Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MrMJS

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 11, 2014
Ohio
iMac completely froze up. It had about 100 yellow dots scattered randomly across the screen.

I rebooted and then upon start up there were about 6 to 10 yellow vertical line spaced evenly across the screen. (iMac then froze)

I then restarted in safe mode seem to fix the problem, but upon normal boot the issue returned. The iMac was very hot (more then normal). Repair center said all the fans working properly and he suspected it was a graphic card issue.

It's a 2009 iMac with i5

rkaufmann87

macrumors 68000
Dec 17, 2009
Folsom, CA
iMac completely froze up. It had about 100 yellow dots scattered randomly across the screen.

I rebooted and then upon start up there were about 6 to 10 yellow vertical line spaced evenly across the screen. (iMac then froze)

I then restarted in safe mode seem to fix the problem, but upon normal boot the issue returned. The iMac was very hot (more then normal). Repair center said all the fans working properly and he suspected it was a graphic card issue.

It's a 2009 iMac with i5

Yup, run Apple Hardware Test in extended mode 2-3 times back to back, if an error code appears that confirms the machine has some type of hardware issue that needs to be resolved.

jlabute

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2014
could be

It's a 2009 iMac with i5

I am from the PC world. Sounds like a video card issue, bus arbitration issue, or driver issue. If you have all the latest 'drivers', and it is not a heat problem. Perhaps it is the card.

MrMJS

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 11, 2014
Ohio
The machine was really hot. New gfx card is $300 but the computer is 6 years old. The tech said all the fans were working (3 total) but the heat has to be coming from somewhere.

Also, they said the power supply was buzzing.

Last edited:

MrMJS

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 11, 2014
Ohio
Put the iMac back together. Anyone seen this before? Look like gfx card issue?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 45
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.