Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gasu E.

macrumors 603
Mar 20, 2004
Not far from Boston, MA.
I have MUCH cheaper, better solution: People just learn to be patient and careful, and not jam things in too hard when there's obvious resistance to them doing so. Do we have reversible IEC plugs (mains plug for PC/Mac)? Do we have reversible shoes? Yes, this is a good idea, but designing AROUND patience and common sense? How about people just learn the hard way and suck it up, teaching them a valuable life lesson - BE CAREFUL WITH YOUR EQUIPMENT.

Good one. Don't redesign the technology; redesign the people.

the-msa

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2013
omg. this solves one of my biggest pet peeves in technology. i detest usb plugs with symmetrical design that can only be inserted one way. who's the ******* who came up with that one?

thank you apple.

You must have a hard time living your life.

Anyway, reversible usb sure is nice, but I know the orientation of usb ports on my devices. Takes like 1 day to remember them. After that I don't act like a baby trying to jam in a toy in its mouth.

Bonus LPT: on horizontal USB ports, the solid part of the port is always up, the solid part of the plug is always down. Wow, I just hacked your lifes!

Moto G

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2014
Even then, the flex back and forth is a minimal difference. It's maybe 1 or 2 degrees of motion.

All they really need is some spring steel. Hell, even aluminum might survive that minor of a flex 100's of 1000's of times.

Precisely :)

----------

...what, those nice, chunky hexagonal plugs that make it very easy to tell, by sight or touch, which way up the plug and socket is?

This is a specific problem with the USB A connectors where it is tricky to tell visually and almost impossible to tell by touch which way up they should go.

The point of the USB connector is that it plugs into existing USB sockets. Like the ones in virtually every computer, most modern cars (or with a cigar-to-USB adapter), an increasing number of hotel rooms, some 4-way adapter strips, generic USB power supplies that you've probably already got half-a-dozen of etc. All available by simply carrying a USB cable. Even with multiple devices, you can probably get away without carrying a power supply, you certainly don't need to carry more than one.

Wireless is great but you have to carry the wireless charger with you, or at least the induction plate part (and what does that plug into the power with... tadah! USB!)

How is it "tricky to tell"? It's EASY, if you're patient and have eyes :/

----------

As an EMI shield or conducting high signal/noise ratio serial electrical signals?

http://tinyurl.com/condelast

leroypants

Suspended
Jul 17, 2010
I know it's just a cable, but I'm pretty excited for this whole reversible USB thing to start showing up.

It has been around for a while, I actually have one. Apple is just stealing an idea from a smaller company who won't be able to put a fight against Apple.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
This tells you that Apple products cost a lot and people just throw them round like a brick..

How about we all crash our cars at the same time, then go back to the car dealer and demand a new one ??

That's basically what Apple is saying. In short, customers need the care of Apple to look after them...

I'm not saying that's a bad thing, but how many other manufactures are doing this ?

None. And cables will last just as long if people treat them right.

All i'm saying is Apple doing's this flexibly on USB, which gives us, as the end user, an excuse to bend it, we wouldn't otherwise do, and when it comes we we all think "Thats a great idea, how the hell would i have lived in my life without it."

Well.. guess what, we did,,, yesterday..

A MacBook lover

Suspended
May 22, 2009
D.C.
As a technician I can assure you engineers never make design mistakes.

/s

As a user, I can assure you Apple has a decent track record of making things work. Not 100%, but up there. It's more likely they'll thorugouhly test it out, and get it right. I'm more worried about them improving the durability of lightning end of the cable.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
You must have a hard time living your life.

Anyway, reversible usb sure is nice, but I know the orientation of usb ports on my devices. Takes like 1 day to remember them. After that I don't act like a baby trying to jam in a toy in its mouth.

Bonus LPT: on horizontal USB ports, the solid part of the port is always up, the solid part of the plug is always down. Wow, I just hacked your lifes!

How does that help you know which way the cord is facing? And why should you have to look instead of doing it quickly by feel and habit?

Precisely :)How is it "tricky to tell"? It's EASY, if you're patient and have eyes

Why should you need patience? Why should you need to look closely?

Why would "easier" be worse than "easy?"

...All i'm saying is Apple doing's this flexibly on USB, which gives us, as the end user, an excuse to bend it, we wouldn't otherwise do, and when it comes we we all think "Thats a great idea, how the hell would i have lived in my life without it."

Well.. guess what, we did,,, yesterday..

Re-read the article. This is nothing to do with bending the plugs or ports. The flexible portion is an implementation detail hidden within; nothing to do with users bending things.

This is not about making a more durable USB cable, but a more convenient one.

I hope it sees the light, because it takes away a frequent--small but SO REPEATED--annoyance for me and thousands of others.

It has been around for a while, I actually have one. Apple is just stealing an idea from a smaller company who won't be able to put a fight against Apple.

