any info in that direction?
Compared to the Core M, the higher 15W TDP with the 14nm shrinked process allow better performances on CPU and GPU, but you then don't get any noticeable change on thermal and energy consumption compared to current designs.
For now we lack informations on other Broadwell chips, all we know is some details about the Core M and some allusions about 15W models for NUCs.

I am no engineer and I do not know how Apple would cramp a retina screen in the MacBook Air and still keep the battery life. I have some educated guesses, though:

• Broadwell may end up being much more energy efficient than Haswell (that alone, though, would not be enough);

• Apple may use a lower TDP chip (I do not believe so, as the possible gap in performance would not make many people happy);

•*Apple may use an IGZO display (it is already been used in Dell laptops) or a similar power-saving technology (LTPS?);

•*Apple may cramp a 12-inch screen in a format similar to the 11-inch MacBook Air, and the end result will be a larger laptop in a thin shell;

• Apple may distribute better the internals to cramp more battery inside the chassis;

•*Apple may reduce the size of the bezel and other areas to make the laptop lighter.

• Apple may end up accepting that the new Air will have slight less battery life than the current one.

Just guesses, though. There is always somewhere to cut. I don't know a thing before I see the final product.

Isn't it interesting to talk about datas we have? That's what you've been doing last 30 pages. It would be more interesting to see you either reject the Core M on argumentation or consider it as a possible scenario.
And what if there is something between 4.5-6W and 15W TDP chips?

It is possible that Apple adopts a lower-voltage processor, although I do not think Apple will shift away from what it currently uses. Apple did not do that in the past, and I do not think it will do it now.

The question is not about being right or wrong, who gives a damn if anyone in this forum is correct in the end about the future of the MBA; only Apple is at the decision. Here we're only elaborating on parcelar elements to evaluate what's in the range of possibles and try to make better than only random predictions.
And that's new data points intel is giving, as biased as they can be.

Yes. That's the only piece of information we have. Although useful, I wish we had more from third parties.

----------

I, personally, believe the MacBook Air will be updated with a 34" Retina-times-Retina display (which is better times infinity that regular boring Retina) that folds up into a 1x1" square and becomes the iWatch. It will have modular RAM components that can pop off in a jiffy to save weight but comes OOB with only 256GB of RAM to save precious grams.

The unibody will be fill with helium so it'll be very light (you may even have to put a cinderblock on it to hold it down! But no biggie because it'll come with an Apple-brand cinderblock).

It has one of the new Intel Reverse-fanless processors that haven't even had their predecessors released yet, which will not only be a fan but also suck the air backwards because it's so efficient!

The Harddrive will be composed of anti matter components for increased security, a retinal scanner, blood pressure monitor that attaches to your toenails and also tracks calcium deficiency, and hair dryer so you don't have to hold your new MBA over your when it rains you just get wet and then blow dry your hair!

It will come with a Unicorn-hide carrying case, one of Steve Job's used bandaids, and "Satellite Recharging" (it recharges by satellite beams!) so you never have to even plug it in.

Instead of a Command key it now has a "Rapture" key that will instantly solve all your problems, world hunger, cure aids, dump a bucket of ice water your least favorite celebrity (but it's still for a good cause, yay!) and take you and your loved ones to a technological Xanadu where there is no Android, no Windows, and not even people talking about a Kernal panic.

Very creative!

I'm expecting nothing less than Apple to blow the lid of life come 9/9/14.

Well, don't hold your breath.

Apple is moving towards the fashion industry, as the latest rumors tell us. Perhaps we will see some dresses and suits designed by Jony Ive in Apple California before we see a new MacBook Air.

mwa

Suspended
Jun 3, 2013
Memo: A Slower Seesaw!
Apple is moving towards the fashion industry, as the latest rumors tell us. Perhaps we will see some dresses and suits designed by Jony Ive in Apple California before we see a new MacBook Air.

I agree the "iWatch" - which, we should realize, is still very much in the rumor phase* - is more 'fashion' than perhaps a regular computer, but I wouldn't so mockingly suggest that Apple will begin making suits.

A wearable device stands to reason as the logical 'next step' in form factor - Google's tried it with their hideous and excessively polarizing Glass and Samsung has had problems with reliability with their Android KitKatDumDum watch but that hardly means the idea of a small wearable computer should be written off. After all, we did have touch screen prior to 2007.

However, when considering wearables as a place to take computing next, the wrist is the most logical choice. You can't fit the hardware into a ring, not everyone wants to wear a hat, bulky computer-laden glasses are dumb and, rightfully so, cause disruption from people who don't want their photos taken (or, to be fair to the wearer, to be under constant threat of having their photos taken, whether any photos are being taken or not. Let's face it, most of us are simply not that interesting.)

As a place to bring notifications and health features of sort or other to be married with some part of the body where people are at least more than semi-receptive to seeing/wearing it, the wrist is very apropos.

Now, afa as my expectation of a MacBook Air in wrist-worn form factor and wild honeymoon unicorns being tamed by Jony Ive in a besequinned suit of armor... well, no, I won't be holding my breath. :D

*We've seen more solid and more sensible rumors from even more monumentally industry-shaking products, as was the case with the iPhone, than with this purported Apple wearable. Nobody can agree with anyone about anything when it comes to to this mysterious 'iWatch.'

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.