Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

razzydazzle99

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 16, 2011
Hi everyone... long, long time lurker on these forums.

A recent change in my regular usage (more travel, more data use, more talk time) etc, has forced me to look for a car charger. I've never had to do this before, but now I give in.

So.... what is the best car charger? Generally I buy OEM only items. I will never buy that cheap plastic Chinese **** on ebay or amazon. Not taking any chances with a $400 device.

What I liked were those little Belkin USB ash tray plugs that had a little USB port in it. But really though, I don't care. Just want what is reliable, and safe for my phone.

I am open to any ideas or questions, thanks experts.

(Use iPhone 4, verizon)

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
THere are plenty of reliable options out there. I strongly suggest paying close attention to the current supplied by the charger or else you may end up draining the battery if you're not supplying enough.

srowndedbyh2o

macrumors regular
Mar 28, 2009
Hawaii
If you have an AUX port in your car, the Kensington 2-in-1 Charger and AUX Audio Cable works great! It keeps your iPhone charged and all your music, podcasts etc. come through your car speakers with excellent sound. Mine is several years old and I’ve never had a problem with it. It also comes with an additional extension cable so if your power port and AUX port are in different locations, it will still reach. The only thing I don’t like is that for some reason, phone calls don’t come through your car speakers. Like I said, mine is several years old and they may have improved on that by now.

Attachments

• AUX1.jpg
    AUX1.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 474
  • AUX2.jpg
    AUX2.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 381

d0ster

macrumors regular
May 3, 2011
I have a Griffin iTrip charger I picked up at a VZW store. The thing is great. You download their free app and can listen to music without an AUX cable, its over FM, all while charging.

310Titan

macrumors member
Oct 11, 2011
I've been using the one I bought at AT&T 2years ago when I bought my 3GS

It's the AT&T brand and has a USB port as well

phassat

macrumors member
Dec 19, 2010
I have a Griffin Powerjolt for 2 years + now and it's been used for my iPhone 3G, 3GS and iphone 4.

However, about 1 month ago, on a sudden my iPhone 4 was loosing signal and it said to restore then activate on itunes. After I tried, it say it won't activate and I need to bring it to the nearest Apple but my country doesn't have any.

So, I bring it to the local repair shop and they said it is the NOR flash that broken and they wouldn't be able to fix it cause it is hard-coded by apple. So... I'm screwed...

Then I bought another iPhone 4 but CDMA this time (previous one was GSM). Today, when I was driving around and charge my iPhone, I put that in the car's tray below while prior I would normally put them on the car holder that attached to the air con.

I just realized that my iPhone 4 was very hot... I guess I didn't feel the heat cause previously it was always kept in front of air-con if I charge in car.

Now, I really thing that this charger might be the culprit that broke my previous iphone.

TJ61

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2011
I have a Griffin Powerjolt for 2 years + now and it's been used for my iPhone 3G, 3GS and iphone 4.

[...]

Now, I really thing that this charger might be the culprit that broke my previous iphone.

If you're handy, and have the equipment, you could check if the Powerjolt is passing the 12V from the auxiliary circuit (failure of the 5V regulator). But, it is not uncommon for the iPhone to get a little warm while charging, especially if you're using power-intensive apps (gps, etc.).

I'm especially curious as I use a couple Griffin Powerjolts, and just recommended them a few minutes ago in another thread.

Regards,
Tom

allapon

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2012
Bangkok, Thailand
Just install ProClip Center Mount with Case - Adjustable Holder with Tilt Swivel and Pass-Through Connector on my Prius 2011, I used it with Radtech Procable Line out with Belkin Micro USB connected with Line out and 12 V in mid-armrest.

It is easy to install - only 5 mins and It should be strong enough to hold my iPhone even if I didn't use double-sided tape that they provide.

Attachments

• IMG_0181.jpg
    IMG_0181.jpg
    241.9 KB · Views: 273

BigSaintDogs

macrumors member
Aug 13, 2011
Rhode Island, USA
I just bought the cheapest 10W dual USB 12VDC accessory connection I could find and use an Apple 30 Pin/USB Cable with it. I have a 4S and my GF has a 5 so we each can charge off the same connection. Works great.

kogan21

macrumors newbie
Aug 22, 2013
go for SWIFT by winnergear

you can definitely trust the SWIFT car charger ... best part about it is that the body is made from 1 piece ( all my previous ones are broken in different places ) also it charges with 4.2a so you can use with iphone and ipad as well in the same time...

7r6n.jpg

Check it here :

http://amzn.to/1a7KftB

whitete

macrumors member
Oct 7, 2011
Virginia
best Iphone Car charger?

I'm with Zman, Anker is the way to go as far as price, quality and customer service.

Last edited:

Zmanbaseball2

macrumors 68040
Aug 24, 2012
New York, USA
My charger is Avantek. Perfect for our needs as I have an Android and she an iPhone. Picked up a second unit as our new car has 2 accessory charge ports. Charges fast and accurately without issue. I highly recommend for anyone seeking a fast, versatile & reliable charger for their vehicle.

It's so bulky. Please stop posting about Avantek everywhere.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.