Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mrs1986

macrumors regular
Apr 21, 2011
Uruguay
I'm looking for a rMBP 15" sleeve and couldn't find one yet.

1. High quality material (leather, cork, ...)
2. A recess/cutout(?) so I can charge my Macbook while its in the case
3. An external pocket/compartment for the charger

So something like this but with a pocket.

The incase icon sleeve is not leather but seems to be of really high quality.

Any one can say if these hard cases can scratch the laptop?

Liberty.

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2008
The incase icon sleeve is not leather but seems to be of really high quality. Any one can say if these hard cases can scratch the laptop?
I already looked at it but neither does it offer a way to charge my device nor a pocket to transport my charger.

malandra

macrumors regular
Oct 1, 2003
Normally an SFBags sleeve is pretty darn tight. I have never tried to put a skin on my laptops and tried to put them in a SFBag sleeve, but I have used a slim line USB device and it wouldn't fit.
I use my laptops all the time on such surfaces without fear of a lot of scratches. I get more concerned when I use mine up on a ladder at work, or when I am having to use it on bare concrete when working on a construction job. Even with those scenarios, no major scuffs or scratches. The feet get a little worn, but its my understanding they can be replaced. I never had to replace them on my 4 year old MBA.

This is really helpful, thanks.

It sounds like if I want a hard shell, the outback solo you're using would be a better choice as there is some wiggle room. I can't imagine applying a skin would be a size issue for the sleeve though--it's like thinking your jeans wouldn't fit if you put some stickers on your butt:)

But with your advice, I'm leaning towards just the skin anyway. I don't have ample opportunity to drop the thing, and don't really want the extra clunk of the hard shell. Or the weight.

Speaking of weight...is that outback solo bag super heavy with its leather flap? I'm having a hard time deciding between that and the minimalist outback sleeve. I like the fact that I could put my paperback and my notebook in the back compartment, but I don't want to lug something super heavy around.

Liberty.

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2008
Did you checked the inateck ones? They are cheap, felt like material, have side pockets but don't think big enough, BUT they come with a pouch for the charger... Check them on amazon...
I will, but I'm not a big fan of felt since it fuzzes and doesn't offer any kind of protection :)

JHUFrank

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2010
This is really helpful, thanks.

It sounds like if I want a hard shell, the outback solo you're using would be a better choice as there is some wiggle room. I can't imagine applying a skin would be a size issue for the sleeve though--it's like thinking your jeans wouldn't fit if you put some stickers on your butt:)

But with your advice, I'm leaning towards just the skin anyway. I don't have ample opportunity to drop the thing, and don't really want the extra clunk of the hard shell. Or the weight.

Speaking of weight...is that outback solo bag super heavy with its leather flap? I'm having a hard time deciding between that and the minimalist outback sleeve. I like the fact that I could put my paperback and my notebook in the back compartment, but I don't want to lug something super heavy around.

I don't consider it heavy at all. I did order it with straps, and most of the time carry it on my shoulder. The big pouch on the front is pretty awesome, holds a lot of stuff. The smaller pouch is perfect for an iphone 5, but mine holds pens, pocket knife, Ethernet adapter and other small clutter.
My Outback Solo secondary function is as a sleeve that fits into my Muzetto Outback Waxed Canvas bag, so I can carry a lot of gear if necessary. I just wrap the straps around the Solo, and slide it right into the Muzetto.

Liberty.

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2008
I'm still looking for something like this, this or this, but with a way to charge the battery:

5Y8trVS.jpg

and a pocket for my charger. I'm not a fan of these pure felt-sleeves.

rpearlberg

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2010
Does anyone have the Acme Made Skinny sleeve? I'm wondering if a 13" rMPB with the Speck shell will fit...

Liberty.

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2008
I'm still looking for something like this, this or this, but with a way to charge the battery:

and a pocket for my charger. I'm not a fan of these pure felt-sleeves.
Still haven't found anything. The CitySlicker looks okay, but it's not a sleeve and doesn't offer the possibility to charge my Macbook while it stays inside. I'm really looking for a sleeve, without a huge flap cause this makes it a case/bag.

SpottieOttie

macrumors newbie
Jan 8, 2014
Just picked up an everlane backpack in navy. Had a hard time deciding what color but they all look great. $65 doesn't seen too expensive for it either.

9f8ea117_f47e.jpg

anarti

macrumors regular
Nov 28, 2012
Scotland
Hi all. I'm looking for a hard rugged case for 13inch retina. Any of you use Pelican Case 1070 for that macbook model? Can't get enough information on the internet if it will accomodate retina.

Cheers

TRJMacNoob

macrumors newbie
Aug 23, 2014
Just bought this from Apple for my new MBP Retina and it arrived today!

Thule 13"

It isn't snug but is very protective and can be used whilst the macbook is open (very useful if you don't want a 'snap-on' cover but still want some degree of protection while your'e out and about!

Very impressed.

apfelmann

macrumors 6502
Jul 23, 2007
I think I found the coolest ones

I spent quite some time searching amazon for a nice sleeve/bag for my new rMBP 15", only to find out that the best (and probably coolest) sleeves/bags for apple products are made in my home country Austria :)

check out these cool and affordable offerings (worldwide shipping):

here the link to 15" sleeves and bags:
https://www.urbantool.com/en/bags/gadget-size/15inch.html

they have them for many other apple devices too.

here are photos of the sleeve and bag I got

Attachments

• slotstar_pinstripe_filled_o.jpg
    slotstar_pinstripe_filled_o.jpg
    396.7 KB · Views: 184
  • slyskin15_all_front_o.jpg
    slyskin15_all_front_o.jpg
    183.8 KB · Views: 220

JazzMat

macrumors newbie
Aug 2, 2014
MBPr 15 Bag with lots of pockets?

I'm looking for an attache/briefcase/shoulder bag for my new MBPr 15". I would like
pockets for a super drive, charger, iPad, phone, and miscellaneous papers, file folders, etc. I have always used my laptop cases as briefcases, stuffing a lot of crap into them.

I attempted to plow through the 100+ pages of this thread, but am asking for you to take mercy on me and help cut to the proverbial chase. Recommendations? Thanks!

GadgetComa

macrumors member
Jul 20, 2011
Many, many thanks to everyone who posted reviews and suggestions. I just bought a 15" Macbook Pro Retina and was struggling to narrow down the choices for a sleeve case. I really did read all 103+ pages of posts! (I am CDO - that's OCD with the letters in the right damn order! :D).

I went so far as to create a rating matrix to evaluate the final few choices and settled on the Brenthaven BX2 Sleeve II (http://www.brenthaven.com/bx2™-sleeve-ii-black). If you like it or any other Brenthaven case, the code BHFAN will save you 10%.

I'll follow up with my thoughts on the case once I get it.

Thanks again, everyone.

- Leon

arkmannj

macrumors 68000
Oct 1, 2003
UT
Hello,
So I saw this fantastic (Faux) Leather messenger/shoulder bag that I think was a blue(ish) color and had white diagonal stripes on (one) corner. The bag seemed well constructed.

It was big enough for a laptop, and a couple books. Does anyone know what kind of bag this might be? I've looked and looked for it, but I'm hoping someone out there may know what it is and point me in the right direction.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.