Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

g4cube

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2003
Apple should stop fooling around and implement a proper SSD model white list to weed out the crap, that a power user can extend at their own risk.

The problem with "at your own risk" is that too many people would take a cursory look at the various mod websites, use some SSD of questionable origin, and then cry to Apple when data is lost.

Apple makes it hard on purpose. The SSD technology isn't mature enough to "just work".

That's why I have Macs (and PCs) for testing, and ones for primary work. The primary work ones seldom have the "latest and greatest", but I do have peace of mind.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
The problem with "at your own risk" is that too many people would take a cursory look at the various mod websites, use some SSD of questionable origin, and then cry to Apple when data is lost.

Apple makes it hard on purpose. The SSD technology isn't mature enough to "just work".

That's why I have Macs (and PCs) for testing, and ones for primary work. The primary work ones seldom have the "latest and greatest", but I do have peace of mind.

They can also have a signed blacklist filled by proper cause which cannot be modified without the system refusing to boot. No parameters to override should exist to bypass safeguards against real crap.

g4cube

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2003
They can also have a signed blacklist filled by proper cause which cannot be modified without the system refusing to boot. No parameters to override should exist to bypass safeguards against real crap.

Sure, it's technically possible, but Apple would never do that.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
Sure, it's technically possible, but Apple would never do that.

Actually, for this purpose they don't need to refuse to boot, they can just disable TRIM completely if the blacklist is modified.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.