Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Pieman71

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 18, 2014
Hi

First post on here as not currently a Mac owner, as the family PC is dying I'm about to move into the mysterious world of Apple!

Narrowed my choice down to the entry model 15" Retina MBP, main use out of the ordinary will be (amateur) photo editing & a bit of MS Office, browsing, music streaming etc.

My local official reseller is offloading their stock of the recently outdated "2013" models, for a discount of £300 ($500) and they've reserved one for me.

Before I go to pick it up, I'm wondering if I'm making a mistake and whether I should go for the new model - essentially for the 16Gb RAM over the 8Gb (as everything else is essentially the same). £300 seems a lot for memory but it could be a false economy without an option to upgrade.

The salesperson assures me 8Gb is ample but reading around I see people who noticed a considerable slow down on 4Gb machines when Mavericks came out so I don't want to end up regretting it as soon as Yosemite (or whatever's next) comes out.

Thoughts & opinions welcome . . . thanks!

Pieman71

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 18, 2014
thanks, that's a good affirmation

the link takes me to a Poll for "What is your reaction to the news of Disney buying Pixar?" . . . is that what you meant?

cheers

pgiguere1

macrumors 68020
May 28, 2009
Montreal, Canada
The 15" rMBP didn't evolve that much since its launch. I suggest getting an older model and saving. Even a 2012 model is still very good. For $500 off I'd definitely pick a 2013 over a 2014.

8GB is fine assuming you don't do really heavy stuff with your Mac (video editing, coding on very large projects, several image editing software open at once, virtual machines, etc.). Mavericks really brought RAM usage down with compressed memory. When I don't have heavy apps open, I only use <2GB of compressed memory out of my 16GB.

Last edited:

bhayes444

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2013
The 15" rMBP didn't evolve that much since its launch. I suggest getting an older model and saving. Even a 2012 model is still very good. For $500 off I'd definitely pick a 2013 over a 2014.

8GB is fine assuming you don't do really heavy stuff with your Mac (video editing, coding on very large projects, several image editing software open at once, virtual machines, etc.). Mavericks really brought RAM usage down with compressed memory. When I don't have heavy apps open, I only use <2GB of compressed memory out of my 16GB.

I +1 this wholeheartedly. I purchased a refurb 2012 last year and it is still working flawlessly. I luckily got 16GB of RAM when I had only purchased the refurb with 8, and I don't ever notice any memory issues. 8GB of RAM would've been fine and dandy for my use case: gaming, web browsing, video encoding, other little things. Mavericks really does help with the RAM usage a lot.

ABC5S

Suspended
Sep 10, 2013
Florida
I have 8GB on two Apple systems, one being the Mid 2014 Macbook Pro retina, and never have needed more for my needs so pooie to the sales rep on that remark. If you do a lot of VM than perhaps 16 GB would be a good upgrade, but the price is way up there.

PS: I have Mavericks and no slow downs noticed for me.

airdrop

Cancelled
Oct 1, 2011
I would definitely go for 2014 coz the 16gb (for me essential), plus a better cpu (slightly, i know, but ... still). If you have budget, buy newer.

capathy21

macrumors 65816
Jun 16, 2014
Houston, Texas
The salesperson assures me 8Gb is ample

They were right.

but reading around I see people who noticed a considerable slow down on 4Gb machines when Mavericks came out so I don't want to end up regretting it as soon as Yosemite (or whatever's next) comes out.

I have a 4GB model and can assure you it blazes through anything I throw at it. If users are having slow downs, it isn't due to their ram unless they are running certain programs in which case it wouldn't be due to the OS upgrade.

TechZeke

macrumors 68020
Jul 29, 2012
Dallas, TX
8GB is fine assuming you don't do really heavy stuff with your Mac (video editing, coding on very large projects, several image editing software open at once, virtual machines, etc.)

Actually, all of this can be done on 8GB with ease, especially on mavericks.

yjchua95

macrumors 604
Apr 23, 2011
GVA, KUL, MEL (current), ZQN
Actually, all of this can be done on 8GB with ease, especially on mavericks.

I can easily chew through 16GB of RAM when doing 4K video editing and having 3 VMs running at the same time.

Having 3 VMs running is my regular workload, with 6GB assigned to the Windows Server VM and 4GB assigned to the each of the other two Linux VMs.

Meister

Suspended
Oct 10, 2013
I can easily chew through 16GB of RAM when doing 4K video editing and having 3 VMs running at the same time.

Having 3 VMs running is my regular workload, with 6GB assigned to the Windows Server VM and 4GB assigned to the each of the other two Linux VMs.
that is very interessting, but how is that related to this thread?

MCAsan

macrumors 601
Jul 9, 2012
Atlanta
that is very interessting, but how is that related to this thread?

Not. OP said "main use out of the ordinary will be (amateur) photo editing & a bit of MS Office, browsing, music streaming etc.".

8GB will be a gracious plenty for the stated use case.

GoneDrinkin

macrumors regular
Jul 5, 2014
I just ordered the 2013 refurbished 13".

There's really **** all difference between the 2014 and 2013 models, so I saved a fair bit as a result!

Pieman71

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 18, 2014
Thanks for all the posts, saved the cash and have juat picked up the 8Gb

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.