Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SteelBlueTJ

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 2, 2012
USA
There's a local computer place that is selling a used 23" Apple cinema display. Its the aluminum type. They are asking $200 for it. Would it be a good deal or is that too much? It isn't in the best of shape either, it has a small scratch on the screen that isn't really noticeable once its on. The bezel is knicked up in a few spots too. I mainly was considering it to use as a secondary screen with my 27" iMac. I would love to eventually get a thunderbolt display, but just don't have all the funds for that at the moment. Thoughts?

gbkrip

macrumors member
Aug 17, 2011
Nebraska
There's a local computer place that is selling a used 23" Apple cinema display. Its the aluminum type. They are asking $200 for it. Would it be a good deal or is that too much? It isn't in the best of shape either, it has a small scratch on the screen that isn't really noticeable once its on. The bezel is knicked up in a few spots too. I mainly was considering it to use as a secondary screen with my 27" iMac. I would love to eventually get a thunderbolt display, but just don't have all the funds for that at the moment. Thoughts?

I wouldn't buy a 23" cinema display for $200. If you can negotiate a lower price, then maybe. There are Korean monitors which are very tempting.

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
For something like this, you must may compare the asking price with the sale price from other vendors. Respected Mac/Used Mac vendor PowerMax sells used 23" Apple Cinema HD Displays for $300. Heck, it sells admittedly damaged 23" Apple Cinema HD Displays for $170. At $200, your seller's price is not a steal, but it is a fairly good deal. This does not mean that you actually want to pay $200 for a used display. However, it appears that a lot of buyers are willing to pay that or more.

glenthompson

macrumors demi-god
Apr 27, 2011
Virginia

I would, and have, bought one but would not pay that much. I bought one a year ago for $140 and got another one recently included with a Mac Pro 3,1 for $550 total. I got both of mine off Craigslist.

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
Don't know if I would buy one today, but am still using mine that I got in 2003. Still looks great compared to other monitors. It was really expensive when I got it and I had second thoughts - but I think I've gotten my money's worth over the years. :)

When it finally dies, I will probably get a Thunderbolt display.

SteelBlueTJ

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 2, 2012
USA
I have decided not to get the older 23" cinema, but instead, I am about to pull the trigger on a refurb 27" thunderbolt display. Should I go for it or wait? Do you recommend waiting at least until the September 9th event just in case a new display is announced/released? Even if a new thunderbolt display is announced with higher resolution, I don't have any intentions of getting that since my new iMac is still 2560x1440. I want my monitors to all have the same resolutions. If they do release a new display, maybe, just maybe the current models will drop in price a little. If so, how low would you expect them to go down in price? The refurbs go for $799 US. Not sure what to do. Any advice is appreciated, thanks.

theluggage

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2011
I have decided not to get the older 23" cinema, but instead, I am about to pull the trigger on a refurb 27" thunderbolt display. Should I go for it or wait? Do you recommend waiting at least until the September 9th event just in case a new display is announced/released?

Basic rule: if you need it, get it. If you don't need it, wait.

Nobody can tell you what will happen on Sept 9th, but in the past, September "events" have normally been all about mobile devices so, frankly, I'd be surprised if any new Mac stuff is launched.

To quote Mac Rumor's own roundup page, "there are still no concrete rumors suggesting when Apple will update its displays." It's entirely possible that they've decided to get out of the display market. I can't shake the feeling that, if they were going to produce an updated 27" Thunderbolt display to match the current iMac design, they'd have done so by now, and any new display is going to be 4k or "retina". That, in turn, might wait until the whole Mac range has TB2 and a retina-capable GPU. My money would still be on a 21" UHD 'retina' iMac that may or may not be followed by a matching display - but not until the next gen of Intel chips are out.

SteelBlueTJ

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 2, 2012
USA
What about the 27" LED Cinema Display - The Non-Thunderbolt version? Would that still be worth say $600 even if it is 3-4 years old now? I've been looking at them on eBay and they all pretty much go for $500-$600. I don't really use or need thunderbolt or firewire. How long are they expected to last? Is it worth it to spend $500 on a 4 year old apple display as long as it was well cared for?

MCAsan

macrumors 601
Jul 9, 2012
Atlanta
Depends on which Mac you will using in the next couple of years. If I had a Mac that can do TB, I would want a Thunderbolt display, not a cinema display using only display port. The convenience of the built in TB docking and charging station for MacBooks is wonderful.

You can now get 4K monitors in the $500 range. Even if you can not drive 4K streams today, likely your next Mac will be capable. So use the monitor for lesser resolution today and 4K with the next Mac.

Examine your plan for an evolving Apple ecosystem over the next couple of years and see how a cinema display, vs a TB display vs 4K play into plans for a new Mac.

SteelBlueTJ

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 2, 2012
USA
Depends on which Mac you will using in the next couple of years. If I had a Mac that can do TB, I would want a Thunderbolt display, not a cinema display using only display port. The convenience of the built in TB docking and charging station for MacBooks is wonderful.