This whole article is about an Apple invention that newly solves a problem with those smaller company products. Yes, they reverse, but not be the same mechanism. By something less innovative and, in theory, too fragile. (We'll see in practice.)

Last edited:

the-msa

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2013
Personally I don't see how the current usb cables are inconvenient. Sure reversible ones will definitely be more convenient, but to me it's like saying "I don't like eating bananas because it's rather inconvenient to peel them"

mw360

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2010
I have MUCH cheaper, better solution: People just learn to be patient and careful, and not jam things in too hard when there's obvious resistance to them doing so. Do we have reversible IEC plugs (mains plug for PC/Mac)? Do we have reversible shoes? Yes, this is a good idea, but designing AROUND patience and common sense? How about people just learn the hard way and suck it up, teaching them a valuable life lesson - BE CAREFUL WITH YOUR EQUIPMENT.

There's nothing to stop you people from enacting your USB-examination rituals and inserting your plug the right way.

Sure you'll get a whole lot less smug pleasure out of it, knowing we're recklessly shoving it in the right way or the Devil's way, but that's progress for you. Old skills just lose their relevance.

diddl14

macrumors 65816
Aug 10, 2009
Either that or they might have paid that small company a ******** of money to take their idea a step further..

B4U

macrumors 68040
Oct 11, 2012
Undisclosed location
Why not just make a magsafe-like connection to charge the battery on the iDevices?

My Xperia Z2 has that function and I have no need to utilize the micro USB.
But again, we are talking about the other end of the cable...
But we would need to work from that direction maybe?

needfx

Suspended
Aug 10, 2010
macrumors apparently
this answers all questions

Attachments

• USB_3states.png
    USB_3states.png
    247.1 KB · Views: 99

Cmdrx3

macrumors regular
Apr 5, 2013
Am I the only one that thinks this is a solution looking for a problem. Are people that lazy and so easily wound up that they need someone to design such a technical solution for something that is a minor irritation at best.

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
Am I the only one that thinks this is a solution looking for a problem. Are people that lazy and so easily wound up that they need someone to design such a technical solution for something that is a minor irritation at best.

Where I work, we have big desktops underneath our desks, and trying to feel for the orientation of a USB port is a major irritation. A solution like this would be welcomed.

Glassed Silver

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2007
Kassel, Germany

Are you an Apple user and if so, what were your reasons for becoming one?

I don't know about you, but for me and many others it was that even though we may know the hard way, we want the simple (and more beautiful in most ways) way.

Glassed Silver:mac

MattInOz

macrumors 68030
Jan 19, 2006
Sydney
This would have been a much better design for USB3 have the reverse side of the tongue connect to pins in the top of the connector for the extra pins.

Instead of the current design that just feels like the plug isn't fully/properly inserted.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
Maybe second world, too, if you even use those terms...

So is literally every imrpovement that has ever been made to a smartphone, in most cases. Right?

----------

Amazing how people jump on the bandwagon against product improvement...

Many of you concur the piece that Apple is making from an elastomer is going to eventually snap because of repeated use. Do you even know what an elastomer is?
Boeing makes an airplane wing that flexes billions of times over the lifecycle of an airplane but Apple can't make a reversible USB cable that won't be susceptible to snapping after repeated use?

Lots of smart guys commenting in this forum.

I have no real idea what they can and can't dp. I will say that, in my experience, Apple's cables are some of the first to fall apart (aside from the knockoffs you buy ten for a dollar on ebay... some of those are falling apart out of the bag). It's a pretty frequent complaint (to which a pretty frequent response is that the user must be abusing his cables).

I still maintain that my most durable 30-pin was made by belkin. I had that from when I had my iphone 3G to when I got my 5 and had to go with lightning. My current (Apple) lightning cable in my care as fraying at both ends. Aside from being more grey than white :p, my trust 30-pin showed no real signs of wear. Tghe one in the living room is also fraying at the lightning cable end. That's a bummer because it's one of Apple's longer ones. :(

----------

How is it "tricky to tell"? It's EASY, if you're patient and have eyes :/

There are those who have a tough time seeing things this small... my mother is one of them. Watching her fiddle with cables is quite comical. Her favorite thing about her new iPhone is that she can plug the "iphone end" in easily.

Also, and this may come as a shock, the nont tech inclined don't even know what a USB is. They are happy they have aphone that works that they can use to forward their mass emails with powerpoint picture albums to all 351 of their best buddies. What I am saying is, yes, an easier plug will most definitely be beneficial for granny, or mom, or just anyone who doesn't give a rip about technology and just wants things to work easily. That latter bit is something Apple has prided themselves on for a long while now.

jovada

macrumors regular
Jan 10, 2006
Boeing makes an airplane wing that flexes billions of times over the lifecycle of an airplane but Apple can't make a reversible USB cable that won't be susceptible to snapping after repeated use?
This also means that you believe Apple will use the same airplane-quality material.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.