Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mavis

macrumors 601
Jul 30, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
You sure it's the RAM and not safari specifically? Hmmm.....

No idea. It used to happen on my iPad 3 (particularly with iOS7?), but I chalked that up to selective memory and an aging device. But now it happens consistently with my rMini, both on iOS7 and 8. So if it is just a problem with Safari, it's one they haven't been able to figure out for a long while now.

dannys1

macrumors 68040
Sep 19, 2007
UK
irrelevant?...i hate when my safari browsers tabs reload when switching between.

On your phone??

----------

Pay attention folks. These are the types of comments made when people confuse their own cluelessness with irrelevancy. They are not the same.

Yeah, I'm sure your iPhone 5S experience is extremely limited by your lack of an additional 2gb of ram, I'm sure you're thinking that every day whilst using it aren't you?

----------

Guy has his signature announce every single overpriced incremental spec upgrade he has ever purchased.
Claims that doubling the RAM is irrelevant.

Only on MacRumors.

No I bough tall my ram from Crucial thanks, on my Macbook, iMac and Mac Mini it makes a difference, on my iPhone it doesn't yet....smartarse

----------

Irrevevant in most circumstances, sure...

Ever hear of the Mobile Safari reloading tab issue? Quite anoying. Sometimes more RAM is welcome.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1672010/

Yes I have...on iPads.

Moto G

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2014
"Woooo..." :rolleyes:

Even a bloke like me can do a better job, in TEN MINS - what a crock:

14817185290_0b6377579f_b.jpg

2IS

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2011
On your phone??

----------

Yeah, I'm sure your iPhone 5S experience is extremely limited by your lack of an additional 2gb of ram, I'm sure you're thinking that every day whilst using it aren't you?

----------

No I bough tall my ram from Crucial thanks, on my Macbook, iMac and Mac Mini it makes a difference, on my iPhone it doesn't yet....smartarse

----------

Yes I have...on iPads.

It is limited by it's 1GB of ram, and those limitations have been illustrated in several posts in this thread alone. Ignorance... I know it hard, but at least try having less of it.

An example, you applying you own usage model to everyone else and thinking because you wouldn't benefit, no one else would either. Better a smart ass than, well... you know how that ends.

dannys1

macrumors 68040
Sep 19, 2007
UK
It is limited by it's 1GB of ram, and those limitations have been illustrated in several posts in this thread alone. Ignorance... I know it hard, but at least try having less of it.

An example, you applying you own usage model to everyone else and thinking because you wouldn't benefit, no one else would either. Better a smart ass than, well... you know how that ends.

Where the only examples ever mentioned in this thread are to do with the iPad and most people kicking off are for some reason going on about the 1gb in their IPad when it mentions clearing it MIGHT be in the iPhone.

If you really find the iPhone unusable due to its memory usage, why don't you swap to a 3gb equipt LG, i'm sure its a much more user friendly experience!

Andrei90

macrumors 6502
Dec 28, 2011
Exactly right! Getting hung up on these numbers is crazy. All that really matters is final performance. It's like complaining about how large a car's gas tank is instead of it's MPG.

What does it matter if my Car is 10 MPG when the damn tank can only hold 1 G? I would need to stop at the Gas station way more than I would like to refill the tank.

2IS

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2011
Where the only examples ever mentioned in this thread are to do with the iPad and most people kicking off are for some reason going on about the 1gb in their IPad when it mentions clearing it MIGHT be in the iPhone.

If you really find the iPhone unusable due to its memory usage, why don't you swap to a 3gb equipt LG, i'm sure its a much more user friendly experience!

Because I'd rather have an iPhone, therefore I'm going to complain about it, and I'm not concerned with whether or not you like it. I'm ok with you being an Apple sheep, likewise, you'll just have to get used to the fact that I'm not.

dannys1

macrumors 68040
Sep 19, 2007
UK
Because I'd rather have an iPhone, therefore I'm going to complain about it, and I'm not concerned with whether or not you like it. I'm ok with you being an Apple sheep, likewise, you'll just have to get used to the fact that I'm not.

and once again I point out, there are no examples of 1gb in the iPhone affecting user experience, all the examples in the thread are for the iPad which I agree is lacking.

mikeash

macrumors member
Aug 21, 2014
Update 7:19 AM: As noted in our forums, the schematic's references DDR and NAND suggests that it more likely refers to some aspect of the device's flash memory rather than DRAM included within the A8 chip.

Good, so people can stop crying now. We don't know for sure how much RAM yet/.

Creep89

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2012
Don't switch tabs? You are trolling, right?

What about quoting something from another website? Looking up something while writing a longer reply? You can't be serious.:rolleyes:

Grolubao

macrumors 68000
Dec 23, 2008
London, UK
Aahahah some people find the lamest excuses to forgive Apple for a bad design. I like my iPad air, but seriously it needs more memory.

It's not just the tabs reloading it's switching from App to App completely kills the previous App simply because it doesn't have more memory.

If there's no 2gb of RAM I'm not upgrading, period!

mikeash

macrumors member
Aug 21, 2014
Aahahah some people find the lamest excuses to forgive Apple for a bad design. I like my iPad air, but seriously it needs more memory.

It's not just the tabs reloading it's switching from App to App completely kills the previous App simply because it doesn't have more memory.

If there's no 2gb of RAM I'm not upgrading, period!

Great! Less people in my way on launch day! Bye :)

2IS

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2011
and once again I point out, there are no examples of 1gb in the iPhone affecting user experience, all the examples in the thread are for the iPad which I agree is lacking.

There are, you choosing to ignore them because they're not as prominent as on the iPad doesn't equate them to not existing. Lets also not forget, the iPhone 6 is larger with a higher resolution. Significantly so if the rumored 5.5" version exists. Lets also not forget apps are getting more sophisticated, which undoubtedly leads to higher memory utilization. The OS itself is also more sophisticated. All these things will need more memory than the requirements of two years ago.

Hey, I like Apple products, but unlike yourself, I'm not going to let that blind me to the obvious nor am I willing to convince myself that it's perfectly ok that the device has not gained any additional functionality in this respect, and probably even lost some.

Count Blah

macrumors 68040
Jan 6, 2004
US of A
Don't switch tabs? You are trolling, right?

What about quoting something from another website? Looking up something while writing a longer reply? You can't be serious.:rolleyes:

With non-critical thinking Apple defenders, it's Apples' bottom line/interests #1, and user experience #2(if not lower).

The rational is mind-boggling. I fight it all the time in the iPad forum.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.