You can now get 4K monitors in the $500 range. Even if you can not drive 4K streams today, likely your next Mac will be capable. So use the monitor for lesser resolution today and 4K with the next Mac.

Examine your plan for an evolving Apple ecosystem over the next couple of years and see how a cinema display, vs a TB display vs 4K play into plans for a new Mac.

I plan on using it as a secondary monitor next to my late-2013 iMac. Like, I said, I don't use the Thunderbolt ports since I have no thunderbolt peripherals. Other than future proofing, would there be any other reason to get the thunderbolt display over the cinema display? The cinema displays are a little cheaper on the used market compared to a thunderbolt display. I don't work or make a living on my machine. I just want some added screen real-estate when multiple windows are open like safari, iTunes, mail etc. I get tired of having to minimize everything all the time.

MCAsan

macrumors 601
Jul 9, 2012
Atlanta
Does you iMac do TB or display port out?

If TB, how do you plan to connect a display port cinema display? Can the cinema display take a TB connection?

If display port, how did you plan to connect a thunderbolt display? Will a TB display accept a display port connection?

Sorry just thinking out load so as not to paint anyone into a corner.

Last edited:

SteelBlueTJ

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 2, 2012
USA
Does you iMac do TB or display port out?

If TB, how do you plan to connect a display port cinema display? Can the cinema display take a TB connection?

If display port, how did you plan to connect a thunderbolt display? Will a TB display accept a display port connection?

Sorry just thinking out load so as not to paint anyone into a corner.

I'm pretty sure all cinema displays are compatible with the latest thunderbolt macs. The mini-display port looks identical to thunderbolt except it is not thunderbolt. Both the Thunderbolt and non-thunderbolt displays will work with thunderbolt equipped Macs. Its the older non-thunderbolt macs that can't use the actual thunderbolt display. My application of a 2013 iMac has thunderbolt, so I should be able to use either display. All I was asking was if you think it would be worth it to pay $500 for an older 27" display vs paying $200-$300 more for a thunderbolt.

cebseb

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2011
I'm pretty sure all cinema displays are compatible with the latest thunderbolt macs. The mini-display port looks identical to thunderbolt except it is not thunderbolt. Both the Thunderbolt and non-thunderbolt displays will work with thunderbolt equipped Macs. Its the older non-thunderbolt macs that can't use the actual thunderbolt display. My application of a 2013 iMac has thunderbolt, so I should be able to use either display. All I was asking was if you think it would be worth it to pay $500 for an older 27" display vs paying $200-$300 more for a thunderbolt.

I definitely think its worth spending $500 for the older 27" unless you plan on daisy chaining... Then that's a different story.

Now if I were to get two displays, I would get a thunderbolt capable one and the older model. The older model can just be at the end of the daisy chain and function perfectly fine.

MCAsan

macrumors 601
Jul 9, 2012
Atlanta
Unless I read the stuff below incorrectly ( always a possibility), you can not run a TB cable from your iMac or a TB display to a cinema display that does only display port and not TB.

http://appleinsider.com/articles/11...t_display_will_not_daisy_chain_cinema_display

24. Can I connect my Mini DisplayPort monitor or monitor using a Mini DisplayPort adapter to my Apple Thunderbolt Display?

Mini DisplayPort Monitors or Monitors connecting with Mini DisplayPort adapters will not function when connected through a Thunderbolt Display. They must be connected directly to the Thunderbolt port on the computer or to a non-display device as indicated above.
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5219#22

cebseb

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2011
Unless I read the stuff below incorrectly ( always a possibility), you can not run a TB cable from your iMac or a TB display to a cinema display that does only display port and not TB.

http://appleinsider.com/articles/11...t_display_will_not_daisy_chain_cinema_display

24. Can I connect my Mini DisplayPort monitor or monitor using a Mini DisplayPort adapter to my Apple Thunderbolt Display?

Mini DisplayPort Monitors or Monitors connecting with Mini DisplayPort adapters will not function when connected through a Thunderbolt Display. They must be connected directly to the Thunderbolt port on the computer or to a non-display device as indicated above.
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5219#22

You are correct, but if you did further digging, you will see plenty of users placing a thunderbolt device (be it soundcard, hardrive, hub, etc) between the two monitors and have everything functioning perfectly fine.

MCAsan

macrumors 601
Jul 9, 2012
Atlanta
Cool.

If you did not have those other TB devices, and you wanted a second Apple display hanging off the TB equipped iMac, then a TB display seems the likely choice.

cebseb

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2011
Cool.

If you did not have those other TB devices, and you wanted a second Apple display hanging off the TB equipped iMac, then a TB display seems the likely choice.

Yep, that's why it's important for the OP to make up his/her mind right now about the possibility of a second screen.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.