Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BNHabs

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 5, 2010
When I put my MBA 13 to sleep, and wake it up after a few minutes, the wifi is not connected to my network and reconnects itself automatically to my network which takes a few seconds.

This takes two seconds - but my question is, is this normal? Should the MBA wake up connected to the network, or does it connect to it after two seconds?

If I put my MBA to sleep and wake it up within a few seconds, it's connected opposed to connecting to the network which takes a few seconds (if MBA is in sleep for a few minutes).

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
If your MBA is in sleep mode it will not be connected to your WiFi.

When you wake it up it should reconnect. 2 seconds is not bad at all.

All sounds normal to me. Just relax and enjoy your new laptop!:apple:

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
If I put my MBA to sleep and wake it up within a few seconds, it's connected opposed to connecting to the network which takes a few seconds (if MBA is in sleep for a few minutes).

Not sure what the point of that would be…. why would you only put the computer to sleep for a few seconds? Most likely, it hasn't fully entered sleep mode and that's why it's connected.

My 2013 MBA connects to my Airport Time Capsule very quickly - a few seconds. I guess faster is always better, but this seems pretty good to me. :)

BNHabs

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 5, 2010
Not sure what the point of that would be…. why would you only put the computer to sleep for a few seconds? Most likely, it hasn't fully entered sleep mode and that's why it's connected.

My 2013 MBA connects to my Airport Time Capsule very quickly - a few seconds. I guess faster is always better, but this seems pretty good to me. :)

So it's normal then when it wakes it takes a few seconds to automatically connect back to my wifi?

Just want to confirm :)

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
I find that, if I "quickly" re-open the laptop, after having closed it, because I just forgot to do whatever, it takes the machine a little longer to right itself. The machine doesn't shutdown INSTANTLY, there is a shutdown sequence it goes through. I don't really have an explanation other than, just like when you power reset something, they say to wait 10 seconds before power things back up, they say to "discharge the capacitors completely..." I used to work with mainframe computers and you NEVER force shutdown anything because that corrupted the databases between other things and it would take forever to boot it back up because the machine has to re-index, and go through a lengthly diagnostics to make sure everything is OK etc.

For this behavior of my machine, I stop my impatience, go get a glass of water, pee whatever, then re-open my laptop normally.

cerberusss

macrumors 6502a
Aug 25, 2013
The Netherlands
With the modem my internet provider gave me, it would take between 2 and 10 seconds. I got a dual-band wireless router from TP-Link and now it takes less than a second.

My advice would be to experiment with routers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.