Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

krravi

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2010
People are obsessing over one-handed use. You can't accurately zoom in on a picture (on iPhone) when holding it in one hand... It requires the pinch gesture, which is nearly impossible to achieve with the same hand you're holding the phone with.

So, for the benefits a bigger display brings, without loss of quality, I'm all for it.

After all, scrolling through music, contacts, dialling phone numbers, etc can be done on a large screen with one hand, so long as the OS scales appropriately. Can't reach the back button? There's a gesture for that.

If you're editing photos or video, working in iWork or anything like that, the chances are you're using two hands anyway.

All this discussion for a .7" increase in screen size...

People are obsessing with size because they want to be able to comfortable hold the phone.

I don't use my phone for pinching and zooming I have an iPad for that. The phone IMHO must be a phone first and the others next.

thekeyring

macrumors 68040
Jan 5, 2012
London
People are obsessing with size because they want to be able to comfortable hold the phone.

I don't use my phone for pinching and zooming I have an iPad for that. The phone IMHO must be a phone first and the others next.

True, and hopefully the 4.7 inch iPhone will fit your needs.

sixrom

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2013
My iPhone 4 is very good still, but it doesn't get anymore updates. New iPhone here I come!

The iPhones 4 & 4S I had were remarkably better for real world day to day productivity than my 5 & 5S were. Details of the technical differences aside, during the period between the intro of the first ever iPhone up to and including the 4S I had my entire family and extended family and friends enjoying iPhones.

Yet between Apple's far too minor, conservative display size increase on the iP5, and the great gains made by Samsung, we are a multiplatform group now. With at least 75% or greater, enjoying top tier Androids having left the slow, aging, profit taking Apple behind to gloat about their riches, spew hatred and vitriol while launching scud style legal attacks to show Samsung and the world how their deep pockets turned them into bullies.

For the sake of Tim Cook, whom I respect and give great credit for remaining calm cool and collected having been tasked with replacing the cult style God of Apple, I do hope these two new iPhones are more than just a thinly veiled incremental upgrades once again. Tim deserves some credit as he oversees what most certainly will be a money is no object product launch.

We all know that Apples influence as a company alone is enough to turn any object with the fruity label into a sales success, The real question is how many ex iPhone users will return for another drink of Apples never ending and extremely effective hype.

mackinmike

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2012
when android phones had 4.7 sizes, people said it's too big, blah blah blah. i want to use it with one hand.. now when apple has 4.7 sized phones, it's grrrreaaat! lol. the irony. smh.

forty2j

macrumors 68030
Jul 11, 2008
NJ
when android phones had 4.7 sizes, people said it's too big, blah blah blah. i want to use it with one hand.. now when apple has 4.7 sized phones, it's grrrreaaat! lol. the irony. smh.

Depends on who you talk to. I would have been thrilled to buy a new 4" model. Now I'm just hopeful that Apple has, through bezel reduction and whatever else, solved the pocket-size problem. It's never been about 1 handed use so much as putting giant things in my pocket for me.

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008
The irony is that I use the phone the least on the smartphone. I look for many other things first and I don't even look at the phone part of the specs.

Aniseedvan

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2012
UK

That was the point I jumped from android to the ip5. Personally found the bigger sizes too unwieldy. Plus this one fits in several places a bigger phone wouldn't (such as my knomo purse).
I just hope a lot of case manufacturers are signed into the secret and are ready close to launch day...

Cupguy

macrumors newbie
Aug 16, 2014
In 2012 we got new iPods at the iPhone event. I wonder if the same will happen this year? My guess is the venue Apple choses will clue us in to how big this event is. If they use the small auditorium on campus then it's probably just a new iPhone and nothing else.

----------
I suspect the venue is probably Flint Center at de Anza College in Cupertino (site of the 1984 introduction of the Mac by Steve Jobs). Lots of temporary structure and equipment being installed in front of the Center and locations nearby; with huge mobile generators, power cabling and AC; lots of tight-lipped hired security; and lots and lots of money being spent. Don't know who but Apple has that kind of money and is so secretive. Seating capacity is 2405.

Last edited:

Trapezoid

macrumors 65816
Mar 19, 2014

when one person said 4.7 is too big and then another completely different person said it's not, mackinmike thought they were the same person! lol. the irony. smh.

yellowtruck

macrumors regular
Aug 9, 2013
Today is 8-20-2014. Wouldnt they have anounced it by now? Could they be trying not to spook perspective buyers of the new and upcomeing items that may not be ready till 2015?

----------

----------
I suspect the venue is probably Flint Center at de Anza College in Cupertino (site of the 1984 introduction of the Mac by Steve Jobs). Lots of temporary structure and equipment being installed in front of the Center and locations nearby; with huge mobile generators, power cabling and AC; lots of tight-lipped hired security; and lots and lots of money being spent. Don't know who but Apple has that kind of money and is so secretive. Seating capacity is 2405.

REally? Updates?

briankeith513

macrumors 6502a
Feb 6, 2011
Atlanta, GA
Today is 8-20-2014. Wouldnt they have anounced it by now? Could they be trying not to spook perspective buyers of the new and upcomeing items that may not be ready till 2015?

----------

REally? Updates?

Last year, the iPhone event invitations didn't come out until September 3, then the event was on September 10th. If September 9th is the date for this year, then the invites should be out not later than September 2.

yellowtruck

macrumors regular
Aug 9, 2013
Last year, the iPhone event invitations didn't come out until September 3, then the event was on September 10th. If September 9th is the date for this year, then the invites should be out not later than September 2.

Very good to know! I see they are offering $100 gift cards with a purchase of a new mac till Sept 9th

I need a new imac soooooowah… bad! My old one broke in 2013 and I have been mowping ever since - till I got approved for an education loan in July at the apple store. Every day is a challenge not to just buy one and get it over with.
But if they upgrade to include SSD, upgrade to 16 RAM with a CPU bump at the same price rather than the extra upgrade cost of $400 i'd be mad I'm paying interest when I could have just waited.
There is no way I can make it to 2015 without a new imac though. I start school in Feb and wont have time to compose music.

Why am I telling you all this?

mackinmike

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2012
when one person said 4.7 is too big and then another completely different person said it's not, mackinmike thought they were the same person! lol. the irony. smh.

except that i'm talking about same people.. people that i know. oh the irony. assumptions are the mother of all eff-ups. smh.

Steve121178

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Bedfordshire, UK
http://www.neowin.net/news/apple-iphone-6-compared-side-by-side-with-the-iphone-5

gsmarena_003.jpg

I truly hope that's just a mock-up and not the final product :(

Suture

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2007
Looking forward to ordering the 4.7" model. It sounds like the perfect size for me. My iPhone 5 still serves me very well. Only complaints I have about it are that the battery life seems to have gone down some, and every so often I have a hard time swiping across to unlock the screen or answer a call.

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
With the 9th September event, will Apple stick to the iPhone announcement or will other products be announced? updated Macbook Airs or Macbook Pros maybe?

hamiltonDSi

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012
Romania
With the 9th September event, will Apple stick to the iPhone announcement or will other products be announced? updated Macbook Airs or Macbook Pros maybe?

Only iPhone and iOS 8.

Both MacBooks (Air & Pro) got updated this year ; the Pro was updated a couple of weeks ago and the Air at the beginning of the year.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.