Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Infinitewisdom

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2012
Basically what people who find tablets useful seem to be saying is that there are many instances where they prefer doing their phone or laptop activities on a screen size of about 7-10" either because of convenience or portability or both. So no, tablets aren't useless, it just really depends on what your needs are.

For me, I can go weeks without picking up a tablet and the tablet to me is nothing more than a media player and big Internet device. And the thing is it works beautifully as such. So that's why we keep one around.

AndreaTa

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2012
It's not useless, but I only use it to read and reply mail, read books... Sometimes I play game on it...

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
I mostly prefer my Mini for browsing. Sometimes I'm at the tele, sometimes I'm in bed, and sometimes I'm sitting on the floor with the dogs. Its just more convenient. However, my old MBP is def easier for watching Hulu because its more stable.

s2mikey

Suspended
Sep 23, 2013
Upstate, NY
They're too big and awkward to use after using a smart phone. Being able to do everything one-handed is a huge convenience, and the only comfortable way to use a touch screen.

That'd be fine except you can't see a damned thing on a tiny phone screen. :D

gwsat

macrumors 68000
Apr 12, 2008
Tulsa
That'd be fine except you can't see a damned thing on a tiny phone screen. :D

Yeah, I was out to dinner with my daughter and son and law this evening. While we were out, I tried to do a super-simple search on my iPhone 5 and the exercise made me crazy. If I had been able to use my iPad Retina instead, I would have had my answer in a jiffy and my digestion would have been improved, to boot. :)

mgs315

macrumors member
Apr 28, 2011
Thought tablets were useless until I tried my mates 1st gen iPad for a few hours.

Decided to buy an iPad 2 at launch off the back of that experience. I haven't looked back since. It's replaced most of my usual home based PC usage.

So yes I used to think they were, definitely don't think that now.

Amplelink

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2012
I think there something to be said for stalling iPad sales. Tablets just aren't compelling devices the way that full blown computers and phones are. Sure, there are some folks who use their tablets as a primary computer, but for most of us it's really just a convenient but unnecessary device to have. It does a few things really well and we keep it around for that reason.

tdale

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2013
Christchurch, N.Z.
I think there something to be said for stalling iPad sales. Tablets just aren't compelling devices the way that full blown computers and phones are. Sure, there are some folks who use their tablets as a primary computer, but for most of us it's really just a convenient but unnecessary device to have. It does a few things really well and we keep it around for that reason.

Yep. Perfect in some scenarios. iOS8 will change this somewhat. I could replace my 5S with a 5.5 but too big, especially as a 5.5 iPhone will be much bigger then every other on the market. Or, I may get an iPad Mini for phablet use, as it will soon be able to be used for telco calls, SMS, as well as iMessage. a 7.9 phablet is big, but at least I can use it when suits, or use my 5S when suits.

sarahragan2014

macrumors newbie
Jul 8, 2014
Carson City
I really like iPads, but I just don't really use them a lot. They're 'fun' on vacation for reading, watching a movie and playing games, but at home I rarely use them. My Mac an iPhone are keepers, the iPad just feels like a toy to me (and you can't say I didn't try )

Fzang

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2013
Useless? Not at all! For reading paper material (ugh, scientific papers. Some people could feel trucks with all the paper they print) and drawing my mini is invaluable :D

Attachments

• 4dba16dc2b088e2d3c8d169d58814b30.png
    4dba16dc2b088e2d3c8d169d58814b30.png
    212.6 KB · Views: 110
  • b5ce00ac833f8ffef6278847c5eec56c.png
    b5ce00ac833f8ffef6278847c5eec56c.png
    370.2 KB · Views: 117

Billy95Tech

Suspended
Apr 18, 2014
Unless someone releases a 7.9-9.7" 4:3 phone

That is never going to happen..........!!
Why on earth manufacturers would want to make a giant and very big phone??
a 5inch phone like a Galaxy S5 is big enough for a phone.

Anyway Tablets(including hybrids) will ALWAYS have a PLACE despite the sales are falling and growth is stalling at the moment....

People will ALWAYS have and use tablets for casual use and for business use and advanced heavy tasks like Video editing and there is going to be lots more people who are going to have tablets(including hybrids) as there only computer and replaced there laptop.

Last edited:

UBS28

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2012
Useless? Not at all! For reading paper material (ugh, scientific papers. Some people could feel trucks with all the paper they print) and drawing my mini is invaluable :D

Do you use a pen or did you do that with your finger?

s2mikey

Suspended
Sep 23, 2013
Upstate, NY
Really? what microscopic sized phone are you using?

I don't. That's my point. Phones are for calling people and sending quick texts. After that, they are too small and useless. :D

Yeah, I was out to dinner with my daughter and son and law this evening. While we were out, I tried to do a super-simple search on my iPhone 5 and the exercise made me crazy. If I had been able to use my iPad Retina instead, I would have had my answer in a jiffy and my digestion would have been improved, to boot. :)

See what I mean? Watching people fumble with phones in public trying to do "something useful" with them is hilarious. I suppose taking pics is good with phones but that's it.

petvas

macrumors 603
Jul 20, 2006
Munich, Germany
I don't. That's my point. Phones are for calling people and sending quick texts. After that, they are too small and useless. :D

See what I mean? Watching people fumble with phones in public trying to do "something useful" with them is hilarious. I suppose taking pics is good with phones but that's it.

I don't agree at all. Smartphones have come a long way and they are certainly very capable. Texting and calling is a function that any phone has, even feature phones..Nobody needs a smartphone for calling and texting only. Smartphones have become our personal assistant, helping us in almost everything we do. A big screen smartphone has many more advantages than you think.
People can enjoy videos on the big screen, surf the Internet, use productivity apps and also play games. A tablet can certainly do all of the above, but why have two devices if your smartphone can already cover your needs already?
Having said that, there are certainly use cases for tablets too.
Smartphones are of course no laptops and will never replace them.. Nobody can work with a Smartphone and write a big document on it for example. Smartphones help us be more productive and that is why phablets have become so successful.

AFEPPL

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2014
England
it all very subjective.

I'm pretty sure most people use whatever is to hand at the time.. Arguably the iPads time has come and gone (based on the declining sales data from apple), but given the choice would you rather look at a website on a 13" screen, an 11" screen or an 6" screen? Which would you rather carry around in your pocket to the local shops the same 13" screen, an 11" screen or an 6" screen?

I hardly ever use the iPad, its mainly used while traveling the airports or on the aircraft. i only surf or look at the internet on the phone if i need to find something out or send emails - no way would i even contemplate trying to use it as an only device sat at home. but at the same time id never carry around an iPad or mac book with me which I'm going about my daily life....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.