Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bob Coffin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 21, 2014
Nova Scotia, canada
I am having difficulty viewing and developing RAW IMAGES in Lightroom 5 taken on my Sony Digital camera. I have downloaded the Sony software on to my MBP but it still will not show they .raw file.

someoneoutthere

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2014
Someplaceoutthere
I am having difficulty viewing and developing RAW IMAGES in Lightroom 5 taken on my Sony Digital camera. I have downloaded the Sony software on to my MBP but it still will not show they .raw file.

This may or may not be related but... The RAW photos I took with my Canon were imported as JPEG files the very FIRST time I simply connected the camera via USB. I believe I happened to use iPhoto in that particular instance.
Then, I learned how to use image capture [search it on spotlight], it shows and imports your RAW photos in RAW format. Ever since I have this peace of mind.
When you import your RAW photos to your MBP, simply open LR5 and once again import those aforementioned RAW photos there.
It should work just fine.
PS: If you don't want to store the originals on your MBP [i.e. on an external hdd], SMART PREVIEW as you are importing on LR5 is your best friend.
Hope this helps, best.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.