Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Nintendo would've done better if they skipped the GamePad this generation all together - the system would've come in cheaper and more developers would have developed for the the Wii U.

See that's it right there. I like what the gamepad does, but it could be relegated to an optional accessory. I admire Nintendo's approach of "all or nothing" innovation.

Would I want the next Nintendo system to be just like the Xbox or Playstation? No way. But I hope their next trick is a good one.

T'hain Esh Kelch

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2001
Denmark
Removing the gamepad would give the Wii U absolutely no leverage over the PS4 and Xbone, since Nintendo is so incredibly slow at putting out AAA games. They hoped to draw in people as they did with the Wiimotes, but apparently failed to realize why a tablet wouldn't be interesting for a console.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Yeah, don't remove it now but don't include it with the next system. I don't like it as a second screen but I love it for off-screen play. Something I wish the PS4/Vita could do better. There's a lag present on those 2 that isn't there for the Wii U.

musicpenguy

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2006
Yeah, don't remove it now but don't include it with the next system. I don't like it as a second screen but I love it for off-screen play. Something I wish the PS4/Vita could do better. There's a lag present on those 2 that isn't there for the Wii U.

Yea I wonder if the GamePad will be supported on the next console if only for backwards compatibility mode?

crzdcolombian

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2010
I doubt Nintendo will make another console unless they get bought out. These things are really expensive to develop. I like what they try to do by making things innovative but you really can't get a better controller then the wave bird they had for Gamecube. That controller was perfect minus the battery life :)

I don't feel the gamepad has really added anything to the gaming experience. and the wii remote control is cool and some games but nothing beats a normal controller in most games. Having to use the stupid wii mote and nuncuck was one of the things that sucked with the Metriod other M game. People don't want Super Nintendo games with better graphics and kind of what the Wii feels like. Hey lets just remake all our previous Super NES games. While you are at it remake FF6 and Chrono Trigger/Crisis

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
What what? The WiiU has not exactly been a success, and it is quite clear that Nintendo still doesn't get "online".
What about it? The Xbox 360 got Online perfectly, didn't stop it coming last place last gen. For the past 10 years the only console to not finish first has been a Microsoft one, they also can't get a foothold on mobile, handheld or tablet.

But it's Nintendo that has to worry? The company that's currently in 2nd in consoles and dominating in handheld, and dominated last gen in consoles.

twietee

macrumors 603
Jan 24, 2012
lol, this discussion - again?

At the start of this year, Nintendo was worth more than Sony - and not just their playstation business.

Where do you people make up your mind when you think Nintendo needs to be bought out to make another console?

musicpenguy

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2006
When people say that Nintendo is done with home consoles ... they obviously don't know Nintendo - they don't know that they already have another home console in R and D and their entire company is about gaming and that is what they do - sure Microsoft or Sony could stop because they do other things - but Nintendo is entirely about gaming that is their passion.

They will weather the financial storms because their successes allow them to do that

twietee

macrumors 603
Jan 24, 2012
Take that Nintendo(g) doubters! :D

tumblr_l1v5at6ZYB1qzado8o1_250.gif

But mostly because I love that gif.

blesscheese

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2010
Central CA
I'll just point out to everyone, but esp. to the Wii U owners, who will listen:

The recent talk of "exclusives" is interesting...the XBox exclusive Titanfall is available on PC...I almost cried when I heard that the Grim Fandango remake was going to be a PS4 exclusive, but then it was announced that it would be a PS4 "console exclusive," and would be out on PC.

Even after the dust settled on the supposed Tomb Raider "exclusive" for the XBox, it is turning out to be "timed exclusivity"

So, with my Wii U and PC, I can still play pretty much any game...nothing against the other consoles, I'd buy them all if I was single...

blesscheese

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2010
Central CA
And the new MGS will also be on PC. These are the times.

I think "these times" are a lot like Hollywood movie productions right now: it takes a lot of money to make a new AAA game, which means "a lot of risk."

