Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sub-o

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 28, 2011
Ireland
Hi Guys,
Again, sorry for a new thread but I can't seem to find an answer.
After returning a Sandisk SSD and ordering a Crucial one (thanks for the advice!), I'm still confused as to whether it would be ok to place the boot drive (SSD) in the optibay and leave the HDD in place.
In my MBP Early '11 13inch, I HAD to put the SSD in the original HDD bay.
It's not a huge deal as I've to put in 8GB RAM anyway.....but I'd like to have the Thermal Sensor & fan working as intended, as I kinda like the WD Scorpio Black HDD in it!
Thanks!

mcnallym

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2008
Shouldn't be a problem. I put my SSD into the normal lower position for the Disk, but was leaving my Optical Drive in. ( I rip CD's into iTunes with it so is worth keeping around for me )

Just select the SSD as the BootDisk / Disk to install OSX onto etc and should be good to go.

Sub-o

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 28, 2011
Ireland
Thanks mcnallym,
I'm happy switching boot disks....more concerned about the speed. Don't want it to be only SATA I speeds....
So wondering has anyone tried it and has it been full SATA II?
Looking forward to getting the Mini almost as fast as my MBP.

jbarley

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2006
Vancouver Island
Thanks mcnallym,
I'm happy switching boot disks....more concerned about the speed. Don't want it to be only SATA I speeds....
So wondering has anyone tried it and has it been full SATA II?
Looking forward to getting the Mini almost as fast as my MBP.

I have an late 09 mini with two SSDs in it, and I boot off the SSD in the optibay, runs like a champ.

Sub-o

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 28, 2011
Ireland
Thanks jbarley.....much appreciated!
I'll put the SSD in the optibay & leave the HDD where it is.....should be a nice set up when I do it: 240GB SSD, 750GB 7200rpm HDD & 8GB RAM.
Ready and waiting for Yosemite.....!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.