Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheMTtakeover

macrumors 6502
Aug 3, 2011
It isn't just the interface, it's the features. Yosemite is beginning to scare me. If the new OS breaks iWork '09, I will be unable to buy any new Macs, maybe ever, as I am highly dependent on Pages 4.1, and it looks like feature parity is pretty much a lost cause.

What's got you stuck on an old version of iWork?

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
All of the functions that are missing from the current version. There are long lists of functions and features that are missing from the latest version. Something as simple as linked text boxes in Pages is gone. What was once something that could easily replace MS Word & Publisher for most people has been gutted out to be little more than MS WordPad.

TheMTtakeover

macrumors 6502
Aug 3, 2011
All of the functions that are missing from the current version. There are long lists of functions and features that are missing from the latest version. Something as simple as linked text boxes in Pages is gone. What was once something that could easily replace MS Word & Publisher for most people has been gutted out to be little more than MS WordPad.

Can you switch over to MS Office or Neo?

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
Can you switch over to MS Office or Neo?

Only if I want massive headaches.

I realize not a lot of people were using iWork before Apple started giving it away, and even fewer appreciated its unique features, but those of us who were and do, aren't in any hurry to downgrade to something less useful, and blow up our workflow besides.

CmdrLaForge

macrumors 601
Feb 26, 2003
around the world
It isn't just the interface, it's the features. Yosemite is beginning to scare me. If the new OS breaks iWork '09, I will be unable to buy any new Macs, maybe ever, as I am highly dependent on Pages 4.1, and it looks like feature parity is pretty much a lost cause.

What are you missing ? I can say that I really enjoy the new interface an work a lot now in Numbers and Pages.

What makes me kind of angry with Apple is the fact that new versions do not open document I saved with Pages and Numbers from 2008. I just recently found this. Basically I have to install 09 again to bring the document to format 09 and then the latest versions are again able to open the docs.

What could happen if you wait to long and another new versions comes along you are forever stuck in Pages 09

Nevaborn

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2013
Pages is still a joke. Until it can do everything Word can then it will never beat it. I could not use pages for work as it simply lacks functionality. Apple promised loads of updated features the end of last year but have not delivered so far.

szw-mapple fan

macrumors 68040
Jul 28, 2012
Downgrading the OS to below what a Mac came with isn't supported by Apple and might not always work, or it could work but have problems.

Yeah but I managed to downgrade a friend's computer who installed Yosemite over Mavericks, instead of on a separate partition.

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
Any chance of seeing some... um... old features anytime soon Apple? I can't do my writing in Pages the way it is, I may as well use TextEdit.

MacGizmo

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2003
Arizona
I love the new Pages interface - but some of the missing features are quite annoying.

I get that Apple is trying to tie the desktop, iOS and web versions relatively up-to-date with each other as far as features, but simple text box linking shouldn't take this long to get put back in.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here

Sracer is right. iWork was a powerful, albeit dated, software package. I simply loved Pages '09 (4.3). I used it for publishing needs, graduated work, and undergraduate research proposals. True, MS Word had more features and better integration with third party software like Endnote, but it was never that user friendly and I was able to be more efficient in Pages due to its simply interface, but powerful feature set (Inspector). I never bothered to learn Nimbers since I would use Excel in accounting so much.

iWork was a niche Office contender. I was so hoping that Apple would finally bring it up to date, but instead they rebuilt it with iOS in mind and took away several of the Mac features. Don't get me wrong, compatibly and consistent feature set with iOS is very nice, but Apple again played to the general consumer. They created what looks like a tablet app on the desktop. I hate the large, obnoxious sidebar that only shows "relevant" tools instead of all features like the old Inspector. But I would bend to the new UI if some of the features (even basic ones like showing two pages at the same time) were gone. AND it "updated" Pages 09 documents and lost backward compatibility. What's even sadder is that Microsoft managed to bring office to the iPad without taking away desktop features. They will build the tablet versions up instead of tearing the desktop versions down.

The fact that Apple kept the old versions in an update shows that they knew how old users would feel, that just isn't something Apple usually does. And like some one on this forum said, I don't think Apple ever intended to match its predecessor and add back new features. They only announced that intent after so much outcry. I sincerely hope Word 2014/2015 is a fluid piece of software. If it matches Word and Excel for windows I will most like leave iwork 09 behind. It was great software, but is dead now. This just the new Apple. I don't fault them for appealing to the masses, that's where they make most of their money, but Apple was a niche company for so long and now they moving to a masses only company. Killing Aperture, iWork, all the Facebook and Twitter in your face in both of their OSes, hiding the Library folder. *sigh*

CmdrLaForge

macrumors 601
Feb 26, 2003
around the world
Pages is still a joke. Until it can do everything Word can then it will never beat it. I could not use pages for work as it simply lacks functionality. Apple promised loads of updated features the end of last year but have not delivered so far.

Actually I am pretty happy that Pages cannot do everything Word can as I assume it would be the same crap then.

I really do not like Word. Excel yes. Excel is by far the best Microsoft product. But Word? Not for me.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
Any chance of seeing some... um... old features anytime soon Apple? I can't do my writing in Pages the way it is, I may as well use TextEdit.

TextEdit is nicer than you think ;), but I get your point. Also, the new Pages can't open as many formats as Pages 09, such as rtfd I believe.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012

I'm likely going to be jumped on for saying this....

Pages is no Word, doesn't have all the features, but it is one of the best simple Word Processors I have ever used. For my needs, it's become more than enough (as I don't need to have the cool paper-writing features of Office anymore).

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
I'm likely going to be jumped on for saying this....

