Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ceruleanpure

macrumors newbie
Dec 7, 2011
This link worked for me. It's basically a script that you run and it puts all of the programs back into the main window.

My problem was on a single laptop - I don't have two monitors.

Note: "Script Editor" for me (Mac OS X v. 10.6.8) was in "Utilities", not "Apple Script". But, I just used the little magnifying glass to search "Script Editor" and went from there.

Hope this helps. :)

willeda1

macrumors newbie
Feb 21, 2012
if the monitor is still plugged in ...

I seemed to get this problem even if the second monitor was plugged in. I could always see the window in Exposé but never get my hands on in. The only way out was to keep the second monitor plugged in and then in the display set up, move it around the first monitor until I could catch the run-away window. Mine was lost below the screen. This fishing technique seemed to work and then I could drag it back into some place more sensible.

I guess there must be a better way than this somewhere but that worked for now.

dversion

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2012
Try mirroring...

I'm a multi monitor user on a few systems.

My trick is to switch on Mirroring for a second then turn it off and the windows gather on the main monitor for me.

Hope this helps someone...

zanzut

macrumors newbie
Dec 20, 2012
All Open windows suddenly expand in size = grrrrs

Leaving this here for anyone else afflicted
Resolution = magic Mouse Prefs & the Zoom option

••••••••••••••••

Running a 2.8 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo iMac
Mac Os X 10.6.2

=A few days ago I typo hit a random selection of keys & suddenly all my open windows expanded in size so that I have to go to screen edge to prod that side/top/bottom back in view (part of window is off screen)

I run a tightly packed & tightly arranged number of open windows -
this is a Total pain !!

The first time it happened I investigated Universal Access - it was turned off ...
I reset Display resolutions & reset again
Neither reset my windows
( eventually I activated Universal Access & zoomed out ... what a pain ... all my windows needed resizing & locating on screen)

So ...Universal Access - is officially off (or meant to be)

And this issue keeps randomly occurring
Twice today !

The only resolution I have found is to reboot & spend the 30 minutes rebuilding my work screen ...

(Tried someone's Fn 9 suggestion = nada)

This is driving more insane than I normally am ...
So any help will be appreciated
In hope & advance appreciation

Last edited:

lydcal

macrumors newbie
Jan 26, 2013
Solved this a different way

After long frustrating troubleshooting trying to get 'imovie' display to appear in desktop, we scoured forums and found much helpful info, that helped us understand the problem better. We could see it using F3, but could not access it.

Plugged in 2nd monitor and it was still not accessible, no matter what resolution we tried.

Finally we stumbled upon this window
“General” PreferencePane in ‘System Preferences’ windows

Unselected the “Restore windows when quitting and re-opening apps” item
Then Quit the App (imovie)
Then ReOpened iMovie and it popped open in the active desktop. YEAH!

Sigh!

Benito

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto, Canada
I have a slightly different problem that I hope I can get help with. I use two monitors when I am at work. I will mirror to show a client something on my screen that I wish to share, the second monitor is facing the client. When I switch off mirroring, all my open apps are back on my laptop monitor except one, XQuartz. XQuartz which I use to run my RDP never comes back to my laptop when I switch off mirroring, it always stays on the client facing monitor. I can drag it back to my laptop monitor, but that is hardly a good solution. Any suggestions?

gr.mon

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2009
None of these worked, then I read about a trick to delete the plist file. That deleted everything including my registration for the app I was trying to gather the main window, which was open, when I last closed it.

Then I tried the following and succeeded:
I changed the key MainWindowFrame to s.th. below my screen resolution, in my case:

Code:
 <key>MainWindowFrame</key>
    	<array>
    		<integer>[B]2237[/B]</integer>
    		<integer>474</integer>
    		<integer>834</integer>
    		<integer>704</integer>
    	</array>

to:

Code:
    <key>MainWindowFrame</key>
    	<array>
    		<integer>[B]1000[/B]</integer>
    		<integer>474</integer>
    		<integer>834</integer>
    		<integer>704</integer>
    	</array>

That finally did the trick!!!

maestro72x

macrumors newbie
Sep 12, 2009
Iphone/Ipad

If you have an Ipad/or iphone you can use the app Airdisplay and find the window and move it back as Airdisplay will replicate having another monitor

C-H-F

macrumors newbie
Aug 21, 2014
via display settings

This worked for me...

Settings ➛ Display ➛ Resolution = Scaled

Set to highest resolution = "more space"

My disappeared window popped back onto my desktop

gmunafo

macrumors newbie
Oct 3, 2015
I tried a lot of things mentioned here. Nothing worked so I shut down my computer and when I restarted it all my windows were gathered.

kubajz896

macrumors newbie
Jan 17, 2013
If anyone still in 2017 have problem with this try cmd+option+shift while starting the app. This will reset window app to fit your resolution. For me many other tips didn't work.

llybeck

macrumors newbie
Jun 26, 2017
I have struggled with this issue for years, but accidentally found a quick resolution for the case where an application window is partially off the top of the screen with the top bar hidden. Most of the suggested work-arounds here and elsewhere, while appreciated, all seem annoying involved. I have found for the case where the top bar is hidden if I right-click in the offending window, it will immediately re-justify itself into the monitor frame.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.