Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chopper read

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 22, 2014
Hello people, have been using this website for years. I pretty much love everything apple and have owned so many different apple products through the years.

My question is, thinking of buying a 13inch air tomorrow. Will 4 gig ram be fine for pages,Safari,iTunes,messenger etc. won't ever be doing any photo/movie editing. Or should I get the upgrade and wait a week? (I don't like waiting)

Many thanks.

Ray Brady

macrumors 6502
Dec 21, 2011
For those needs, 4GB will be more than sufficient. The only recommendation I would make would be to buy a Refurb, to save some money. In either case, enjoy your new machine!

ashman70

macrumors 6502a
Dec 20, 2010
I concur, I was worried 4GB would not be enough and its plenty on my Air, for general use its fine. I also agree, refurbs are a great deal too.

Chopper read

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 22, 2014
Wicked, thanks. My wife has student id so am getting discount that way.

Cheers for the advice. Looking forward to it.

Meister

Suspended
Oct 10, 2013
Today I multitasked fcp with raw 1080i video, safari, media express, a converter, itunes, ... on a mba with 4gigs ram.
Didn't break a sweat.

For your uses 4gb is a lot.

Chopper read

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 22, 2014
Haha nice quite a lot then. I did think they wouldn't sell them with 4 gig if they needed more. I think the pros only recently changed to 8 gig.

Sorry I just meant I'm getting student discount on the rrp. Not a refurbished one.

Meister

Suspended
Oct 10, 2013
Haha nice quite a lot then. I did think they wouldn't sell them with 4 gig if they needed more. I think the pros only recently changed to 8 gig.

Sorry I just meant I'm getting student discount on the rrp. Not a refurbished one.
Also look here: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1756865/

Despite my experiences with the 4gb mba I would recommend at least 8gb for regular/extensive video editing.
Color grading even a small clip in DaVinci resolve will push 4gb ram quite high. (It also cooks your cpu)

Chopper read

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 22, 2014
So i bought a air on saturday. Love it, is great where it has the air fan holes at the back so there is never any worry about them getting blocked using it on the sofa or in bed. Ive come from using a iPad air with retina display and new it wouldn't be the same quality. It isn't but now I have sold the iPad and got used to what is still a great screen I'm really enjoying it. So you can go back once you have used retina.

Question though; was mooching around iTunes preferences and the preferred video version under playback is set to 1080p. I want to change that to 720? the screen can't play it in 1080 can it?

Thanks

Meister

Suspended
Oct 10, 2013
So i bought a air on saturday. Love it, is great where it has the air fan holes at the back so there is never any worry about them getting blocked using it on the sofa or in bed. Ive come from using a iPad air with retina display and new it wouldn't be the same quality. It isn't but now I have sold the iPad and got used to what is still a great screen I'm really enjoying it. So you can go back once you have used retina.

Question though; was mooching around iTunes preferences and the preferred video version under playback is set to 1080p. I want to change that to 720? the screen can't play it in 1080 can it?

Thanks
Congratulations! :)

You could download in 1080 and the screen will play it as good as possible.

ABC5S

Suspended
Sep 10, 2013
Florida
Hello people, have been using this website for years. I pretty much love everything apple and have owned so many different apple products through the years.

My question is, thinking of buying a 13inch air tomorrow. Will 4 gig ram be fine for pages,Safari,iTunes,messenger etc. won't ever be doing any photo/movie editing. Or should I get the upgrade and wait a week? (I don't like waiting)

Many thanks.

As mentioned, 4 gigs should be fine. I got 8 gigs and by looking at the Activity Monitor, I have never gotten up to 4 gigs with the same usage you are going to buy the system for. You should be fine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.