Pages is no Word, doesn't have all the features, but it is one of the best simple Word Processors I have ever used. For my needs, it's become more than enough (as I don't need to have the cool paper-writing features of Office anymore).

The new Pages or Pages '09?

And I agree with you. It is the best simple woe processor I've used. Sometimes Word is just too much.

octothorpe8

macrumors 6502
Feb 27, 2014

Same here, with Keynote. I use it in a professional setting alongside Adobe Illustrator. In iWork 09, you could actually paste directly from Illustrator into Keynote and get a perfect vector object. You could also paste *back* into Illustrator, edit your type, and paste it back into Keynote and have the type render correctly in vector even without the font installed. They broke all of that at some point.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
What are you missing ? I can say that I really enjoy the new interface an work a lot now in Numbers and Pages.

What makes me kind of angry with Apple is the fact that new versions do not open document I saved with Pages and Numbers from 2008. I just recently found this. Basically I have to install 09 again to bring the document to format 09 and then the latest versions are again able to open the docs.

What could happen if you wait to long and another new versions comes along you are forever stuck in Pages 09

Just about everything that made it superior to the competition. Lists of the dozens of deleted Pages features can be found easily, but the ones that matter to me the most are linked text boxes and creating templates with section insertions. But the very worst thing about Apple's downgrading of Pages is that opening older documents in the new version autosaves them in the new version, permanently destroying the original formatting.

I am already stuck in Pages '09. Apple turned the most dedicated users of this product into orphans.

----------

No, it is a joke now. Before this latest version it was a very powerful and useful product. The fact that not a lot of people made the effort to find out what it could do does not make them informed judges.

mryingster

macrumors 6502
Feb 1, 2013
California
Yeah but I managed to downgrade a friend's computer who installed Yosemite over Mavericks, instead of on a separate partition.

That's a completely different issue. Of course you can install an older OS or "downgrade" an OS on a machine. Your friend's computer didn't ship with Yosemite, so there is no problem.

The problem is that when you buy a new computer with a new Intel chipset, or some new piece of hardware that Apple has never had to support before, it can be difficult to install an older OS than the one that it shipped with due to missing components/libraries to support the new hardware.

tubular

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2011
I miss the ability to save to HTML from Pages -- it generated clean HTML, not Word-spewed-gnarly-mess HTML. TextEdit still has that; I hope it works its way back into Pages.

PocketSand11

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2014
~/
Actually I am pretty happy that Pages cannot do everything Word can as I assume it would be the same crap then.

I really do not like Word. Excel yes. Excel is by far the best Microsoft product. But Word? Not for me.

Keynote '09 seemed to do everything PowerPoint could do and more, and it was still really simple and reliable. Pages probably would be a little bloated with the huge number of MS Word features, but I think it would still be better. Anyway, the only Word feature I've been missing in Pages is the outline list editor. Pages can do outlined lists but only with minimal customization, and it's impossible to use the standard "I,A,1,a" outline.

Lots of people seem to agree about Excel. It's the only Microsoft software I use, and I consider it their best. Numbers is really weak. Whenever I try to use it, I have to move over to Excel eventually when it's missing a formula or can't draw the kind of chart trend line I want to use.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
Lots of people seem to agree about Excel. It's the only Microsoft software I use, and I consider it their best. Numbers is really weak. Whenever I try to use it, I have to move over to Excel eventually when it's missing a formula or can't draw the kind of chart trend line I want to use.

I agree. When I first moved to Mac I was ambitious to learn Numbers. I had used Excel a little (I was in high school), but nothing too in-depth so I was coming with pretty much a clean slate, if you will. I just found it awkward and tedious to use. It couldn't even easily do things like double underlines.

But what made me stop trying is the simple realization that I would be using Excel my whole life (I'm an accounting major). I've had Excel projects with V-Lookup, pivot tables, Macros, etc. I just figured "why waste time learning Numbers when I can just take that time to better learn Excel."

My only problem now is trying to learn both Mac and Windows Excel. The Mac version is incredibly weak, I desperately hope that they completely revamp it to give it feature parity and similar design to the Windows version.

Sandy Santra

macrumors 6502
Feb 1, 2008
Brooklyn
I can live with Pages being only a shadow of its former self. What I canNOT live with is the fact that features that ARE still in Pages 5.2.2—like Edit, Substitutions, Show Substitutions, Replace (which should allow global search and replace of certain types of autocorrect punctuation)—do not work. Period.

As I prefer smart quotes, and iOS Pages has no Smart Quotes option in Settings, this has been a nightmare: there is no way to replace straight quotes with smart quotes globally in a Pages 5.x doc on the Mac side. And yes, I have sent Feedback to Apple multiple times, and called them to speak out about this many times.... It is beyond belief that a flagship product from such a huge company has features in the UI that are cosmetic only and have no functional value whatsoever. (Apparently Apple's new motto is: "If it's broke, don't fix it.") At some point I will have to return to Word, and that will entail laboriously converting most of the Pages documents I've created in the past five years.

Oddly, I actually like what Numbers has turned into.

newagemac

macrumors 68020
Mar 31, 2010
This assumes they want to ease our concerns, when what they really seem to want is for us to migrate to the new, less powerful software, and forget that we ever had something better.

Hold on now. The old Pages had some features that aren't in the new one but the new Pages runs circles around the old one when it comes to efficiency. Everything is just so much faster and easier to use and better organized. If you're not a power user or you are dependent on some particular missing feature, I do recommend the old Pages. But as a power user, there is no way I would ever use the clunky old Pages app again unless I really had to.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.