Big companies are averse to risk, so they are looking for "sure things," such as sequels, movie tie-ins, and established IP's. To re-coup their money, they also need to push it out on as many platforms as possible, which makes trying to get exclusives interesting.

I think the winner of this round of console "wars" would be the one who can get the best quality (or most quantity) indie developer games on board, to spice up their available line of games.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
I think the winner of this round of console "wars" would be the one who can get the best quality (or most quantity) indie developer games on board, to spice up their available line of games.

That, and the that makes those AAA look or play better. That's effectively the only difference now. Aside from 1st party titles (Hi Nintendo!).

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
I'm growing dissapointed with my Wii U and Nintendo way of handling the problems its having selling it to 1) consumers and 2) developers.

We have Hyrule Warriors - looks OK but repetitive as hell. Bayonetta 2 which again should be good, and then Smash Bros.... That's probably it till spring next year ...... As good as any of those games may be I don't see them shifting consoles if Mario Kart and Mario 3D only gave it a tiny kick up the bum. Smash Bros is popular but only with Nintendo elitesist and they likely have the Wii U anyway.

Now no more adult UbiSoft games, so no Zombie U 2. No call of duty this year either .... The loyalist developers are walking away and who can blame them if development costs on Wii u versions are not worth the time and trouble from sales earned.

Cnasty

macrumors 68040
Jul 2, 2008
I'm growing dissapointed with my Wii U and Nintendo way of handling the problems its having selling it to 1) consumers and 2) developers.

We have Hyrule Warriors - looks OK but repetitive as hell. Bayonetta 2 which again should be good, and then Smash Bros.... That's probably it till spring next year ...... As good as any of those games may be I don't see them shifting consoles if Mario Kart and Mario 3D only gave it a tiny kick up the bum. Smash Bros is popular but only with Nintendo elitesist and they likely have the Wii U anyway.

Now no more adult UbiSoft games, so no Zombie U 2. No call of duty this year either .... The loyalist developers are walking away and who can blame them if development costs on Wii u versions are not worth the time and trouble from sales earned.

Not interested in?:
Splatoon
That Toad Game
Yarn Yoshi
New Zelda Game

Those all look pretty good to me.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Not interested in?:
Splatoon
That Toad Game
Yarn Yoshi
New Zelda Game

Those all look pretty good to me.

Yeah but its likely as I say we won't see 1 of those till early spring, one about 3 months later and splatoon late summer 2015... Zelda sometime in 2016........

twietee

macrumors 603
Jan 24, 2012
Isn't everybody complaining about lack of new games though - regardless the system?

I'm personally not getting any of those you listed (Warriors, Bayo, Smash) but still have a ton of games I liked but played only very little. That Toad game looks actually very nice though and I may get SMW3d at some point, not sure.

But, yeah; would have been dissapointed too in my (much) younger years when I was more involved. Now I have the money but neither the time nor passion to sink that much time into it. True tragedy. :D

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Isn't everybody complaining about lack of new games though - regardless the system?
It's not bad on the PC front, and there are plenty of interesting indie titles on all systems at the moment. All I really want now on any system is the new Silent Hill game (expecting to wait a long time for this :() and Smash Bros.

Suture

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2007
I'd love a new Metroid, Castlevania, and Kid Icarus. I enjoy the classic franchises. But when I bought my Wii U Zelda edition, that's what I was targeting. I wound up picking up all the Wii games I wanted (Zeldas, Metroids), and just keeping them for when I get around to it. I haven't really seen any new games come up that interest me personally.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
I want ZombiU 2. The first one was brilliant. I want another!

Me too, but Ubisofts confirmation that there will be no adult oriented games after watchdogs for the wii u basically kills any hopes. Of course a PS4 or XB1 re-imagining could be good, though it was the wii remote that made the game. It was also likely the best use of wii remote screen yet.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.