Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LFMS

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 20, 2014
Hi Guys,

I have a graphite Clamshell 466Mhz Firewire with 320Mb (64 + 256) of ram and I wish to upgrade to 576.
I'm currently running OS 10.4.11 and to be honest it's running pretty smoothly, but I guess that with the ram upgrade it could get even better.

I bought a kingston PC133 512 ram, however when I put it on, my computer keeps saying that I only have 320Mb and runs normally.

Can anyone tell me if I'm doing something wrong, or if there's something wrong the ram?

Thanks!:)

Louie

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
The ram may be high density. PowerPC Macs cannot use high density memory. If it is used, the machine will either report memory errors, not boot, see only half the memory's stated capacity, or not see it at all.

LFMS

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 20, 2014
The ram may be high density. PowerPC Macs cannot use high density memory. If it is used, the machine will either report memory errors, not boot, see only half the memory's stated capacity, or not see it at all.

Hi Intell,

I'm not sure if mine is a high or low density one. It's a Kingston KVR133X64SC25/512 3.3V.

Thanks!

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
The vast majority of PC-133 512 MB DIMMs are high-density. If you can find a PC-100 512 MB DIMM, you will be much more likely to have success.

A high-density DIMM will have only 8 or 9 chips; a low-density DIMM will have 16 or more. You want a DIMM with more chips, not fewer.

LFMS

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 20, 2014
How many ram chips are on that stick of memory and on what sides are they on?

There are 16 chips (8 on each side). The previous one I had (256Mb) has 8 chips (4 in each side).

Thanks!

----------

The vast majority of PC-133 512 MB DIMMs are high-density. If you can find a PC-100 512 MB DIMM, you will be much more likely to have success.

A high-density DIMM will have only 8 or 9 chips; a low-density DIMM will have 16 or more. You want a DIMM with more chips, not fewer.

Mine has 16 chips, so I guess that there's probably something wrong with the RAM then..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.