Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacSince1990

macrumors 65816
Oct 6, 2009
My Note 3 (3GB of RAM) and my Tab S 10.5 LTE (3GB of RAM) beg to disagree...

On both of them *I can actually multitask* (not to talk about the fact that Android has REAL multitasking and Samsung devices have MultiWindow capabilities...) and I can happily *keep open multiple tabs* in the browsers I use without the slightest problem and without the constant reloading and without losing zoom, position in the page and inputted data like on Apple devices.

1GB of RAM should be a deal breaker for anyone but very light users and gamers...

Did you not read through my post? 3 GB isn't possible for a single chip.

F apple FE

macrumors newbie
Dec 22, 2013
Italy
Did you not read through my post? 3 GB isn't possible for a single chip.

You can put whatever amount of RAM on a single chip. You wrote "These things increase on a binary scale (64 MB, 128 MB, 256, 512, 1 GB, 2 GB, 4 GB...)" while Samsung, for example, makes 1,5GB chips (they put it in some of their midrange smartphones and tablets, i.e. the Galaxy Mega and the Tab 3 series).

BTW, Samsung's 3GB LPDDR3 module on my Note 3 and Tab S takes the same space of a single DRAM chip and would be superficially indistinguishable.

MacSince1990

macrumors 65816
Oct 6, 2009
You can put whatever amount of RAM on a single chip. You wrote "These things increase on a binary scale (64 MB, 128 MB, 256, 512, 1 GB, 2 GB, 4 GB...)" while Samsung, for example, makes 1,5GB chips (they put it in some of their midrange smartphones and tablets, i.e. the Galaxy Mega and the Tab 3 series).

BTW, Samsung's 3GB LPDDR3 module on my Note 3 and Tab S takes the same space of a single DRAM chip and would be superficially indistinguishable.

Lies! Well, I've never heard of anyone doing it until now.

How to they accomplish this exactly? An asymmetrical chip?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.