Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maddykotagiri

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 21, 2014
Hello everyone I'm having some problem with my MacBook pro after I updated to OS X Mavericks. System got struck and I had to do force shutdown. Later when I tried to start it's just showing screen with :apple: symbol and circular progress indicator. Then I was holding command+R to reinstall OS. Then I was asked to erase the disk to Reinstall OS X through internet. Then I restarted, a folder and a question mark on it appeared on screen. Then I clicked on Reinstall OS X, It asked me to select a drive to install OS X but couldn't see any drive available. I was not able to continue from this step!! I read few forums which said it'd be problem with HDD. If it is so do I need to replace HDD with a new one? Which brand should I go for and how much it cost? I require 320GB HDD. Is it problem with HDD or something else? Any other way to fix the existing HDD and proceed?? I checked on Utilities page and couldn't find the Hard Disk now but before I was able to see the option and even erased it. What should I do to get my MacBook Pro in working condition? Help please!!

Thanks to all in advance.

asriznet

macrumors regular
Dec 21, 2013
Singapore
Hello everyone I'm having some problem with my MacBook pro after I updated to OS X Mavericks. System got struck and I had to do force shutdown. Later when I tried to start it's just showing screen with :apple: symbol and circular progress indicator. Then I was holding command+R to reinstall OS. Then I was asked to erase the disk to Reinstall OS X through internet. Then I restarted, a folder and a question mark on it appeared on screen. Then I clicked on Reinstall OS X, It asked me to select a drive to install OS X but couldn't see any drive available. I was not able to continue from this step!! I read few forums which said it'd be problem with HDD. If it is so do I need to replace HDD with a new one? Which brand should I go for and how much it cost? I require 320GB HDD. Is it problem with HDD or something else? Any other way to fix the existing HDD and proceed?? I checked on Utilities page and couldn't find the Hard Disk now but before I was able to see the option and even erased it. What should I do to get my MacBook Pro in working condition? Help please!!

First try doing SMC + NVRAM reset.

After that, check disk utility again if the HDD appears.

You probably want to run the  Hardware Test too - http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1509

There's very rare chance that it's the SATA connector, best to send in to an  store so that they can advice you what needs to be replaced.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California

It does sound like your hard drive died on you. It is possible, but less likely, that the drive cable has failed.

This WD drive would be a direct replacement.

ragu

macrumors member
Sep 8, 2009
would have got more replies if you posted in proper forum this is for desktops:cool:

illusionx

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2014
Brossard, QC
Why would you want to keep the same size hdd though? A 500gb or 1tb drive would be faster due to data density.

Anyways, from the description, it does sound like the hdd had failed.. AASP or the Genius Bar should diagnose this for free.

brand

macrumors 601
Oct 3, 2006
would have got more replies if you posted in proper forum this is for desktops:cool:

Technically this forum is for the Mac Pro. The iMac and Mac Mini are also desktops but are not part of this forum since they are not a Mac Pro.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.