Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Amid rumors that Apple is developing a Lightning cable with a reversible USB connector, third-party accessory vendor Truffol has begun selling a reversible USB Lightning cable on its website, beating Apple to the punch.

Priced at $9.99, the reversible cable advertised by Truffol is designed to be inserted into a USB port in either direction, a shift from a traditional USB cable that can only be inserted in one direction. While the cable is not Apple-approved and thus not Made for iPhone (MFi) certified, Truffol has told MacRumors that its cable works with both existing iOS devices and the upcoming iPhone 6. Using non-certified third-party iPhone accessories is not recommended by Apple, however, and in the past, some third-party accessories have caused damage to iOS devices.

lightningcablereversible.jpg
It is not clear whether these third-party reversible USB Lightning cables were already in development ahead of the rumors suggesting Apple was developing its own reversible solution or if they were designed in response to rumors, but their sudden availability may possibly hint at the existence of an Apple-branded reversible cable. Truffol told MacRumors that it believes the idea for the third-party reversible Lightning cables originated from "insider Apple sources."

Rumors of an Apple-branded Lightning cable with a reversible USB connector first surfaced last week in the form of leaked images and videos, but Apple initially filed a patent application for the technology in January 2014, which became public in late July.

Video depicting alleged Apple Lightning cable with reversible USB connector
Apple may face some legal hurdles if it launches a reversible Lightning USB cable. A California company named UltraTek holds a patent for a reversible USB connector and already sells reversible USB cables through a number of different online retailers, but it is possible Apple has licensed the technology or developed a solution that is different enough not to infringe on UltraTek's existing technology.

A second Apple patent filing that was published earlier this week suggests Apple has indeed improved on current reversible USB connector designs, as it details a cable with a flexible internal connector. Described as a flexible "tongue," Apple's design would allow a USB connector to flex to fit into any existing USB port regardless of insertion orientation. The flexible design may be superior to existing reversible USB designs because it allows for a thicker, sturdier middle "stalk" and a stronger connection with contacts.

It is possible that Apple's rumored Lightning cable with a reversible USB connector might debut as soon as September, introduced alongside the iPhone 6 that's expected to be unveiled at a September 9 media event.

Article Link: Third-Party Vendor Beats Apple to Market With Reversible Lightning USB Cables

Eorlas

macrumors 65816
Feb 10, 2010
Possibly rushed cable based on rumors?

Sounds like something I have no interest in connecting to my expensive iPhone, or iPad, and especially not an iPhone 6 when I get one.

Moto G

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2014
Prepare for more "Apple cable caused fire / shock" news even though it's another knockoff cable.

How is something "knock off", just because Apple didn't manufacture and sell it? Does that mean that every item sold outside Apple, on planet earth, EVER, is "knock off"?

Knock it off.

newyorksole

macrumors 603
Apr 2, 2008
New York.
I'm sure Apple wouldn't release the cable without having proper certification .

I believe we will see these cables alongside new iOS devices this Fall .

coolfactor

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
How is something "knock off", just because Apple didn't manufacture and sell it? Does that mean that every item sold outside Apple, on planet earth, EVER, is "knock off"?

Knock it off.

In this case, I think the line between "certified" and "not certified" is getting blurred and non-certified cables and devices are being referred to as knock-offs because they are not blessed by Apple.

That said, I will only buy products certified by Apple. Not worth the risk.

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
Or, you know, the "leaked" photos and video were of this actual product, rather than an actual Apple product. (Not saying Apple won't do this, just that the 'leaks' could have been on purpose by this company to drum up interest.)

chrisbru

macrumors 6502a
May 8, 2008
Austin, TX

Knock it off.

Well it's a lightning cable not manufactured by Apple and presumably not done per MFi specs so... Yeah, its a knockoff.

osofast240sx

macrumors 68030
Mar 25, 2011

Knock it off.
because they are using Apple's Proprietory lightning connector.

xmichaelp

macrumors 68000
Jul 10, 2012
Cool. Now people can blow themselves up with another shoddy third party cable.

Third party cables; not even once.

jclo

Managing Editor
Staff member
Dec 7, 2012
Or, you know, the "leaked" photos and video were of this actual product, rather than an actual Apple product. (Not saying Apple won't do this, just that the 'leaks' could have been on purpose by this company to drum up interest.)

Very true, zero way to tell whether the cables in the images/videos are authentic and from Apple. Apple's recent patents suggest an actual Apple-branded version is in the works though.

Lightning cables have been around since 2012, and reversible USB connectors have been around even longer. Why are reversible USB Lightning cables just now surfacing? Kind of hints at third-party vendors copying something Apple decided to do.

pubwvj

macrumors 68000
Oct 1, 2004
Mountains of Vermont
"Purchasing third-party cables is not recommended by Apple, however, as they can cause damage to [delete]iOS devices[/delete] Apple's profit margins."​

Correction in italics.

PocketSand11

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2014
~/

Knock it off.

Non-certified Lightning cables vs certified ones. Apple holds the patent for the Lightning connector itself. I don't care anyway and have bought 20 uncertified ones, each for less than $1, and they work fine.

----------

Purchasing third-party cables is not recommended by Apple, however, as they can cause damage to iOS devices.

I don't know about this. The linked article is mainly about the iPhone 5 being damaged by faulty chargers, and it mentions cables only once somewhere. No details about how the cable itself could be harmful were there. I remember asking about this before. People somehow confuse chargers and cables, and it's an important distinction to make.

----------

"Purchasing third-party cables is not recommended by Apple, however, as they can cause damage to [delete]iOS devices[/delete] Apple's profit margins."​

Correction in italics.

Yeah, I think this is more accurate.

PowerBook-G5

macrumors 65816
Jul 30, 2013
I do believe that comments such as "First!" and posting several unnecessary images about it is against the rules. I *cough* suggest that MOTO G stop spamming the thread *cough* #

Last edited:

PowerBook-G5

macrumors 65816
Jul 30, 2013
Mate, I was just having some fun. But you shouldn't post "First!" on articles...unless were you referring to the fact that this is first reversible USB to Lightning cable.

bluespark

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2009
Chicago
Purchasing third-party cables is not recommended by Apple . . . .

Yet another example of egregiously bad reporting by MacRumors: Apple takes no position on what cables users should "purchase"; its focus is on what cables should be used. Also, Apple actually authorizes certain third party cables; it is dead wrong to assert generally that the use of third-party cables is "not recommended."

Get it right, Mac Rumors.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.